11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2013 4:21 PM by Guggi0

The Stabilizer is destabilizing my video

Guggi0

The stabilizer effect seems not to work correctly on my videos, even not in the default settings.

The result is worse, jumping frames, some of them are tilted, and the rendering takes a lot of patience and long long waiting.

Any idea how to do it better?

Peter

• 1. Re: The Stabilizer is destabilizing my video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Which version of the program are you using and one what operating system? How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have?

What is the subject matter of your video? Is it relatively stable content, like someone standing at a podium speaking, or something with a lot of movement and continually changing content? Can you post a sample clip of your results and post a link to it so we can see it?

• 2. Re: The Stabilizer is destabilizing my video
            Guggi0 Level 1

Dear Steve, here my answers:

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

à Sony HDR-HC7 , MPEG, 25 fps, 1440x1080

Which version of the program are you using and one what operating system? How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have?

à APE10, Windows 7 64bit, i7 940 2.93 GHz, 4GB RAM (checked the RAM, still about 1 GB is free during heavy use, except APE10 runs in a hang-up) & SSD 240GB Kingston Hard with SATAIII and 600MBs.

What is the subject matter of your video? Is it relatively stable content, like someone standing at a podium speaking, or something with a lot of movement and continually changing content? 

à It’s the second one, I follow my kids doing sport, but we did that very shaky and would like to have more continuous movements of the camera.

Can you post a sample clip of your results and post a link to it so we can see it?

à Sure, but where can I put the sample (on youtube ?) so that you can access it with a link?

Thanks!  Peter

• 3. Re: The Stabilizer is destabilizing my video

Since your camcorder is HDV, I assume you captured your video by connecting it to your computer with a FireWire connection and then using Premiere Elements' Capture tools to get the video. And I also assume that, when you started your project, you set it up for HDV 1440x1080 (not AVCHD). Am I assuming correctly?

Since the Stabilizer builds its stablizing corrections on a subject or color it identifies in the middle of the frame, it's much less effective at following action. Particularly if there's a lot of blurred movement and a lot of handheld shaking.

But we'll be able to diagnose more once you post your video to YouTube or Vimeo and then post a link to it on this forum.

• 4. Re: The Stabilizer is destabilizing my video
                Guggi0 Level 1

Dear Steve, here the video.

The first scene with Stabilizer, default settings, the second scene without. Not much a difference, isn’t it? For me the stabilized scene is maybe even worse than the non-stabilized.

To your question: Yes, I captured the video by FireWire and the project setup is HDV 1440x1080 (not AVCHD).

Peter

• 5. Re: The Stabilizer is destabilizing my video

Your results looks about right for default settings for the Stabilizer.

What happens if you change the Applied Effects settings?

Remember, that the Stabilizer is just math, not magic. So the more corrections the Stabilizer needs to add to your video, the more the program has to cut off the edges and zoom in and the lower the quality.

• 6. Re: The Stabilizer is destabilizing my video
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Stabilizer works great.

Is it suited for all shaky clips: hell no.

Your footage is far to shaky to get properly stabilized.

Did you have the OIS on?

• 7. Re: The Stabilizer is destabilizing my video
                      Guggi0 Level 1

Dear Steve,

I changed the applied effect setting toward stronger smoothing, up to 100%. But the results are getting worse.

Dear Ann,

Thanks for your comment. So I understand this type of video is not suited for the Stabilizer because it’s too shaky. To yor question: What is OIS (sorry, I’m a beginner in APE)?

Peter

• 8. Re: The Stabilizer is destabilizing my video

Your camcorder has some built-in features for steadying handheld video.

On my Sony, it's located in Functions/Menu/Camera Settings (where you set whether the cam will shoot widescreen or 4:3 video). It's called Steadyshot, and you can toggle it on or off.

• 9. Re: The Stabilizer is destabilizing my video
                          Guggi0 Level 1

Thank you Steve, I understand that might be the best option to use the Sony’s  HDR-HC1E  stead shoot setting, which I don’t remember if it was turned on at that time.

But the whole exercise is about having optimizing old video footage and I still don’t give up and will check some other tools to see if shaky videos can be stabilized better that APE10 can do it. Funny that even Youtube is asking to improve the video related shakiness while uploading, I might test how good they are in fixing that problem. J

However I have to confess that today I use the Sony Balanced Optical Steady Shot and this is a huge improvement!

Peter

• 10. Re: The Stabilizer is destabilizing my video
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure how it might (or might not) apply, but many really like the Mercalli plug-in, for stabilization.

Might be worth a look?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: The Stabilizer is destabilizing my video
                              Guggi0 Level 1

Much better, many thanks! Peter