1 2 Previous Next 63 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2008 10:22 AM by Peter Grainge

RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox

Alan_Davidson
      I just upgraded from RoboHelp 6 to 7. The first thing I did after the upgrade was to generate my Webhelp project. I wanted to check that the output was acceptable. In Mozilla and IE, the output is fine. When the help opens, the book containing my default topic is open in the TOC and all the other books open and close when I click them.

But in the Firefox, all the TOC books are closed when the help first opens. None of the books will open until I click the book containing my default topic. After I open that book, the others open as they should.

I don't have this problem with the help I generated this morning before I upgraded.

Any ideas as to what's causing this?
        • 1. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional
          Not a problem that I have seen anyone report. Open one of the sample projects or create a new one with a few topics. See if you get the same issue there.

• 2. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
            kath33
            This is a problem that I have also encountered. I actually posted a message about this but I wasn't as clear as you in my explanation! Anyway, we have found how to solve this problem:
            You need to modify the following file: whthost.js, line 272, enter « gsTP=null; » just after « sHTML+=" ». Therefore: sHTML+="markBook("+nIdx+") needs to be changed to: sHTML+="gsTP=null;markBook("+nIdx+").
            It should work.
            However, we have noticed another problem in Firefox and IE: there is no synchronization of the TOC with the navigation. I mean that if you change page or book, the highlight in the TOC (indicating where you are exactly in the TOC) won't move according to the pages visited. Have you noticed this problem? We could not find a solution.
            • 3. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
              Alan_Davidson Level 1
              Thank you very much (Katherine/Kathy?), I'll give that a try.

I didn't notice the other problem yet, because I've just gotten started with this version. Have you posted that problem? If so, what was the date of the post? Did you try turning off the breadcrumbs? (I'm assuming it's possible to do that.)

-Al Davidson
              • 4. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                Alan_Davidson Level 1
                I tried modifying the whthost.js file, and that does fix the problem, mostly. But, I wouldn't call this "The Answer" for two reasons:

1. The TOC doesn't show the location of the default topic when the help loads in the browser. This is not terrible, but it would be nice to fix this problem also and might be related to the other problem that kath33 noticed.

2. whthost.js is an output file rather than a source file, which means you would have to edit it every time you generate.

I'm hoping somebody might have a solution that can be applied to the source.

-Al Davidson
                • 5. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                  Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  Hi Al

You may modify the source in the following location. (Assuming a default install)

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 7\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_stock

After that, the tweak should be present in any build.

Cheers... Rick
                  • 6. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                    HKabaker Level 2
                    It used to be a "rule" that the default topic should be first in the TOC, and not inside a book.

But if you want it in a a book, and can make it work, OK.

Harvey
                    • 7. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                      Alan_Davidson Level 1
                      Thanks for the info Harvey. I guess by "rule" you mean a bug that they never bothered to fix. I didn't know about that one. I've been using RoboHelp on this same help project since version 4 and it has worked until I upgraded to version 7.

-Al Davidson
                      • 8. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                        I think Harvey meant it was a convention, probably from the days before autosync was available with any help authoring tool. Perhaps he is suggesting that you adopt the old convention to resolve the problem you are having.

• 9. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                          TechDoc Jeanne Level 1
                          I saw this too, but if you keep "playing" with it, eventually books start to open. this is very weird.
                          • 10. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                            Alan_Davidson Level 1
                            Thanks kath33 and Captiva8r!

To recap, the solution is to edit this file (assuming a default install):

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 7\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_stock

This is the edit to make:

Type « gsTP=null; » just after « sHTML+=" ».
                            In other words:

sHTML+="markBook("+nIdx+")

should be changed to:

sHTML+="gsTP=null;markBook("+nIdx+")

-Al Davidson
                            • 11. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                              BillK1948
                              It has been a couple of months since the 'TOC books don't open in Firefox' issue, so I was hoping that someone might be able to help with my problem...
                              The TOC books don't open in Firefox (IE is okay) via autosync unless I have previously opened them manually.
                              I have made all the changes to files suggested on the forums and Peter Grainge's (excellent) site. I am using RoboHelp 7 and Firefox 2.0.0.11. My default topic is not within a book and is at the top of the TOC. None of my books are linked to topics.

Any ideas?
                              • 12. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                To the best of my knowledge, the changes posted do work. Have you tried ticking the republish all option or generating to a new location?

• 13. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                  BillK1948 Level 1
                                  Yes, I have tried different locations, and several WebHelp projects - even the simplest project with just two books and five topics behaves the same way. The symtoms are completely consistant.
                                  Anyway, if you haven't heard of this problem, it is obviously something wrong with my setup. So I will re-installing RoboHelp and try again.
                                  Thanks Peter.
                                  • 14. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                    I didn't say I hadn't heard of the problem, I just haven't heard from anyone saying the fix didn't work.

I doubt reinstalling will fix this.

Send me the small project you created.

• 15. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                      BillK1948 Level 1
                                      OK Peter, I have sent you an email
                                      • 17. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                        BillK1948 Level 1
                                        Peter - I sent it to the email address given on your website. It has a 470 KB attachment as a zip file.
                                        • 18. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                          1] Send me another email without any attachment.

2] Check the original is not blocked by your firewall. Many of them will block RH projects.

• 19. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                            BillK1948 Level 1
                                            OK, email without attachment sent at 19:35.
                                            Thanks
                                            • 20. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                              Ejung
                                              I am also having the same problem even after making the changes to the code. Did you figure out if it was your settings?
                                              • 21. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                BillK1948 Level 1
                                                Thanks for responding. There are three of us who have this problem, which helps to confirm that it is an application bug rather than faulty operation/installation.

None of us has come up with a solution as yet, but we will post information on the forum if someone finds out how to sort it. I have registered it as a bug with Adobe a few days ago, but no response from them. Maybe if a few more people report it they will take notice.
                                                • 22. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                  For the benefit of anyone other than Bill (he already knows), I tested Bill's project and got the same result. I also created a similar project and got the same result. Then I checked my main merged project and it works fine. However, I am not sure the output I am looking at there is RH7 generated so one of my guys is regenerating that from RH7 to be sure.

This problem is not new to RH7, it has been known of for a couple of years. What seems to be different is that the fix on my site is not working. So either there is a problem with the fix under RH7 or there is something different about the merged project I tested. I am inclined to the latter as the merged project never had the problem in the first place under RH6.

So what are the differences? Two spring to mind. One is the very fact that it is a merged project. Two that the default topic is in fact a redirect and maybe the action of redirecting to a topic in another project in the merge overcomes the problem.

This is something that one of my guys is testing at the moment as I need to be certain that I am not going to hit this problem with my live projects.

Meantime, if any of you want to try a redirect first and then a merged webhelp setup, let us all know how you get on.

• 23. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                    Bad news guys. The main project no longer works properly under RH7, based on an initial test. Unfortunately my instructions were not followed precisely so the test is having to be redone but I doubt it will make a difference.

Once the retest is completed, assuming no change, I will advise Adobe of the problem.

• 24. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                      HKabaker Level 2
                                                      Folks,

If you wait until Firefox has loaded the TOC and seems to be ready, but the wheel is still spinning, and you click Esc to stop the spinning,

how do the TOC books and sync behave?

Harvey

• 25. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                        HKabaker Level 2
                                                        Also, please verify whether the browser forward and back arrows work after you click Esc, as well as resizing the TOC pane.

Then there's the browser Reload icon. If it reloads normally after Esc, please note whether the wheel is spinning again.

I'm browsing with tabs, by the way, and opening new tabs instead of windows.

Harvey

• 26. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                          Ejung Level 1
                                                          After I press Esc, the books in the TOC do not autosync. The Back/Forward buttons do work - but how do you work around this problem? We can't possibly tell our users to press Esc ;)
                                                          Alan_Davidson also used RH7 and the workaround worked for him. What is different about his project?
                                                          • 27. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                            Alan_Davidson Level 1
                                                            Yes, the fixed did work for me. But, I'm not sure how my project is different. I'd be happy to answer specific questions about my project, if you have any.

-Al Davidson
                                                            • 28. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                              Alan

Would you mind zipping and emailing a copy of whthost.js from the output so that I can compare it with the one I have to see if I can find a difference there.

You can contact me via my site.

• 29. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                                Alan_Davidson Level 1
                                                                Peter,

I don't see any contact information on your web site (www.grainge.org).

-Alan Davidson
                                                                • 30. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                                  It's the last item on the menu.

BTW. What version of Firefox are you using please? Wondering if that is the issue.

• 31. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                                    HKabaker Level 2
                                                                    Peter and others,

I've verified that the TOC books don't open by themselves in Firefox 2.0.0.11. RH 7, Win XP.

Conditions:
                                                                    --Addressing a URL on the company Intranet (not my hard drive, and not File|Open on a Network drive);
                                                                    --Not a merged project;
                                                                    --No topics are redirects;
                                                                    --Generated with auto sync TOC;
                                                                    --whthost.js modified as recommended [sHTML+="gsTP=null;markBook("+nIdx+")];
                                                                    --Default topic is at the top of the TOC, not in a book; and
                                                                    --Books do not link to topics.

Secnario A:
                                                                    1. WebHelp loads with TOC books closed.
                                                                    2. Press Esc.
                                                                    3. Manually open a TOC.
                                                                    4. Link to a topic in that book.
                                                                    5. The highlight moves correctly.
                                                                    6. Link to a topic in a closed book.
                                                                    7. Topic loads, highlight moves to book, book stays closed.

Scenario B:
                                                                    1. WebHelp loads with TOC books closed.
                                                                    2. Press Esc.
                                                                    3. Navigate to another topic at the top level (not in a book). Highlight moves to the correct line.
                                                                    4. Click a link to another topic.
                                                                    5.Topic opens, TOC highlight moves to the closed book. Book stays closed.
                                                                    6. Don't open the book, but go to a topic at the top level.
                                                                    7. Click a link to the same topic.
                                                                    8. Topic loads, but highlight does not move.
                                                                    9. Cannot open other books.
                                                                    10. Open the book with the topic.
                                                                    11. Now I can open the other books.
                                                                    12. Sync TOC works, and will open closed books only if they have been opened once manually.

In a nutshell, to make Sync TOC work in Firefox 2, you:

--must stop the wheel spinning on first load and on every reload from the browser icon. (If you don't do this, the reload breaks.)
                                                                    --must open all books manually.

Adobe has improved the code in RH 7 for loading/reloading topics and TOC, but there's lots more work needed in that labyrinth.

Or you can say that WebHelp "works best" in IE.

Harvey

• 32. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                                      Harvey

Thanks for confirming that. The issue now though is that the old fix is still working for Alan and the solution you post is plain unacceptable. Don't misunderstand me, I realise you are just stating the only solution, not that you like it but it doesn't make it any the more palatable.

Alan has kindly agreed to look at a couple of outputs that I have sent him that do not work in the latest version of FF. I suspect that one will work for Alan as he is using 1.5 and I think that is why the old fix still works for him.

Once I hear from Alan, one of us will post back and I will then update Adobe based on what we have found.

• 33. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                                        HKabaker Level 2
                                                                        Mozilla made a number of essential changes for Firefox 2. I wouldn't be surprised if some other iissues came along.
                                                                        Regards,
                                                                        H
                                                                        • 34. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                                          The original problem here was not to do with TOC synchronisation. It was about the fact that until the book with the default topic had been opened, none of the other books could be opened, even by clicking on them.

Kath posted a fix for that but advised she had another problem. That was that the TOC did not synchronise and no fix has been posted for that.

Then Bill came along saying the fix did not work for him. I now need to revisit the exchanges I had with Bill as I think he was expecting the fix to make autosync work and I was thinking along those lines too at that point.

The next thing to take my eye off the ball was when Alan said the fix worked for him. I was thinking about autosync but Alan of course was simply referring to the fact that books can be opened. He has confirmed that he does not get autosync.

So, subject to what I find when I revisit Bill's emails, it looks the fix is only about being able to click the books and have them open. The problem that we need to resolve is 'just' that autosync does not work.

Unless anyone posts to the contrary, I will now raise that with Adobe.

Bill: Please don't think I am saying your emails were not clear. It's just that I was reading them with the wrong preconception.

• 35. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                                            Both the opening of books and the synchronising with the TOC seem to be working after applying the patch released 13th Feb.

Click Help | Updates and try it.

For those of you who amended the js files, you may need to reverse that. Don't know but try it if the patch does not work for you. I can now open the books OK and the TOC synchronises.

• 36. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                                              BillK1948 Level 1
                                                                              I have updated RoboHelp so that I am now using RoboHelp 7.01.001. My Firefox is version 2.0.0.12. I can see no change in the problem after generating a new project in RoboHelp HTML and testing with Firefox.

The problem I am talking about is that there is no toc autosync unless the toc books are opened manually first. I have included a more detailed breakdown below. Am I alone in continuing to experience these problems after the update?

There has been some confusion over the symptoms of the toc autosync problem, so I have detailed the problem below:
                                                                              - My test project consists of three books each containing three topics.
                                                                              - I have a default topic at the top of the toc outside the books.
                                                                              - My browse sequence goes from top to bottom of the toc through three books and 10 topics.
                                                                              - My index contains links to all of the topics.

The symptoms are as follows:
                                                                              1) When manually clicking on books and topics in the toc everything seems normal
                                                                              2) When the project is opened in Firefox and the books have not been manually clicked, the browse buttons will step through the topics but the toc books do not automatically open, i.e. there is no sync between the displayed topic and the toc.
                                                                              3) When the project is opened in Firefox and the books have not been manually clicked, selecting a topic in the index and then switching back to toc view does cause the corresponding book to open to hightlight the selected topic. Again there is no toc sync.
                                                                              4) When the project is opened in Firefox and one or more books are manually clicked, then testing the toc sync with the browse buttons shows the sync will now work within those books that have been opened. This is true even if the books that have been manually opened have also been closed again. However, any books that have not been clicked will still not sync when tested with the browse buttons.
                                                                              5) The next time the project is opened in Firefox you are back to square one, i.e. no sync unless the books are opened manually first.
                                                                              6) Incidently, I do not experience any loading problems in Firefox - pages load quickly and the 'wheel spinning' loading indicator stops after the first, and subsequent, loading with no need to press the Esc key.
                                                                              7) I have a small, possibly related, problem with Internet Explorer. When using the browse buttons to select the first topic within a book, it is the book that is highlighted instead of the first topic.
                                                                              • 37. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                                                Bill

I created a project after the update that seems to work OK except I did not build in a browse sequence. Can I zip and send it to email address I have for you?

• 38. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                                                  Bill

I added a browse sequence and that too is now working perfectly. I wonder if you still have that manual tweak in the system and whether that is interfering?

• 39. Re: RH7 TOC books don't open in Firefox
                                                                                    Ejung Level 1
                                                                                    I also updated RoboHelp, undid the manual tweak to whnjs.htm and still have the TOC autosync problem. The only other tweak that I've made is to whthost.js but that is on the output folder (so it shouldn't matter).
                                                                                    1 2 Previous Next