9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2013 7:05 PM by Guggi0

How does the Anti-Flicker Filter work?

Guggi0

Some frames of the background in my video have variable luminosity; some are darker or brighter than the average.

I used in APE10 the Anti-Flicker Filter but not effect.

How can I correct the background luminosity for all frames to an average?

Peter

• 1. Re: How does the Anti-Flicker Filter work?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Flicker removal blends frames to limit the effects of interlacing.

I'm not sure how to fix a video with quality issues as you describe.

• 2. Re: How does the Anti-Flicker Filter work?
            Guggi0 Level 1

I found the source of the flickering video; it’s the Shadow/Highlight Effect which is added automatically to the video on the timeline.

This is quite surprising; a standard effect with default settings is worsening the result!?

Any ideas how to tune the Shadow/Highlight Effect in an efficient way to get fast good results?

Peter

• 3. Re: How does the Anti-Flicker Filter work?

It depends. Is the subject matter of your clip relatively stable, like someone standing in one place, or is there a lot of movement and changing scenery and lighting conditions?

Describe your clip -- or, better yet, post a sample of it. The Shadow/Highlight may not be the best solution.

• 4. Re: How does the Anti-Flicker Filter work?
                Guggi0 Level 1

Dear Steve,

Maybe flicker is not the right word, sorry.

My video source seems to be fine, more or less constant luminosity from frame to frame. However you rare right that there is almost always movements and changing scenery and lighting conditions, but not from frame to frame.

But I would expect that the Shadow/Highlight Effect (which is standard) can handle this. But as a result, it generates from time to time some frames with darker and brighter luminosity, for me the video looks like a flickering. 

Do I need to post a sample in youtube to make it available?

Thanks.

Peter

• 5. Re: How does the Anti-Flicker Filter work?

Can you post a sample of it to YouTube or Vimeo and then post a link to it here on this forum so we can see it?

Shadow/Highlight is ideal for things like brightening a foreground subject when a bright background makes your subject look too dark. Is this what you're trying to correct? Can you post an example of it?

• 6. Re: How does the Anti-Flicker Filter work?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

I agree with Steve that seeing the footage (I would post a short piece, both with and without the Shadow & Highlight Effect), will be helpful.

With the Auto Effects, if there are changes in the lighting, within the Clip, one CAN get what I would term a "strobing" where the Effect attempts to apply the correction, but then when something changes in the Clip, it can "seek" a bit, to try and change the correction. Though it looks different, it is sort of like early aperture control on lenses, where the auto aperture would "seek" to correct the exposure, and at a change, would cause strobing. Same thing for auto focus, when the subject to sensor distance changes - the auto focus seeks to regain focus, and the initial changes go into and out of focus, until the sensors can finally lock in on the focus.

With Auto Effects, it is often better to Cut the Clip, where changes in lighting, or exposure occur, and let the Auto Effect work on just that portion of the Clip. The Auto Effects work best when there are not changes in the lighting, or exposure, and everything (except for subject motion) stays the same.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How does the Anti-Flicker Filter work?
                      Guggi0 Level 1

Peter and Steve,

Here the video, the first sequence with the effect Shadow & Highlight, the second sequence with no applied effects.

Peter

• 8. Re: How does the Anti-Flicker Filter work?

I'm not really seeing a reason to use this effect wth this sequence. Sorry.

What is it you're trying to fix with Shadow/Highlight?

• 9. Re: How does the Anti-Flicker Filter work?
                          Guggi0 Level 1

Dear Steve, yes I agree, the result is even worse with Shadow/Highlight.

But this effect is added to the video as standard in a default setting and as newcomer to APE10 it took me quite some time to find the reason why my videos have become worse.

So I wondered if I’m doing something wrong.

I assume we are dealing here with the ¨strobing¨ Peter has mentioned.

Now I conclude: For my next video I will first remove all Shadow/Highlight effects, then check the result and then add the effect to those scenes (including cutting down the clip where changes in lighting or exposure occur)  which deserve Shadow/Highlight treatment.

Thanks!

Peter