2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2006 10:26 AM by bregent

Collecting Data using forms

svleck

Need help soon or else I am going to throw my computer out the window.

My problem is simple (or so I thought). I would like to collect data from people using a simple form. I thought all I would have to do is create the form (done this already), and have the form dump the info into a file (say a database). Then I could go into the database and look at the data at my leisure. This is proving far too difficult.

Steps I have taken so far:

1. I have created the form.
      2. I have created the associated database using ACCESS 2000.
      3. I have talked to my provider, they use ASP

This is where I get stuck. I want the info dumped into my database. This apparently is not so easy. I have scoured the internet for a layman's tutorial, but to no avail. There is talk of a script required. Where does this go, in dreamweaver or elsewhere?

I switched to dreamweaver from FrontPage recently because of the power behind the program. However, FrontPage is sooooo much easier when it comes to collecting data. Why is dreamweaver so much more difficult?

I am getting frustrated and hope someone out there can give me a hand.

• 1. Re: Collecting Data using forms
          bregent Most Valuable Participant
          It's relatively simple to do in DW. Read the DW tutorial on Building an insert record page.
          • 2. Re: Collecting Data using forms
            bregent Most Valuable Participant
            >I switched to dreamweaver from FrontPage recently because of the power behind the program. However, FrontPage is >sooooo much easier when it comes to collecting data. Why is dreamweaver so much more difficult?

Because FP relies on a propriatary server technology that is installed on the Windows Server.
            DW works with all kinds of operating systems, web servers and technologies. For some tasks, like the one you are inquiring about, it has server behaviors that essential write the server side scripts for you. Again, read the tutorial I mentioned.