12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 9:22 AM by John T Smith

Newbie questions

PC1998

Good day to you all.

I don't know if forum rules allow questions regarding software comparisons from other companies so I'll refrain from doing so for now until I know the answer.

I recieved PE11 for Christmas & have a few questions regarding the program.

Is PIP (both video & stills) doable? I'd like to be able to add PIP and then zoom it to become the main screen.

I've heard the term 'ripple editing'. It sounds like a good feature but have not seen that exact term used in PE11. Is it called by a different name?

I need to upgrade my computer and am not interested in spending a ton of $$$. Could you guys suggest some specifics that really should be a part of a build? Presently running 3g dual-core, 2.5g of ram, Radeon HD4600, Windows 7 32bit. I use Hero2 for most of my video & will eventually get Hero3 which has 4k video (whatever that means!). I don't mind waiting for a project to finish but right now I can't even complete a HD video that's much longer than 5 minutes due to the ram limits.

I've used a basic program up to now but it's time to move up. Which is where PE11 comes in.

Sorry if my questions should have been all separate threads - again, I'm a newbie so I'll take the lashings!

Peter

• 1. Re: Newbie questions
          LivingstonAtLarge

Hi Peter,

I use a Mac so a lot of the specs you mentioned are alien to me but it does seem that your RAM is pretty low. I had to upgrade from 4mg to 8mg to do video.

Ginger

• 2. Re: Newbie questions
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

All of this is covered in my book, if you're interested, Peter. It gives you step by step instructions for using all of the tools.

Yes, PiP is certainly possible in Premiere Elements, in Expert view.There are a number of ways to do it. The easiest is to put your main clip on Video 1 and your PiP on Video 2, then apply a PiP Preset (from the Effects).

By default, the timeline will ripple when you add or remove clips from it. And, yes, it's called rippling in Premiere Elements.

Your current computer should certainly be adequate for most video editing (although at least 4 gig of RAM is recommended). But that's assuming your video will be coming from a miniDV, HDV or AVCHD camcorder. Video from non-camcorder sources can be a bit more challenging.

The Go Pro Hero is not the ideal camera to shoot with, if you're planning to edit in Premiere Elements. But it's definitely worth a try. I recommend  you download the free trial and give it a test drive.

Meantime, I've created a free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series, if you're interested in how the basics of this program work.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Newbie questions
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

I think that most of your questions have been answered, but if not, please let us know.

If you are thinking about editing 4K footage, then you must consider spending tons of $, as a workstation to handle that footage will need to be very, very robust. Look at the ultimate computer in Harm Millaard's article on "What PC to Build:" http://forums.adobe.com/thread/947698?tstart=0. 4K footage is professional, in all regards, and is what is usually shot by Hollywood.

If all one was doing was editing AVCHD, then the "starter system" would be a good place to begin.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Newbie questions
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some computer ideas at http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM may help... these are, of course, MY ideas based on the computers I have built

• 5. Re: Newbie questions
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For a visuall of what 4K is vs other popular video formats, see below:

Digital_video_resolutions_(VCD_to_4K)_svg.png

As you can see, there are many, many more pixels in 4K footage.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Newbie questions
                    PC1998 Level 1

Thanks Ginger & Steve!

I found this thread for some info for computer specs. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1121110?tstart=60

Steve are you suggesting I use something different than PE11 for GoPros or is it just going to be the same with all advanced editing software? Again I'm new to this but the Hero2 video is MP4 and the reviews say PE11 is compatible. 

I'm using MovieMaker with good results but as I said, it's time to step up and do things just not possible with MM.

Sorry for my ignorance!

Peter

• 7. Re: Newbie questions
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

At this point, PrE will not Import 4K footage, but PrPro will.

As it is a professional format, I doubt that PrE will ever include it, unless much changes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Newbie questions
                        PC1998 Level 1

Wow Bill - had no idea that 4k was THAT much better!

Would adding more ram (like 16g) be a solution or does the processor need to be that much better?

Keep in mind that I do realise that I will need at least 6g ram and a quad core processor.

Peter

• 9. Re: Newbie questions
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

For the GoPro Hero 2 H.264 footage, PrE will handle that nicely, so long as one has at least an i7 CPU, and at least two physical disc drives would benefit one also. With a 64-bit OS (no reason to stick with 32-bit for a new computer), I would also recommend 12-16GB of RAM.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Newbie questions
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

For 4K footage (to edit it smoothly), one needs a workstation. I would recommend the fastest i7 possible, RAID 50 arrays for all media drives, with a dedicated controller with as much on-board RAM, as is possible, and then at least 32GB of RAM on the MoBo.

Some are suggesting using CineForm CODEC's to reduce the 4K footage, for easier editing, but if one wants 4K, then a hefty workstation is about the only way to go. The use of 4K is primarily for going to cinema projection, or cutting into film to digital Hollywood production. It is not for everyone, but is fabulous material to work with - it just requires a ton of computer horsepower to handle smoothly. Let's just say that it's the 70mm version of cine film.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Newbie questions
                              PC1998 Level 1

Thanks for all the info! Looks like I have LOTS to learn - which is good! The 4k video (Hero3) is something I'd like to add but probably not for another year. I'd mainly want a second GoPro to make 3D stuff first to play with. Looks like my first and second assignment is the computer upgrade and lots of reading! Should be fun!

Thanks again!

Peter

• 12. Re: Newbie questions
                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>make 3D stuff

Lots'a luck with that... even Premiere Pro is not YET up to editing 3D easily

Edit 3D http://forums.adobe.com/thread/702493

-with Cineform http://forums.adobe.com/thread/874014

-but not author http://forums.adobe.com/thread/861752

-CS6 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/998399

-and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1024892?tstart=0