2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2007 12:30 PM by ntsiii

Binding problem

ad1200
      Hi!
      I´m trying to build a form with validation and i´ve been following this great example: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/quickstart/validating_data/src/ValidationUsable/index.htm l

My only problem is how to move this buttons enabled- part to ActionScript? //
      <mx:Button
      id="submitButton"
      label="Submit"
      enabled="{formIsValid}"
      />

I´m trying to keep my mxml code free.
        • 1. Re: Binding problem
          Karl_Sigiscar_1971 Level 3

You can use the BindingUtils classes in order to bind the enabled property to whatever you like.

// Define data binding
          BindingUtils.bindProperty(model, "formIsValid", submitButton, "enabled");

Why would you want to keep your MXML "code free".

Using curly braces for binding is a perfectly right way of doing things.

As our lead developer says here: if you can do it in MXML, don't do it in ActionScript.

Cheers.
          • 2. Re: Binding problem
            ntsiii Level 3
            "As our lead developer says here: if you can do it in MXML, don't do it in ActionScript" I don't get into religious arguments. ;)

You can, if you wish, set the enabled property on the button in AS like this:
            submitButton.enabled = formIsValid;

I personally like to bind in situations like this. With binding, you can add or remove buttons, without having to remember modify some function that sets the button states.

Tracy