5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2007 10:41 AM by Newsgroup_User

What's your preferred workflow?

jsteinmann Level 1
      What's your preferred workflow in creating a web masterpiece?

If you mockup in fireworks, what method of export do you use and why? Export as CSS? Export as HTML?

Do you like to create in fireworks, and work toward your web app, or do you like to start in dreamweaver, and use fireworks as an asset creator?

Pros/Cons?

How can you make your workflow more efficient?
        • 1. Re: What's your preferred workflow?
          Level 7
          On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:09:21 +0000 (UTC), "jsteinmann"
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>What's your preferred workflow in creating a web masterpiece?
          >
          > If you mockup in fireworks, what method of export do you use and why? Export
          >as CSS? Export as HTML?
          >
          > Do you like to create in fireworks, and work toward your web app, or do you
          >like to start in dreamweaver, and use fireworks as an asset creator?
          >
          > Pros/Cons?
          >
          > How can you make your workflow more efficient?

Honestly? I start with pencil and paper. I sketch out the basic
          outline of the layout first.

Then I'll work in Fireworks to do a mockup. I do NOT use the built in
          menus. Ever. I do NOT export the whole mockup. Ever.

I selectively slice and export the bare minimum of images needed, and
          build in Dreamweaver.

Win
          --
          Win Day, Wild Rose Websites
          http://www.wildrosewebsites.com
          winday@NOSPAMwildrosewebsites.com
          Skype winifredday
          • 2. Re: What's your preferred workflow?
            Level 7
            jsteinmann wrote:
            > What's your preferred workflow in creating a web masterpiece?
            >
            > as CSS? Export as HTML?
            >
            > Do you like to create in fireworks, and work toward your web app, or do you
            > like to start in dreamweaver, and use fireworks as an asset creator?
            >
            > Pros/Cons?

I also sometimes start on paper but mostly I start in Fireworks and
            create a visual mockup there. Once that's approved, I slice the minimal
            number of graphics I'll need keeping in mind what should be an "inline"
            image and what should be a repeating background. I almost always need to
            create a new page or, before Fireworks CS3, a new file with just
            background elements so I can export them without the foreground stuff
            (logos, menu text, etc).

I never use code exported from Fireworks, NEVER, especially not the
            menus. I create the actual (X)HTML and CSS in Dreamweaver (mostly in
            Code View at first) and use PVII products to create menus and sometimes
            other interactive features (Accordion Panel, Scrollers, etc).

I see no cons with this method unless you count the fact that it is more
            time consuming at first than exporting a sliced mockup directly out of
            Fireworks. But in the long run it saves a lot of time as I do not have
            to deal with the fragile and bloated code Fireworks creates.
            Furthermore, the code I create is highly human readable, ID and Class
            names make sense (semantically) and the code is as lean as possible and
            formatted the way I like it.

Once I have a working page skeleton (I mean it may have no real
            content), I start externalizing parts of the page to server-side
            includes so that, when I edit the main navigation's links or a header or
            footer code for example, changing one include file propagates the change
            to all files in the site immediately. I use ColdFusion for my
            server-side scripting/programming and I found it's been a great enabler
            for me, much easier and more powerful than ASP which I used in the past
            or PHP which syntax I really dislike. ColdFusion just makes sense to me
            in a way no other programming/scripting language ever did.

Regarding starting the design directly in Dreamweaver, the really big
            con I see with that is that it "limits" the design direction to the
            constraints and idiosyncrasies of HTML/CSS. I find there is often a
            sameness to sites created that way. I'd rather bend HTML/CSS to my will
            (especially CSS) to produce the visual layout I want than to start in DW
            and end up with a boxy design (If that is not what I want... it can be
            exactly what is appropriate).

Working the visuals in Fireworks first frees you to think visually in
            implementing a solution for your client's needs and creating the best UI
            possible for the site's users. For that I prefer the flexibility of a
            pure graphical application like Fireworks. Once you have a solid design
            in place then comes the time to implement it in code.

--
            Stéphane Bergeron
            reach:connect:communicate
            www.webfocusdesign.com
            blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
            www.pixelyzed.com
            • 3. Re: What's your preferred workflow?
              jsteinmann Level 1
              Have you read the developer articles from Adobe that talks about exporting CSS from Fireworks?

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/smart_css.html

• 4. Re: What's your preferred workflow?
                Level 7
                jsteinmann wrote:
                > Have you read the developer articles from Adobe that talks about exporting CSS from Fireworks?
                >
                > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/smart_css.html

Yes, I believe I did but that was a while ago. Adobe's site will not
                load for me at this time so I can't take another quick look. But the
                same basic issues remains for me. Unless Fireworks gave us the ability
                to control the export settings with far more granularity (like set what
                part will become a div with this or that ID, this image will be used as
                a background image, etc) then the exported code will need too much
                rework to be worth it. It's just not good enough for me. But the thing
                is, I really don't think a graphical application is the right place to
                be dealing with coding issues. I really believe in using the right tool
                for the job and for me, a graphics design application is not it when it
                comes to creating HTML and CSS code, whether it's Fireworks, Photoshop
                or whatever.

It could become a viable way to do it with a lot of development work but
                I would really prefer that the Fireworks dev team focuses on improving
                the core creative tool set in Fireworks, not any code exporting
                mechanism that may never yield the flexibility and control I really
                need. It's just much faster to do that work entirely in Dreamweaver for
                me than to edit whatever code Fireworks exports.

--
                Stéphane Bergeron
                reach:connect:communicate
                www.webfocusdesign.com
                blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                www.pixelyzed.com
                • 5. Re: What's your preferred workflow?
                  Level 7
                  jsteinmann wrote:
                  > What's your preferred workflow in creating a web masterpiece?
                  >
                  > as CSS? Export as HTML?

I work as a freelance graphic artist specializing in Website design. I
                  export sliced mockups from Fireworks as image files only. I rarely do
                  markup myself. On those few occasions when I do, I proceed in the same
                  way I do for my design contractors, by exporting image slices. I then
                  use the image slices in building the finished HTML pages in Dreamweaver.

--
                  Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  http://www.projectseven.com
                  Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                  CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                  http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                  --------------------------------------------------------------