3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2012 5:12 PM by Steve Grisetti

PE-11 Freezes After Startup, Displaying Main Screen

ReedWhite Level 1

I have installed PSE-11 and PE-11 from CDs to a 64-bit Windows 7 system on an ASUS 17" power laptop with i7 Quad Intel processor and GeForce 460M graphics hardware, and dual 7200 RPM drives.

Photoshop Elements and the Organizer seem to work, but Premiere Elements mostly freezes after startup when it displays the main screen.  Serious problems begin if I try to resize or move the PE-11 window.  Fragments of PE-11's image and background windows get sprinkled around.  I can only escape the mess if I do a ctrl-alt-del and kill the PE-11 task.

Eventually, to remove possible causes and try a clean system, I restored the laptop to factory image and:

- Installed all Windows updates (now Service Pack 1).

- Installed all ASUS updates.

- Installed newset drivers for GeForce 460M hardware.

- Verified there are no new PE-11 updates.

- Did NOT install any other software other than Adobe except, except QuickTime and iTunes.

Can anyone please say why PE-11 fails to work properly in this environment?

Thanks ... Reed

• 1. Re: PE-11 Freezes After Startup, Displaying Main Screen
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It definitely should not.

Something else is going on on your system that we probably can't diagnose on this forum. Have you contacted Adobe Tech Support?

EDIT:

One possibility: What resolution is your monitor set to? If it does not meet Premiere Elements minimum specs, the program will not be able run.

• 2. Re: PE-11 Freezes After Startup, Displaying Main Screen
            ReedWhite Level 1

Steve, I followed your suggestion and contacted Adobe's "chat" help.  It took several hours ("chat" is slow), but the support guy did an excellent job of finding the needle in the haystak.

This problem does not effect any other programs on my computer except PE-11.  Yet, there is an unholy interaction between PE-11 and two of the Windows desktop themes: "Windows Classic" and "Windows 7 Basic".  If either of these two are selected, PE-11 becomes unuseable, at least on my computer -- and my computer's specifications far exceed the minimum specifications for PE-11.  In short, the workaround is to avoid those two themes.

The cause of the problem is obscure and difficult to locate, so I hope this post saves a user some grief in the future.  Hats off to Adobe support for finding a workaround for this bug.

... Reed

• 3. Re: PE-11 Freezes After Startup, Displaying Main Screen
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for reporting back, Reed! Hopefully, that will help someone else avoid a lot of frustration.