8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2012 11:22 PM by MichelBParis

Linking Raw and JPGs

Magne69

Is there a way to link 2 identical version of  a photo in PSE ? I more and more often also need the JPG as there are lots of soft/hardware that does not support raw-files.

I want these programs/hardware to see the JPG only, while I also have access to my raw-files with the same metadata on.

Magne

• 1. Re: Linking Raw and JPGs
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can stack them together

in Organizer

Edit >> Stack >> Stack Selected Photos

After doing this you can set Orgganizer to autimatically suggest stacks.

• 2. Re: Linking Raw and JPGs
            Magne69 Level 1

Hi, thanks. Stacking is very nice, but I can see that even PSE itself and also i Tunes homesharing treats them as 2 individual photos in some occations (which makes every picture appear twice and 1 of them is not readable by eg Apple TV, which does not support raw-files). Any way to set priority eg pr album which version to display/share ? Some albums needs the JPG only, others the raw-file.

Magne

• 3. Re: Linking Raw and JPGs
              MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you mean linking raw and jpeg version produced by the camera with the option to shoot raw + jpeg or jpegs produced by converting and editing raw files in the editor ?

In the first case, stacking is the right option, possibly with the help of 'automatically suggest photo stack' by visual similarity search.

You can choose which one is on top of the stack.

In the other situation, you should use version sets.

Your albums will show the picture on top of the stack or version set.

If you want to have raw and jpeg linked, you'll have to choose which one should be shown ('on top'). I don't see how you could have a different choice for external sofware ?

• 4. Re: Linking Raw and JPGs
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why not use the power of Organizer search e.g. type:

*.jpg to find all jpeg files

*.NEF to find all Nikon raw files

*.CR2 to find all Canon raw files etc etc

• 5. Re: Linking Raw and JPGs

99jon wrote:

Why not use the power of Organizer search e.g. type:

*.jpg to find all jpeg files

*.NEF to find all Nikon raw files

*.CR2 to find all Canon raw files etc etc

The problem with that (otherwise smart) solution is when you have photos linked by stacks or version sets.

The result of the search shows not only 'best matches' but the other file format. You can't select only raws or jpegs unless you select them one by one...

• 6. Re: Linking Raw and JPGs
                    Magne69 Level 1

Correct, and it only helps within PSE, not on Apple TV or other JPG-based solutions.

• 7. Re: Linking Raw and JPGs
                      Magne69 Level 1

Wether they are stacked or version sets they are in all displays linked together, which in a PSE-world is perfect. But for external use, like having an album for dumping to a website, Dropbox or showing on Apple TV I really miss to be able to filter my album to be eg the JPGs only. Stacking is really nice, but being able to separete the files for external use is my request.

I by the way miss that an export within PSE dos not set the exported picture to be a version set-picture. To me it seems like I have to do the jpg-conversion in the editor to set this flag ?

• 8. Re: Linking Raw and JPGs

Magne69 wrote:

But for external use, like having an album for dumping to a website, Dropbox or showing on Apple TV I really miss to be able to filter my album to be eg the JPGs only.

I have no problem with external softwares like those. Contrary to the bug preventing easy selection of 'matching' items in a selection, working with external softwares means 'exporting', that is duplicating in the correct format and order. That's the same in any database system like Lightroom. I use 'ad hoc' albums which only show the chosen 'top' image in a stack/version set, order the pictures, rename them if necessary, export them in the wanted format (jpeg...), pixel size and compression to a new folder for my purpose.

If you are using version sets from raws, the jpegs are 'on top' and if in stacks in wrong top/bottom order, the export process will convert them to jpeg.

My own complaint, apart from the above bug for 'matching' results is the lack of other automatic sorts like alphabetic or caption within albums.