14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 11:49 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Import 50fps in After Effects cs6

Trazaman Level 1

Hi all! I have some AVCHD files shooted at 50fps and I want to use it to do somw slow-mo effects. The problem is when I import this footages in AE in the interpret footage settings AE read the files as normal 25fps files...so I cheked in Windows and I think the problem might be there cuz Windows in the info panel of the files say: 25fps. I'm sure the files are 50fps cuz I shooted by myselfe...where can be the problem? ty

UPDATE: The problem seems only with interlaced record modes...in progressive modes windows recognize the 50fps...but why with interlaced no?

• 1. Re: Import 50fps in After Effects cs6
          Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

I had some issues a while back as I did not understand how AE works with footage and frame rates. There was a pretty long discussion you can find here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4654521#4654521

Hope there is something in there that can help.

Pierre

By the way, there are also camera limitations on frame rates, and how they are interpreted into After Effects. CHeck the camera manuals for any specific settings you might need to keep in mind.

• 2. Re: Import 50fps in After Effects cs6
            Trazaman Level 1

Thx for the answer but I'm an Adobe Certified Expert in AE and the problem is not related to the program funcnions...:)

• 3. Re: Import 50fps in After Effects cs6
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

UPDATE: The problem seems only with interlaced record modes...in progressive modes windows recognize the 50fps...but why with interlaced no?

There are other factors at work.  You mention interlaced and progressive, which leads me to think this footage was NOT shot on a RED or Alexa camera.  It would appear that you used a more popular HD camera.

Which leads me to think that your problem is a function of resolution.  Most common HD cameras are incapable of shooting 50p at 1080; they shoot interlaced.  Some common HD cameras are able to shoot 50p, but only at 720 and not 1080.

So here's the question: what is the resolution of your footage?  If it's 1080 AND you're certain that you shot progressive, it isn't 50p, it's 25p, and you should interpret the footage with no field order.

• 4. Re: Import 50fps in After Effects cs6
                Trazaman Level 1

The camera is a sony nex-5r. The camera can record at 50p 28M (ps), 50i 17M(fh) and 50i 24M (Fx). U can't set the resolution of the footages. U can just select between this 3 record modes. As I said before the problem is that from this 3 format the only one recognized from the pc as 50fps is the progressive one...but in the camera all the formats are correct...

• 5. Re: Import 50fps in After Effects cs6
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

I don't understand the problem. 

Your computer tells you that the 50p footage is 50p and the 50i footage is 50i.  You undoubtedly know that 50i means it is interlaced, which means that it is at 25 frames/sec. 

Everything is functioning as it should.  If you want 50p, shoot 50p.

• 6. Re: Import 50fps in After Effects cs6
                    Pierre Devereux Level 2

Our Panasonic AF101 states that it can record at 50fps (which it can), but the problem is, that it cannot output at 50fps. It encapsulates 50 discreet frames imbedded as a field in a 1080/50i data stream.

Try this suggestion:

1) Shoot at 1080/25P

2) Use Variable Frame Rate of 50FPS

3) Capture directly to Samurai device

4) Import file into after effects and interpret as 25FPS seperate fileds - Upper field first

5) Create new composition from footage - then double the frame rate of the composition (leave footage as interpreted above)

6) Render this comp out to a TIFF sequence

7) Import TIFF sequence into new composition with a Frame Rate of 25FPS - this now plays back at half speed, smoothly as the above process give me 50 discreet frames.

and see if you get the 50 discreet frames. dont worry about the first few steps, that is just the devices I use, try taking it from step 4.

Hope it helps,

Pierre

I also see Dave's answer, and he is also right. The 50i would play back as 25 interlaced fields. What is the issue with the files that are you trying to slow down? what is not working properly?

Pierre

• 7. Re: Import 50fps in After Effects cs6
                      Trazaman Level 1

But if 50i is 25fps the 25i is 12,5fps? U are loosing me here...I admit I'm noobish in this field since I never did slomo :)

• 8. Re: Import 50fps in After Effects cs6
                        Trazaman Level 1

The issue is that if I import the 50 progressive in Ae I can reinterpret footage to 25fps and this gimme slomo. If I import the 50 interlaced Ae render the file as a 25 fps so I can't reinterpret the footage

• 9. Re: Import 50fps in After Effects cs6
                          Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

you dont get 25i. Here is a link that gives some details on frame rates: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

When you import your 50i footage, it is working the way it should. for slow motion, 50p is is the one you want.

Pierre

• 10. Re: Import 50fps in After Effects cs6
                            Trazaman Level 1

Hi, I read it and u are right: 50p seems the right format for slomo. But reading from Wikipedia to record normal footage I should use the 50i...I'm really loosing myself :(

• 11. Re: Import 50fps in After Effects cs6
                              Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

It all depends on what yoou want and what you are going to output etc. Do some reading up on it, but I am sure the other guys can give some more info on this

For instance, I am working on a project aimed at TV broadcast, and they require 50i. I do all my shooting and work in 50p or 25p depending on what I am doing (slow mo or normal) and then the final output will be done into the correct format.

Pierre

• 12. Re: Import 50fps in After Effects cs6
                                Dave LaRonde Level 6

... 50p seems the right format for slomo. But reading from Wikipedia to record normal footage I should use the 50i...I'm really loosing myself

Relax.  Take a deep breath.  Exhale slowly through pursed lips.  Do it again.  Now, isn't that better?

Think back to the days when everyone shot on film.  How did they create slow motion then?  They shot at a higher frame rate.  When the film played in the projector at the normal frame rate, the motion was slow.

The same thing applies today: if you shoot at a high frame rate, then conform the footage to the normal frame rate, the motion will be slow.  It's how they make super slow motion.  There are cameras that easily shoot at 1600 frames/sec.  When such footage is conformed to 25 frames/sec, the motion is 64 times slower than normal.

Perhaps I should take the test to be an Adobe Certified Expert in AE.

• 13. Re: Import 50fps in After Effects cs6
                                  Trazaman Level 1

U totally lost the point...u are explaining to me how fps works...and of course I know this stuffs...my question was about a problem in importing 50p or 50i and fortunally Pierre answers helped me a lot even if he was a bit out of point too...before consider to take the test for after effects consider to take a test for English :)

• 14. Re: Import 50fps in After Effects cs6
                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If there is one more personal insult on this thread, I'm locking it.