4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2013 3:28 PM by DawMatt

Rename Images while tethering

purijatin Level 1

The tether canon plugin is awesome. What I want is to build a small plugin over it. When we start the Tether Capture, the below option is shown:

Screen Shot 2013-01-02 at 3.20.04 PM.png

Can I build a plugin using SDK, that above under the Naming panel, user selects a CSV file or a Lua script or something, based on which the files will be renamed. basically I want to rename Images on a different format rather than the default ones Lr provides.

• 1. Re: Rename Images while tethering
          areohbee Level 5

purijatin wrote:

Can I build a plugin using SDK, that above under the Naming panel, user selects a CSV file or a Lua script or something...

I doubt it. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such support in the SDK. - you may need to get "creative", or forget it...

Maybe somebody else can provide more hope...

• 2. Re: Rename Images while tethering
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

To build on Rob's reply: The Lightroom SDK doesn't provide plugins with access to tethered importing.  

But you could build your own Canon tethered import plugin by obtaining the Canon Digital Camera SDK:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d#DriversAndSoftw are

Invoking the Canon SDK from a LR plugin would be doable but would take a fair amount of programming, including in C or C++. 

• 3. Re: Rename Images while tethering
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Or depending on what you want to do, you could use Canon's EOS Utility to control the camera and have it place the photos into a folder that is monitored by your LR plugin, which then adds the photos to the catalog in the way that you want.

• 4. Re: Rename Images while tethering
                DawMatt Level 3

Rob Cole wrote:

purijatin wrote:

Can I build a plugin using SDK, that above under the Naming panel, user selects a CSV file or a Lua script or something...

I doubt it. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such support in the SDK. - you may need to get "creative", or forget it...

Maybe somebody else can provide more hope...

There is no pubicly available SDK for the tethering capability. Even if there was, I still don't think it would resolve the originator's request. The original request was to adjust the behaviour of the existing plugin using some configuration capability or the SDK. To do that we need Adobe to modify the existing plugin to allow that level of configurability or programability.

In this case I'd suggest adding a feature request in the feedback forums. It would be simpler for users if the tethering plugin allowed the level of control over naming being suggested.

Matt