4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2013 4:23 PM by John T Smith

1st PC (Moving over from Mac) - This is the build I am considering - any input/feedback appreciated!

Yvette.k

Any comments/suggestions on this build? I will be mainly using it for video editing.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 5 GT/s

DMI, 650MHz GPU, 8MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W, Retail

RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black, PC3-14900 (1866),

Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-10-9-27, XMP, 1.5V

SSD: 240GB Corsair Force Series GT 2.5", SATA III - 6Gb/s SSD,

SandForce SF-2200, Read 555Mb/s, Write 525Mb/s, 85K IOPS

HDD: 2x 2TB WD WD2002FAEX Caviar Black, SATA 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache OEM

BluRay: Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer 12x BD-R, x8 DVD±DL x16

DVD±R x6 DVD±RW SATA Black OEM

PSU: 850W Corsair Enthusiast Series 850TXV2, 85% Eff', 80 PLUS Bronze,

SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.31, PSU

Case: Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two V3 Mid Tower ATX Case, USB3, With

Side Window w/o PSU

WiFi: Netgear WN311B-100PES RangeMax Wireless-N PCI Adapter

Audio: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCI-E Soundcard 5.1Ch THX/Dolby

Optical In/Out OEM

Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA

RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), DisplayPort/ DVI-D/ HDMI, ATX

GPU: 2GB EVGA GTX 670, 28nm, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 6008MHz GDDR5, GPU

915MHz, Boost 980MHz, Cores 1344, 2x DL DVI, DP, HDMI

• 1. Re: 1st PC (Moving over from Mac) - This is the build I am considering - any input/feedback appreciated!
          RjL190365 Level 4

I would make several changes to that proposed build:

1) Get an i7-3770K, not a plain i7-3770: The i7-3770 is only limited unlocked, not fully unlocked like the i7-3770K.

2) There is absolutely no need whatsoever for the Recon 3D: Its audio quality is subpar for a discrete sound card, especially one that is selling for a high price. In fact, it is pretty bad for audio production since it is optimized for gaming performance first, audio quality be darned. A total waste of money. If you absolutely MUST buy a Sound Blaster card for audio work, I'd recommend the new Sound Blaster Z series cards instead of the Recon 3D series cards. Or, if your audio needs are limited to cutting and pasting and cueing, the motherboard's onboard audio would more than suffice - no need whatsoever for a discrete sound card.

3) The Antec 902 case is cramped on the inside, especially from front to rear and for such a high price. Depending on where you install your multiple hard drives, the GTX 670 would barely fit inside the case because the PCI-e x16 slot is severely restricted in length by the hard disks. Any installed hard drives, especially in the middle hard drive cage, will limit the usable length of the graphics cards in the 902 to only 9.5 inches long. (That is because the 902 case is designed such that any installed hard drives will intrude nearly 2 inches into the expansion slot space - and without any hard disks installed, there is only 11.5 inches of room, depth-wise, in the expansion slot area.) With that 9.5-inch GTX 670, you will have practically no room to install the cables into any installed hard drives due to the lack of sufficient clearance between the card and the disks. Also, the plastic fan mount at the rear of the middle drive cage (which is installed by default) must be completely removed before graphics cards longer than 8 inches will even fit. Lastly, the front USB 3.0 port will not fit the motherboard's USB 3.0 internal header without an extra-cost adapter - a dumb design move. (The case's front USB 3.0 port cable must be routed all the way out the rear of the case, through an expansion slot backplate, then plugged into a rear USB 3.0 port - but the cable itself may be too short to reach such a port. That's another dumb design move.)

4) Do not get a Sandforce-based SSD as its real-world performance is much slower than advertised, and that its performance degrades even more rapidly with use.

5) The TX850 v2 is okay, but I'd spend the extra money on a modular 80 Plus Gold- or Platinum-rated PSU, such as the new Corsair AX760, for that build.

6) You might want to consider 2 x 8GB sticks of RAM instead of your currently selected 4 x 4GB sticks. That way, you will not have to replace some or all of your RAM should you add more RAM later. With your current choice, the 16GB that you chose will fill up all four DIMM slots on your selected motherboard, leaving you with no room whatsoever to add more RAM without discarding some of your existing RAM.

7) Finally, you failed to mention which operating system you're planning to use. If you're planning to use Windows 7 Home Premium, you'll be limited to 16GB maximum - total (that version of Windows 7 will run with more than 16GB installed, but it can only address the first 16GB). You will need Windows 7 Professional or Windows 8 to use more than 16GB of RAM (plain Windows 8 supports up to 128GB of RAM while Windows 8 Professional supports up to 512GB of RAM).

• 2. Re: 1st PC (Moving over from Mac) - This is the build I am considering - any input/feedback appreciated!
            Yvette.k Level 1

Thank you for your response!

I will change the choice of case, that you for pointing all that out!

As for the SSD - have you any recommendations for an alternative?

Also I will get 2x8 RAM instead, I had not considered the possibility of wanting to add more later.

I haven't made an OS choice yet, I will probably go for windows 7, thank you for highlighting the home premium's limitations.

Have you any advice on the choice of graphics card? I am pretty sure that CS6 is compatible with the GTX 670.

• 3. Re: 1st PC (Moving over from Mac) - This is the build I am considering - any input/feedback appreciated!
              RjL190365 Level 4

An alternative for an SSD is the relatively new Samsung 840 Pro (don't get the non-Pro version of the Samsung 840 since it is slower than a previous-generation SSD).