6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 10:22 AM by G1GACANN0N

How is this build?

G1GACANN0N

Hi folks,

I am building a PC for my friend which will primarily be used for office work and video editing (using Premiere and After Effects CS6). His current PC is an Athlon X2 with a Radeon X800 (I built for him about 7 years ago), so needless to say he is unable to edit HD video currently without wanting to kill himself.

So I Spec'd out the following;

Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ08 Evolution Micro-ATX
      Power: Corsair Builder Series CX600 600W Power Supply
      Board: Asus P8B75-M/CSM mATX
      Memory: Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL11 Dual Channel Kit 1.5v 11-11-11-30 (2 x 8GB)
      Processor: Intel Core™ i7-3770 Processor, 3.40GHz w/ 8MB Cache
      Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti SSC 2GB 1071MHz 768 CUDA Cores PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI (He only uses a single monitor currently, and would like to add another soon...he won't ever be using more than two though)
      SSD: Sandisk Solid State Drive, 128GB
      HDD: Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA III w/ 64MB Cache
      BD/OPT: LG 14x Internal Blu-Ray Writer Retail
      Cooling: Corsair Hydro H55 CPU Cooler
      Card Reader: Bytecc 3.5in All-in-One Internal Card Reader

He has Windows 7/Monitor/Peripherals already, as well as an extrernal 1TB HDD.

Comes to $1000 before taxes, which is his budget. I am in Canada, build pc's regularily (but this is the first specifically for video editing, which I know little about) and always pricematch (comparing prices between seven different websites).

I feel pretty good about this build, but I am still sitting on the fence about going with a GTX 660 (non-Ti). Again, the only intensive use will be video editing. If I changed out the video card I'd have to remove the cpu cooler though and change something else, the budget doesn't allow for much deviation. He definitely wants that case so that is untouchable.

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: How is this build?
          RjL190365 Level 4

Several potential problems with that build:

1) No microATX case has anywhere near as good airflow or air circulation as a large case. Worse, microATX cases are often extremely linited as to how many fans one can install and/or how much front-to-rear room for higher-end graphics cards. Thus, the system could potentially overheat in the middle of encoding.

2) Although Corsair is a "good" brand for PSUs, that CX600 is really only a 500W PSU with a "600W" label on it (and, in fact, the CX600 is based on CWT's own DSA series 500W PSU).

3) The GTX 650 Ti is okay, but it is no faster than a last-generation GTX 560 non-Ti GPU. Worse, it actually limits the performance potential of that i7-3770 when it comes to CS6 MPE performance.

4) I would not go with a SanDisk SSD as all of its models are currently based on Sandforce controllers, whose real-world performance is significantly slower than their advertised figures. In addition, Sandforce-based SSDs are more prone to serious performance and reliability degradation with use than non-Sandforce SSDs.

Other smaller problems are that you chose a motherboard and CPU combo that does not allow overclocking at all.

• 2. Re: How is this build?
            G1GACANN0N Level 1

Thanks for the prompt reply RjL,

I have read every review I can find on that case and it is one of the best mATX cases out there...I am not worried about the cooling in the least.

I have heard that about this power supply, thank you for confirming such. Would 500w be sufficient for my build as it stands? Is the CX500 500watts or less than that? My only other choice around this price from the store I prefer to buy from is the Silverstone Strider Essential 500w ST50F-ES (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256061&Tpk=ST50F-ES).

Since this is a mid-range system (I believe?) would it be better to go with a 3570 and then upgrade the capacity/brand of the SSD? You're saying the 3770 cannot reach it's full potential because of the weaker GPU right? What about the benefit(s) of Hyperthreading?

Regarding the SSD, I actually found a better deal on a Samsung 840 Series 120GB if you can believe it, that would be a much better choice I assume? (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147188&Tpk=MZ-7TD120BW)

Overclocking is not a priority. BTW I'm not buying this stuff from Newegg, just linking to them as a point of reference. I am getting these components at a much better price than there.

• 3. Re: How is this build?
              RjL190365 Level 4

The CX500 is similarly "overrated", being based on a CWT 430W PSU. In fact, none of the PSUs that the store you "prefer" to buy from carries is sufficient for an editing rig. So, if your store carries only those three, then look for another store or online reseller to buy from.

Regarding the i7-3770 not reaching its full potential with a weaker GPU, I confirmed this in my testing: With a higher-end GPU, there is a significant inprovement in performance when going from 8GB to 16GB of RAM. However, with a weaker GPU, the performance with 32GB of RAM (the maximum that the LGA 1155 platform supports) is virtually equal to that of that same system with only 8GB of RAM installed. I tested my GTX 560 non-Ti on an i5-2400 system, and found its total performance score in Harm's and Bill's PPBM5 benchmark test suite is virtually the same with 16GB of RAM as it is with 8GB of RAM (this means that the GPU is clearly the limiting factor, even on an otherwise pedestrian-performing quad-core CPU-based system).

• 4. Re: How is this build?
                G1GACANN0N Level 1

I was referring to what was available from said store in my price range.

Spending a little more I could get an OCZ Modxstream 600w, Silverstone Strider 600w, Antec Earthwatts 650w, Silverstone Strider 700w, Cooler Master Extreme 2 Power Plus 725w (I hear CM PSU's are garbage?). Are any of these worth anything? (I've always used OCZ PSU's, and more recently Corsair PSU's, in my builds)

I don't really understand your second paragraph. Is the RAM an analogy for a video card? I also wanted your thoughts on the Samsung SSD and if I should go with a 3570 instead of a 3770?

Would I be fine going with a 660 (non Ti),  and getting a cheaper HSF and calling it a day?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: How is this build?
                  JEShort01 Level 4

G1GA,

For small and powerful, I think that a Silverstone TJ08-E (TJ08 was original I think) will allow for a rockin' portable system. I really don't know why more people do not build something like this for Premiere when they want portability. No it does not have a battery, nor does it have a built in display, but is does allow for quite a bit of fire power for the $1k cost. A laptop with this much oomph would cost on the order of 4 times as much.

How about one of the Corsair 650's? I've seen photos of gamer's builds using the HX650 with a more power hungry cpu and gpu than this build.

Regarding CPU, definitely stick with the 3770k. You would loose 4 cores (hyperthreading) with the i5-3570k and this would be very detrimental for CS6.

I agree with Randall, the GTX 650 is not enough for a nice balanced build. From what I've read, the GTX 660 Ti is pretty great for the price.

Do not go with the Samsung 840. It is a good price, but it has poor write speed for uncompressed files. The Samsung 840 Pro is awesome, I've used one.

Regards,

Jim

• 6. Re: How is this build?
                    G1GACANN0N Level 1

Thanks Jim,

I made a few changes, this is the revised build and I have submitted my order for it;

Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ08 Evolution Micro-ATX

Power: Corsair Builder Series CX600 600W Power Supply

Board: Asus P8B75-M/CSM mATX

Memory: Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL11 Dual Channel Kit 1.5v 11-11-11-30 (2 x 8GB)

Processor: Intel Core™ i7-3770 Processor, 3.40GHz w/ 8MB Cache

Video: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB PCI-E w/Dual DVI,HDMI,DisplayPort (He only uses a single monitor currently, and would like to add another soon...he won't ever be using more than two though)

SSD: Intel SSD 330 Series SATA III Solid State Drive Kit, 120GB

HDD: Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA III w/ 64MB Cache

BD/OPT: LG 14x Internal Blu-Ray Writer Retail

Cooling: TBD -- Probably a Zalman CNPS5X or CM Hyper 212+

Card Reader: Bytecc 3.5in All-in-One Internal Card Reader

I tried getting a better power supply but everything else was either OOS or a worse brand (Thermaltake/Cooler Master/OCZ). I hear Intel SSD's are best and this one has a much better write speed than the Samsung (over 400Mbps, the Samsung was only like 150Mbps which surprised me). It would have been nice to get a 660 Ti but the regular 660 was pushing it anyway...no doubt he'll be much happier with that over a 650 Ti though. Just have to decide on a cheap aftermarket HSF, liquid cooling is no longer an option.

$1064.26 after 5% sales tax here in Alberta, Canada (plus HSF)