1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 12, 2006 3:03 PM by Newsgroup_User

Grouping XML in Flash

K_C
      I have an XML document of various job openings. I am pulling the xml doc into flash and would like to be able to parse through the xml document and group all jobs with a similar job function (for instance) together. Then, be able to go back through and sort that list by function and total number of jobs available.

I know there are various roundabout ways, but there are 40 different job functions and loping through the xml looking for each function individually probably doesn't make sense, so I am coing to the experts for help.

Any tutorials, bits of wisdom or example will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

K_C
        • 1. Re: Grouping XML in Flash
          Level 7
          Sure, you need to use XFactorStudio's XPath for Flash (or similar) to add
          some functionality to Flash's meager implementation.

I beleive you just use selectNodes() and put in your parameters to find what
          you want. I've done this before in Flash with XML, so I know it's possible.

http://www.xfactorstudio.com/

Here's some info on XPath http://www.w3schools.com/xpath/default.asp

"K_C" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e93fdu$jg0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have an XML document of various job openings. I am pulling the xml doc
          >into
          > flash and would like to be able to parse through the xml document and
          > group all
          > jobs with a similar job function (for instance) together. Then, be able
          > to go
          > back through and sort that list by function and total number of jobs
          > available.
          >
          > I know there are various roundabout ways, but there are 40 different job
          > functions and loping through the xml looking for each function
          > individually
          > probably doesn't make sense, so I am coing to the experts for help.
          >
          > Any tutorials, bits of wisdom or example will be greatly appreciated.
          > Thanks!
          >
          > K_C
          >