Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In chm output clicking Home button displays blank page

Dec 26, 2012 Dec 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In chm output generated by Robohelp, when I click  the Home button the message "This program cannot display the webpage" is displayed.

Chm Output.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you are running the CHM from a network drive or you have downloaded it from the internet.

CHMs need to be on a local drive. Move it and right click the file, you will see a check box that needs ticking.

To run the file from a network location is a bit more complicated. See http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/chm_mspatch/896358.htm

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Assuming other pages are displaying fine, I'm guessing the network isn't the issue here.

Unfortunately, RoboHelp does a poor job of effectively helping those of us that like CHM format. What is happening to you is that nothing has been configured for the Home button. So you will have to take the following steps.

Open the Project Set-up pod.

Ensure you have a CHM window defined.

Click the Advanced Properties button.

Add the path and file name to the Home field. (You will need to be somewhat careful that you get this spot on if your page is in a folder)

Click OK to dismiss the Advanced Windows Properties dialog.

Click OK to dismiss the Window Properties dialog.

Re-compile the CHM and your Home button should now work.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops... I see that I never advised that you should open the Window Properties!

SHAME on me!

I'm off to sit in the corner for an hour now... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am facing the same problem for the Home button. I tried your solution and it worked for the one of my CHMs. But, I have an issue. I am using one CHM window for 6 different CHM files that I am generating from one project. If I set a specific html file in the Home field, then I am getting the error for other CHM file.

How we can configure the Home button for different CHMs in one project.

-Charudatta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In that case I think I would create multiple CHM window definitions. Assign the correct Home link for each window definition. Then create six different Single Source Layout recipes. In each recipe, nominate the corresponding CHM window definition.

From there forward, it should be a simple matter of choosing the desired Single Source Layout recipe!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your help. Yes, I did the exactly same and it is working correctly.

Actually, I was looking for a solution where the default html topic mentioned in the single source layout properties can be pulled automatically in single CHM window. But, I think this feature is not available in Robohelp.

Regards,

Charudatta M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, that might make for an interesting feature request. I'd heartily encourage you to file one using the link below:

Click here

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rick,

I submitted the feature request.

-Charudatta M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp