18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2008 1:53 PM by Retreataa

Unable to open PNG file

LHarvey79
      Hi,

I have a problem where I am unable to open a PNG file that I have been working on without incident for the past two days. I have confirmed that another Fireworks user is able to open it successfully. I am able to open other PNG files, just not this one. (The PNG file contains extensive pop-ups menus and is about 480KB.)

The error I get is: "Could not open the file. An internal error occurred."

The file is being stored on a network drive. I have deleted "Fireworks CS3 Preferences.txt". The contents of the file has been copied to a brand new file, and I am still unable to open that. I have tried uninstalling/renaming QuickTime files. I have not installed or changed any fonts.

Please help! Any suggestions would be great.

thanks,
      Lauren
        • 1. Re: Unable to open PNG file
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
          Is it in use by someone else on the network drive?

Try copying it from the network drive to your machine, and open and see what happens?

h
          • 2. Re: Unable to open PNG file
            LHarvey79 Level 1
            thanks, heathrowe.
            The only other person with access sits next to me -- she's not using the file. I also tried making a local copy, and I still get the same error.

Interestingly, I had my co-worker split the contents of the file in two (it contains a series of images and each image is hot-spotted with a pop-up menu ... some pop-ups are quite detailed). I am able to access the second portion of the file, which is the part with the images that I hadn't created the pop-up menus for. The new file with the contents of the images WITH pop-ups still gives me the same error message.
            Is it possible that there are some limitations to the quantity of pop-up menus and content within, in a single PNG file?
            • 3. Re: Unable to open PNG file
              heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
              Strange indeed, the only other thing I can think of is to ensure that the troubled file is NOT set to read only, other than that is it possible to share the file to see if others can open it.

h
              • 4. Re: Unable to open PNG file
                Level 7
                heathrowe wrote:
                > Strange indeed, the only other thing I can think of is to ensure that the troubled file is NOT set to read only, other than that is it possible to share the file to see if others can open it.
                >
                >
                > h
                Perhaps it's a corrupted font on your system? That tends to give FW a
                lot of trouble

--
                Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                Extending Knowledge, Daily
                http://www.communityMX.com/
                CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                ---
                .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                • 5. Re: Unable to open PNG file
                  Level 7
                  LHarvey79 wrote:
                  > thanks, heathrowe.
                  > The only other person with access sits next to me -- she's not using the file.
                  > I also tried making a local copy, and I still get the same error.
                  >
                  > Interestingly, I had my co-worker split the contents of the file in two (it
                  > contains a series of images and each image is hot-spotted with a pop-up menu
                  > ... some pop-ups are quite detailed). I am able to access the second portion
                  > of the file, which is the part with the images that I hadn't created the pop-up
                  > menus for. The new file with the contents of the images WITH pop-ups still
                  > gives me the same error message.
                  > Is it possible that there are some limitations to the quantity of pop-up menus
                  > and content within, in a single PNG file?
                  >

Just an idea, why don't you remove the pop-up menu from the file you
                  can't open (by way of another computer) and see if you can then open the
                  file?

Steve
                  • 6. Re: Unable to open PNG file
                    LHarvey79 Level 1
                    Jim -- I don't think that's the problem, and I'm gauging that on the results from Steve's suggestion.

Steve -- Not surprisingly, that works. It seems that my complex pop-up menu (over 300 options) kills the file... although it's surprising that this just affects me and not my colleague. I doubt that there's anything else that I can do here to resolve this issue.
                    • 7. Re: Unable to open PNG file
                      Level 7
                      LHarvey79 wrote:
                      > Jim -- I don't think that's the problem, and I'm gauging that on the results
                      > from Steve's suggestion.
                      >
                      > Steve -- Not surprisingly, that works. It seems that my complex pop-up menu
                      > (over 300 options) kills the file... although it's surprising that this just
                      > affects me and not my colleague. I doubt that there's anything else that I can
                      > do here to resolve this issue.

What are the differences between you and your colleagues setup? Are you
                      PCs the same spec? Are you running exactly the same version of
                      Fireworks? Do you have less hard drive space than they do? Check what
                      extensions you are both running, are they the same or more? Maybe try
                      disabling them?

I don't think I can help much more, but it maybe gives someone else a clue.

Personally I don't think Fireworks creates the right pop-up menu
                      effectively for what you want. I would investigate other ways of doing
                      this.

Steve

• 8. Re: Unable to open PNG file
                        webinov
                        Hi,

I have the same problem than you with some files since I've upgrade to CS3.
                        I still can read the files in my old fireworks MX2004!!!

For information on my config,
                        (I use Vista ultimate 64bit but not seems to be the problem because tried on vista 32bits to be sure).
                        I've installed first my macromedia studio mx2004 pro.
                        Next, the demo of CS3 web premium (No problem still there)
                        Next, uninstall the demo to replace it with my freshly bought CS3 web premium upgrade.
                        I've Tried to repair the installation, nothing change. still bugging.
                        Can-t open my big files with CS3 (works with mx2004).
                        Small simple files are okay with CS3.

Do you have an idea?

thanks
                        Loïc
                        • 9. Re: Unable to open PNG file
                          LHarvey79 Level 1
                          Hi Loïc,

The only solution I could find was having someone else split the PNG into smaller files. Certainly not an ideal solution, but it was the only method I could find to make it work.

Sorry! :^S
                          • 10. Re: Unable to open PNG file
                            webinov Level 1
                            Hi,

I've made a simple test to reproduce my bug.
                            Make a new photoshop file
                            Apply a photoshop drop shadow on some text. Save It in PSD
                            Open the PSD with fireworks.
                            Save It
                            I can't open it with CS3 after that.
                            But Can be opened in flat image in photoshop

Maybe can help the adobe team....
                            • 11. Unable to open PNG file
                              iredg
                              I have the same problem.
                              Unable to open a file one day later. Crash.
                              The file is big with lots of folders and sub-folders.

I reinstall an older version of FW. Open the file, delete the Photoshop filter and save.

I can now reopen in Fireworks CS3.

Weird.

:)
                              • 12. Re: Unable to open PNG file
                                webinov Level 1
                                Thanks,

That's what I did... But not really efficient when you make your design with photoshop and Illustrator. You have do the things twice...

• 13. Re: Unable to open PNG file
                                  Level 7
                                  webinov wrote:

> I can't open it with CS3 after that.
                                  > But Can be opened in flat image in photoshop

Have you installed the Fireworks CS3 updater?

http://www.adobe.com/support/fireworks/downloads_updaters.html

--
                                  Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                                  http://www.projectseven.com
                                  Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                                  CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                                  http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                                  • 14. Re: Unable to open PNG file
                                    webinov Level 1
                                    Yes, I think so.
                                    I have version 9.0.1.1213

Is that right?
                                    • 15. Re: Unable to open PNG file
                                      barabashko
                                      i have the same problem, vista ultimate 32bit
                                      saved PNG project (few frames, made gif animation), trying to open it, and here comes the same error

fireworks CS3 9.0.1.1213

what can i do?! i cant open 3 project files now :(((
                                      • 16. Re: Unable to open PNG file
                                        barabashko Level 1
                                        is there any news?
                                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                        developer of team fortress 2 site
                                        • 17. Re: Unable to open PNG file
                                          if it is under use what shalli do now?
                                          • 18. Re: Unable to open PNG file
                                            Retreataa
                                            yes that version is correct