3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2008 3:18 AM by Ankur Arora

HTTP AUTHENTICATION

leela.sachdev@magicsw.com
      Hi,

We want to implement HTTP AUTHENTICATION for our flash content running on the web. Basically, we have done the required implementation on the server end, but we do not want "user/pass" dialog box to appear - and would like flash to pass user/pass information to our webservice in a header. And ofcourse, we want to achieve this using Actionscript 1.0/2.0.

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
      Taran
        • 1. HTTP AUTHENTICATION
          Ankur Arora Level 1
          Hi Taran,
          The solution for authenticating a user id and a password includes some sort of help from your web service. Your web service should define few parameters and basis of those parameters it should return message to your Flash application. Like your web service could have define some method with below parameters:-
          services. SomeMethod(param1, param2, param3, userid, password);

In above method you can pass user id and password from with in Flash, you need not to get it entered by some user. For making password more secure your can use password hashing algorithm.

let me know in case you require some more help.

Thanks & Regards
          Ankur Arora
          Project Leader(Flash and Flex)
          http://flashdeveloper.blogspot.com
          let your thoughts fly to others... you will become rich.

• 2. Re: HTTP AUTHENTICATION
            leela.sachdev@magicsw.com Level 1
            Hi Ankur, Thanks for a prompt reply! I would surely explore this option. But is there a way I could pass user/pass information in a header to a server side script. I am using an xml object to sendAndLoad variables to the server. That is the reason, server guys are asking me to send the authentication information in its headers. I am not sure if flash player allows me to do that, it seems that it truncates the WWW-Authenticate header whenever I try to pass it to the server.

Thanks Again!
            Taran
            • 3. Re: HTTP AUTHENTICATION
              Ankur Arora Level 1
              Taran,
              You were discussing something about Webservice now you are talking about XML and sendAndLoad, I guess some confusion is there. Anyhow you cannot set header values from Flash however if you still need to send header information in that case you can use XML socket and send a predefined XML schema which can be read by your server side script. And they can set headers as per the requirement.

But I'm still not able to undertsand why you want to set header information because header information can be se only once then you can only change it but will not be able to delete it.

May be I can describe more if you can show me what scenario you need to follow and what kind of code running at server side.

Thanks & Regards
              Ankur Arora
              Project Leader(Flash and Flex)
              http://flashdeveloper.blogspot.com
              let your thoughts fly to others... you will become rich.