4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2012 11:21 AM by apark2900

How editorial(non-programmer) uses CQ as content repository?

apark2900

I am a newbee in CQ playing with Dev. verion of CQ now.

I got a sense how to build a webpage in CQ.

However, I still do not understand how our editorial department comes in CQ and write, modify, delete articles in CQ.

their main job is not design webpage, but write content.

From documentation, it seems like editorial(non programmer) should create a CQ webpage everytime they want to write something.

Is there anyway they can save their writing as a unit inside of DAM as an asset? and search it, modify it, reuse it for future publishing to a new webpage?

• 1. Re: How editorial(non-programmer) uses CQ as content repository?
          orotas Level 4

Check out the Scaffolding feature - http://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/wcm/scaffolding.html. Under the covers this still creates a page so you need to have a template that page is based on but it allows the workflow you are describing.

By defaut scaffolding creates items in a single directory. If you are creating large numbers of items using scaffolding this can lead to performance problems so you may want to consider periodically changing the location your scaffolding config points to our using something like a workflow to move/categorize the items in some way.

Once you create an item if you want edit it you navigate to the item through the normal site admin console and open it. When you open the item it appears in the standard authoring view, but you can switch to scaffolding view if you wish using the side kick.

• 2. Re: How editorial(non-programmer) uses CQ as content repository?
            Sham HC Level 7

Hi apark2900,

Looking at your description I believe on next release[1] there a  New Article-based authoring and component meeting your exact need.  If you are already part of our beta program please post in beta forum so that you can validate.  If you are not part of beta program please file a daycare.

[1]   http://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/beta.html

Thanks,

Sham

• 3. Re: How editorial(non-programmer) uses CQ as content repository?
              Jörg Hoh Adobe Employee

Hi apark2900,

It usually depends on the purpose you use CQ5 for. If you use it as a plattform to manage your website, your editorial staff will be responsible for the content and the arrangement of the content on the page (the layout). For that you need to give them the ability to create this according to the business needs. For these cases the CQ5 editmode is perfectly suited.

But if your editors should only be able to create content (= type in characters and create a minimal paragraph structure), then the scaffolding mode (available since CQ 5.3) mentioned by orotas or the "Article based authoring" feature of CQ 5.6 might be useful for you. In all cases editors don't design, but they only leverage the possibilities built-in into the templates and components.

Jörg

• 4. Re: How editorial(non-programmer) uses CQ as content repository?
                apark2900 Level 1

HI Jorg,

thanks for the reply.

I understand now the power of Scaffold feature which simplify my editorial staff's work.

What if they want to search the content that they created before?

This is very often case when they want to reuse the phrase that they wrote before.

Is there any advanced search features availabe?

If so, which platform should they use it from? - DAM?, WCM? or Web Edit Mode?