3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2012 6:17 PM by jerid123

I need advice on updating my Mac System.

jerid123

I am using Adobe After Effects with my Mac Pro. I am finding out that it is seriously underperforming. What takes someone seconds to preview, it takes me minutes, for example, a 6 second comp would take me 6-8 minutes just to run a preview. The problem is I don't have enough RAM or a great video card.

These are my specs:

Model Name:          Mac Pro

Model Identifier:          MacPro4,1

Processor Name:          Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed:          2.26 GHz

Number Of Processors:          2

Total Number Of Cores:          8

L2 Cache (per core):          256 KB

L3 Cache (per processor):          8 MB

Memory:          6 GB

My Graphics Card:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120:

Chipset Model:          NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Type:          GPU

Bus:          PCIe

Slot:          Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width:          x16

VRAM (Total):          512 MB

Vendor:          NVIDIA (0x10de)

I know you want 2GB of RAM per core, so I would need at least 16GB, but I was looking at purchasing two 16GB DIMMS, (PC3-8500, 1066Mhz). I have 2 slots open, so it would end up being 38GB. The other thing I was considering was purchasing a new video card. I was looking at the NVIDIA Quadro 4000 For Mac. At this point, I am only able to purchase one or the other since the Graphic Card is almost $900 by itself. My gut says to go for the RAM, but does anyone else have experience or ideas which would give me a better live preview? Now it's too choppy and runs extremely slow. If I'm running 23.976 fps, the preview is typically 1/3 fps with the graphics I'm doing. Nothing too intense in the effects realm. Of if someone has a better combination of what would work on my system than what I picked out, I would love to explore it. Thanks in advance!