9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2012 7:14 AM by Tanya Love

How to transfer ps - brushes/fonts/patterns etc

Tanya Love

Hi

My mac screen got damaged so got new mbp

Have installed Photoshop 5 etc from discs

However, all my photoshop everythings, the patterns I use, the brushes I have made, actions i've downloaded, shapes, fonts, & knoll factory filter they are all still on my broken laptop

How do I transfer them????? Please.

I do have an external hd, time machine, but was gonna leave that with old mbp tho could use it tho not plugged it in to new 1, not sure on that.

Ideally would prefer to burn my things to cd from 1 & transfer. Is that possible?

I did try this with "Presets" section, I got nothing extra, but don't think I damaged anything. Have trawlled google.

Really need help, thank you.

• 1. Re: How to transfer ps - brushes/fonts/patterns etc
          gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

While the screen is broken on your old laptop,it does have a port for an external monitor. If nothing else is busted, use that to get at your Photoshop actions,filters,and so on. You can borrow a monitor,although you may need a proper adaptor. VGA/DVI/or HDMI.

I would copy all presets,patterns,etc that did not come with Photoshop into my Documents folder.

Create a folder "Photoshop Extras" and subfolders for Brushes, Patterns, and other items in your Documents folder. I think it would make for a great way to organize.

• 2. Re: How to transfer ps - brushes/fonts/patterns etc
            Tanya Love Level 1

This sounds like a plan - as i'm trying to keep new mac in order - last 1 = disorganised.

So create folder on mac?

Then how do i get my things? I only know how to access them in photoshop, i don't know where they are, i looked i photoshop folder, which didn't help me. Thanks

- as for my screen it has a broken flashing line 1-2 inches straight down the middle which i can't see thru so have to move things either side, its not the glass, its just flashes & get lines.

• 3. Re: How to transfer ps - brushes/fonts/patterns etc

Go to your Applications folder, look inside your Photoshop folder and you should see your Presets and other folders.

If you can get that external monitor, you can plug that in for a look at your desktop. You won't have to deal with the laptop screen but if you can move stuff with that big band down the middle,it might work.

And yes, In your documents folder create a Photoshop extras folder and organize your third party plug-ins and so on by subfolder category.

• 4. Re: How to transfer ps - brushes/fonts/patterns etc
                Tanya Love Level 1

Okay, my failed attempt was this....

finder/apps/ps/presets - this had burn opt at top so I made cd put in new mac, replace = yes.

However, i think all that did was replace what comes with photoshop, not what I have made/downloade

I spent months tyring to make star brushes as twinkly as poss, they are not in my new photoshop - even after I did this.

I look in those floders in presets - I can't see random names, I don't know where mine are

Thanks will get moniter at some point, its on list, but for now have new laptop, just need my work... x

• 5. Re: How to transfer ps - brushes/fonts/patterns etc
                  Tanya Love Level 1

Photoshop knows where they are as it accesses them all lols

• 6. Re: How to transfer ps - brushes/fonts/patterns etc
                    Tanya Love Level 1

So I just went in to my old ps.

Renamed 1 of my brushes findme.

Closed ps. Typed findme into search... nothing.

So they gotta be in ps somewhere mare

• 7. Re: How to transfer ps - brushes/fonts/patterns etc
                      Tanya Love Level 1

So decided to risk plugging in my time machine.

Tranfered various things over, inc ps presets, but nothiing still

It did transfer knoll filter but not the passcode

• 8. Re: How to transfer ps - brushes/fonts/patterns etc

Well, I may have a MacBook on the way, but my machines are Windows 7 based. So I am not familiar with how exactly to transfer stuff using their file system  If you do know the names of your custom filters, you can also re-download them as well. And as long as you

can clip a monitor to it, then your files are still there and you have the hope of eventually getting it all moved and/or backed up and recovering all your custom filters. Just take your time.

That's as good as I can do for now. I hope the Mac experts here can give better advice

Good Luck

Gene

• 9. Re: How to transfer ps - brushes/fonts/patterns etc
                          Tanya Love Level 1

I redownloaded knoll, but its $199.

As for everything else its not downloadable, I made most of it, & have no idea where the rest came from, or names.

Getting a new computer should be happy, this is just disaster... as for my new years work plans, already broken.

I tried to speak to someone online at adobe, they only answer questions on 6 mine is 5/5.5.

You can understand why people resent them.