4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2012 9:50 AM by John T Smith

Best Mac for AE CS6?

mikebmb43

My macbook air cant handle it at all, its WAY too slow.

I am thinking of getting the new iMac 27".

It has the option to get ...

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5....

Does this seem like it would do the job?

I want something that will last me a long time and will handle large projects

• 1. Re: Best Mac for AE CS6?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

One man's "large project" is another man's everyday job. Without knowing more details, nobody will be able to give more specific advise. It's the same as with hall those discussions on performance, MP rendering, CUDA/ OpenGL that we have a-plenty here on teh forum every week... In any case, since your options with an iMac are limited, anyway, it's probably a moot point. Stuff it with the maximum possible configuration and then see if it works for you.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Best Mac for AE CS6?
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I love Apple products. I have many of them in my home.

I don't use any of them for video work however. You can get a lot more bang for your buck with a Windows machine these days. Seriously. Go price out those same specs with HP or somebody similar. Windows 7 is a very stable, very useable operating system. (Don't bother with 8.)

Also, if you want a computer that will last you a while, I prefer to get a workstation or desktop kind of computer vs. a laptop or an all-in-one because it's easier to service and update if needed. Try opening up an iMac and swapping out the graphics card...

For video at work, we use HP and Levono workstations. For video at home, I use an HP desktop.

• 3. Re: Best Mac for AE CS6?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this page for information about hardware for  After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

• 4. Re: Best Mac for AE CS6?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you DO decide to consider a Windows computer, and you don't want to build your own, consider a company that specializes in video editing computers

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/