5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 4:02 AM by ukgaurav

Custom Batch Rename in PSE 11

Virid_12

Hi, I am using PSE 11 and am looking to batch rename my files with a custom name such as YYYYMMDD-Seq# when importing from a device. File>Rename only seems to allow to choosing a common base name but no more. Is there another way to do this? Thanks

• 1. Re: Custom Batch Rename in PSE 11
          MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you are using the option to upload from camera or card reader, the advanced dialog lets you choose an automatic creation of subfolders by date,

AND

you can rename your imported pictures with several choices, including date taken + custom name.

EDIT:

You can even customize your own naming template. (Sorry, my PSE11 is in French, a screnshot would not help...)

• 2. Re: Custom Batch Rename in PSE 11
            Virid_12 Level 1

Hi, that's great - thanks very much. Is there a way to use the same functionality for the exisiting photo library as well?  Many thanks

• 3. Re: Custom Batch Rename in PSE 11
              MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Virid_12 wrote:

Hi, that's great - thanks very much. Is there a way to use the same functionality for the exisiting photo library as well?  Many thanks

Unfortunately I don't think so.

I must say I do not rename on import, so I just discovered the nice 'custom template' renaming addition in PSE11.

Renaming within folders or when exporting makes sense for me, but renaming a whole library ? A bit risky anyway.

• 4. Re: Custom Batch Rename in PSE 11
                Virid_12 Level 1

Ok, thanks. I have set up a folder structure and would like to rename photos within those folders (to bring together photos from different people but same location etc). I only got PSE11 recently and am looking to tidy up my database before starting to use it properly. I might have to use a file renamer then - I was looking for something within PSE11 like the renamer in Photoscape. Many thanks

• 5. Re: Custom Batch Rename in PSE 11
                  ukgaurav Adobe Employee

Use file->process multiple files option in Editor to rename files in one go. Try for one file as per your settings and if it suits you do it for others

Thanks,

Garry