3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2013 7:01 PM by RjL190365

I finally upgraded my main rig to 32GB of RAM!

RjL190365 Level 4

Here's the story:

For the longest time, I ran my i7-2600K main rig with five total disks and a GTX 560 Ti 448-core with the same 16GB of RAM that I built that rig with. Then, I temporarily added 8GB of RAM, which made it 24GB. But while the extra 8GB brought a nice performance improvement, I felt that I was mixing completely different memory chips in the same system, which could have potentially caused stability issues. So, I temporarily scaled back to the original 16GB until I found a 16GB dual-channel kit (the same brand and model number, Corsair XMS3 CL11, as my original kit) on sale for $70.

I came home with the new kit, and added it to my existing 16GB kit in my main rig. (I did not bother installing 32GB in my auxiliary i5-2400 rig because I felt that its GeForce GTX 560 non-Ti was holding it back (note that its PPBM5 performance score with 16GB of RAM was virtually equal to the performance result from that same system with only 8GB of RAM), and I felt that any memory upgrade in that rig would have also required a GPU upgrade to notice any improvement in performance.) The result on the main rig? It shaved off another 10 seconds or so from its performance with 24GB of RAM. (As a baseline, with the i7-2600K overclocked to 4.4GHz and the RAM running at DDR3-1600 speed with 10-11-11-30 timings and running CS6, that system with 16GB scored around 210 seconds overall in the PPBM5 benchmarks. With 24GB, it delivered an overall result of around 190 seconds in PPBM5, while with 32GB it scored 180 seconds overall.) Thus, on an overclocked i7 economical rig like mine, doubling the RAM from 16GB to 32GB improved the results in PPBM5 by about 30 seconds - a nice improvement, considering how cheap 16GB dual-channel DDR3 memory kits sell for these days.

My next upgrade could be the GPU in this rig. But I don't need a new GPU right away.

Thanks to Harm and others for suggesting such a relatively inexpensive upgrade.

Randall

• 1. Re: I finally upgraded my main rig to 32GB of RAM!
          RjL190365 Level 4

Sorry for the delay, but I just submitted my PPBM5 results to the site after the upgrade to 32GB.

• 2. Re: I finally upgraded my main rig to 32GB of RAM!
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Recieved it. Will be adding them asap.

PS: Done.

• 3. Re: I finally upgraded my main rig to 32GB of RAM!
              RjL190365 Level 4

Thanks, Harm. Now I (or anybody who accesses the PPBM5 results list) can directly compare my 32GB and 24GB results out of that same PC. It just shows that even the "EOL" LGA 1155 platform can still benefit from maxing out the RAM at 32GB, especially with a higher-end GPU.

By the way, I currently have the top CS6 result among the "lesser" mainstream CPU platforms (and 95th overall out of the current 1,148 systems on the list). The CS6 rankings above mine all run CPUs that are significantly more expensive than the i7-2600K that I currently use (either an i7-980X from the last generation or an i7-39xx hexacore in the current LGA 2011 generation - and an i7-3930K costs twice as much money than an i7-3770K on a CPU-only basis). By comparison, the top scoring CS6 PC currently on the list with only 16GB of RAM ranked only 211th out of 1,148 while the top CS6 systems with an i7-3770K and an i7-3820 ranked only 250th and 335th, respectively (though neither of those latter two PCs were overclocked, and both PCs had somewhat slower disk systems than my PC - and the 3820 was additionally handicapped by having only 16GB of RAM).