It sounds to me like you (accidentally) opened an new or empty catalog, instead of your most recent catalog.
Have you checked File->Open Recent to see if there are other catalogs listed?
Have you checked your hard disk to see what catalogs exist?
By the way, I seriously doubt this: "It must have erased the catalog during the integrity checking/optimization process prior to doing the backup."
Thanks for your prompt reply. I did in fact open my most recent catalog which now shows a size on the hard drive of 0 bytes. It was previously 1.1 GB. I had just completed doing work with this catalog and initiated the backup process upon exiting Lightroom. I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Adobe support. They agree that somehow the data in my catalog was deleted during the backup process and then that empty catalog was backed up leading to both the catalog and its backup being empty. They agree this should not have happened and have no explanation for the cause of this problem. Using an older catalog, we have verified that the backup process is now working properly. My only recourse is to revert to an earlier backup causing me to lose a week's worth of work!
My only recourse is to revert to an earlier backup causing me to lose a week's worth of work!
That's very unfortunate. But I hope you now recognize the wisdom of the Lr engineers who gave Lr the option to backup the catalog <Every Time Lr Exits>.
So, did you or did you not see any other catalogs under File->Open Recent?
Did you or did you not check your hard disk to see what catalogs exist?
Is Adobe going to treat this as a bug? or did they just say "we're sorry" and that's the end of it?
Hi dj_paige. Yes, I see 5 catalogs under File->Open recent, all old catalogs. I do not see my current catalog, probably because it is no longer a valid catalog. On my hard drive I see all 5 of the old catalogs plus my current one. But the current one now has a file size of 0 bytes whereas prior to the backup it was about 1.1 GB. I spoke to a supervisor at Adobe support and insisted they report this problem to the Adobe engineers as a bug. I did not, however, get a feeling of any confidence that they would do so -- he said all problems are reported. So I made an entry under "Report a bug" on the Adobe website for whatever that's worth. I guess the moral of this story is that one should do a backup after every editing session to minimize the amount of work lost. Thanks for your interest and help!