Cell phone video often uses a variable bit rate, such as from the iphone... these links are about iphone video, but they may help
-and a fix http://forums.adobe.com/thread/934466
If those links don't help, more information might help
What are you editing, and does your project match your video?
Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037
What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811
What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037
Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing
Also, to be sure your video matches your sequence, read on...
For CS5 and later, the easy way to insure that your video and your project match
See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666
-and a FAQ on sequence setting http://forums.adobe.com/message/3804341
Thank you for the information. I found an alternative solution which is to us AVS Video Converter to convert them from mp4 (and whatever codec the phone uses that doesn't seem to get along well with Premiere) to WMV.
Once I did that and loaded those up in Premiere the problem seemed to disappear.
Prior to doing that I made sure the resolutions were the same, the fps was the same, etc and it did not make any difference.
I'll be sure to check over some of those links as I'm sure they will be useful knowledge for my editing anyway. Thanks.