9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2012 10:35 AM by helpvid

what is the best picture slider to use with DWCS6?

Daniel Ulysses Level 1

Hola

what is the best HTML5, picture slider to use or that YOU  use with DWCS6?

I use one, but I'm looking for something

• Easy to use
      • HTML5
      • Integrates easy with DWCS6
      • Easy to use

I'll been looking for this, but if anyone of you are using one that you like/love

please, let me know,  I'll check it out.

Thanks a lot

Daniel

• 1. Re: what is the best picture slider to use with DWCS6?
          ALsp Level 4

There are not very many HTML5 "sliders". If you mean, an image gallery

that leverages the canvas tag for HD-quality animation on modern

browsers, I think we might have the only one that is actually programmed

from the ground up:

http://www.projectseven.com/products/galleries/igm2/examples/demo-01.htm

--

Al Sparber - PVII

http://www.projectseven.com

The Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets

Since 1998

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: what is the best picture slider to use with DWCS6?
            Daniel Ulysses Level 1

Thanks a lot
            I guess what I need/want is a Image Rotator
            Something that can be use as a plug-in in DW
            Your link has one.
            Looks very good.
            Hope I can see more rotators pulg-ins used by DW users.
            Thanks a lot
            Daniel

• 3. Re: what is the best picture slider to use with DWCS6?
              Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't think of any others  built as extensions for DW which I think is what you mean by "a plug-in in DW".

Of you do a search for jQuery Slider or jQuery Slideshow pretty much any of those will work. They should all validate in an HTML5 doctype (I've never seen one that didn't) and they pretty much all come with a step-by-step to implement them, basically...

1. Download a copy of the javascript files to add to your site

2. Link to the jquery.js file

3. Link to the slide.js file

4. Add your html as directed

Nivo is pretty popular: http://nivo.dev7studios.com/

• 4. Re: what is the best picture slider to use with DWCS6?
                ALsp Level 4

Nivo is not HTML5. I'm not sure anyone on this list has a clear

understanding of what that means, though

--

Al Sparber - PVII

Since 1998

• 5. Re: what is the best picture slider to use with DWCS6?
                  Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think the OP really wants an HTML5 rotator.  I think he's looking for an easy to use image rotator script that works in HTML5 doc types. 

Wow Slider

http://wowslider.com/

jQuery Cycle

http://jquery.malsup.com/cycle/

Basic jQuery Slider

http://basic-slider.com/

Nancy O.

• 6. Re: what is the best picture slider to use with DWCS6?
                    Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I actually did mean "they should all validate in an HTML5 doctype" as written (which Nivo does).

Something I've noticed lately is the misunderstanding that there is some kind of "the file must use the <such-and-such> tag in order to be a valid HTML5 document". Since  that's not the case, I generally advise people to use things that will validate fine in an HTML5 doctype. That seems to be what they're actually after for the most part. Judging by the other aspects the OP was looking for in a script, I took a guess that that was the case. I could be wrong and they may be looking for a pure HTML5 slideshow. If that's the case, I apologize for the miscommunication.

I personally wouldn't use anything that's pure HTML5 (or CSS3 for that matter) until the old browsers die off a little more. Right now, I have about 27% of my viewers coming in on old browser versions that have no HTML5 support. Since I need a fallback for over a quarter of my viewers, I just use something that doesn't make the validators complain and completely skip the multiple versioning cruft for the time being.

That's just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

• 7. Re: what is the best picture slider to use with DWCS6?
                      ALsp Level 4

A table used for layout also "validates" to HTML5 A widget such as

Nivo Slider is comprised of markup, CSS, and JavaScript. Some more

advanced sliders use HTML5 tags, such as canvas, built in the DOM, to

provide functionality and refinement not possible with traditional

DHTML, such as Nivo.

None of this, however, has anything to do with HTML5 in the way it was

presented.

The original poster wanted to know if there was anything that integrates

into Dreamweaver. I am totally bewildered that Adobe can clearly deduce

that its market for Dreamweaver is designer-biased, yet the folks on

this particular forum continuously recommend copy and paste free scripts.

Dreamweaver would not be here, and you would not be here, if not for the

core group of extension developers that worked to make it a popular

program and a (formerly) thriving and resourceful community. If Nivo is

a solution then it makes sense to recommend DMX Zone's Dreamweaver

extension that integrates that functionality into Dreamweaver - as the

original poster recommended.

The answers typically given on this forum are, essentially,

anti-Dreamweaver. It's really a shame that the Dreamweaver community has

come to this. So, go ahead, folks, copy and paste that code into your

$500 copy of Dreamweaver. I'll just keep scratching my head.

--

Al Sparber - PVII

Since 1998

• 8. Re: what is the best picture slider to use with DWCS6?
                        Daniel Ulysses Level 1

Hola to all of you
                        I decide to go with the Wow slider, and I know is NOT a DW extension, but is easy to use.
                        I'm getting better with CSS, so it helps a lot.
                        However, all the jQuery is still alien to me
                        So thank you very much for all your help.

Al, I didn't know that you are a programmer until I decide to post this.
                        I'll check your site and I'll find something that I may need/want.
                        Thank you for your hard work and please, keep making those beautiful programs that lots of people

like me, need.
                        Again, thanks a lot for all your help.

About your post, not all are the same, but I got your point.

• 9. Re: what is the best picture slider to use with DWCS6?
                          helpvid Level 2

Hi Daniel,

For one of my websites I use the photo slide provided by Photobucket, and have never had any issues with code or placement, maybe worth looking into.