8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 11:19 PM by c.pfaffenbichler

Problems with CS6 on my system

genoism Level 1

So I gave cs6 another try since release....

Here are the things that are yet still preventing me from upgrading. Simple quality of life changes that are in cs5 and not in cs6.

1. Why is it that sometimes after selecting a gradient color in the layer styles, occasionally the enter key does not accept/close the window for editing the color? Drives me crazy honestly that I have to manually click ok. Yet in other times the enter key works just fine...

2. Seems like I need to restart photoshop very often nowadays, why? Because when transforming/moving objects the inner rendering window(canvas)will just go completely blank in a solid color....and when I stop moving/transforming it will come back to normal. The only way i've been able to fix it is with a restart - not cool. Doesn't happen in cs5, I have the latest drivers for my video card and I even tried disabling opengl with no success.

3. SAVING. Why oh WHY did you make saving so retarded compared to cs5. Not only does it seem to take longer but at least in cs5 it would "queue" up my saving. What I mean is this, if I hit ctrl+S to save my psd, and immediately push ctrl+shift+S to save as a jpg it get the lovely error of..."Could not complete the save as command cuz the document is currently being retarded".

Didn't happen in cs5. Annoys the hell out of me.

4. Lastly, maybe this is just something that takes getting used to but - I don't like the new way the layers are displayed over cs6. I find it hard to find my layers. The search tools were a good addition but it feels like I almost have to use them now because layer icons/spacing between layers, etc are just so different from cs5. Would be nice if we could revert the layer look and feel to cs5. Not just the overall color scheme.

• 1. Re: Why upgrading to cs6 is STILL not worth it.
          Noel Carboni Level 8

genoism wrote:

I have the latest drivers for my video card

What card is that?  An ATI brand card perhaps?

Right now the latest Catalyst driver release from ATI is NOT working properly with Photoshop.  If you have something newer than Catalyst 12.8, the best current strategy is to uninstall what you have an reinstdall 12.8.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Why upgrading to cs6 is STILL not worth it.
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

3. SAVING. Why oh WHY did you make saving so retarded compared to cs5. Not only does it seem to take longer but at least in cs5 it would "queue" up my saving.

So why not turn »Save in Background« off (Preferences > File Handling)?

• 3. Re: Why upgrading to cs6 is STILL not worth it.
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

4. Lastly, maybe this is just something that takes getting used to but - I don't like the new way the layers are displayed over cs6. I

Could you please post screenshots?

What are the Panel Options (from the Layers Panel’s fly-out menu)?

Edit: Sorry, forgot »Shape Layers« – yeah, the Vector Masks of those are displayed differently indeed compared to the old Fill Layers.

• 4. Re: Why upgrading to cs6 is STILL not worth it.
                genoism Level 1

Yes I do have ATI, but I need to have the latest drivers for my other software for which the latest drivers did fix problems.

So why not turn »Save in Background« off (Preferences > File Handling)?

Because I want the auto save feature on? This was one of the *biggest* reasons for me to upgrade.

About the layers, like I said, just something feels harder to look at. Maybe the bevel in the font of the layer names?

**Another additional thing that I've noticed, ctrl+tabbing through files gets laggy for no reason sometimes. Never happened in cs5 even with large files. Seems to happen especially right after I duplicate an item from one psd to another.

• 5. Re: Why upgrading to cs6 is STILL not worth it.
                  genoism Level 1

Also I just found some other REALLY annoying quirks.

1. In cs5 if I had a shape layer, I could click on the color part to turn off the selection(border box) of the shape but still keep that layer selected. Now i can only have it selected and have the border around.

2. Even more annoying when selecting a color with the color picker. Steps to reproduce:

1. New layer with something in it.

2. Layer style >gradient overlay

3. double click a color stop

4. now if i want to use the eye dropper to grab a color from my screen and drag the screen to find the color i want....after one drag, (keep holding the space bar but let go of the left click, then left click again to try and drag in another direction) it won't let me drag until the "smooth drag" stops....really annoying....(I realize i can turn off flick panning to "fix" this but why upgrade...so i can turn off features that were working before?)

• 6. Re: Problems with CS6 on my system
                    bellevue scott Level 1

Aside from the preview icon bug, CS6 has been a good upgrade for us here. The GPU support has shown a real improvement in performance.

As for #3: Background save takes some getting used to, but if you're constantly working on multiple files in a high output environment it's a real time saver. We work on files that are 500MB +, and it's nice to hit save and then go do something on anohter file while it's saving. Over the period of several hours of working on really large files, that's a real time saver.

• 7. Re: Problems with CS6 on my system
                      Pashminu

May be installing new video card will be helpful. I have an ATA Radeon card and CS6 work perfectly fine.

• 8. Re: Problems with CS6 on my system
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

As for #3: Background save takes some getting used to

Or one can simply turn it off …

1. In cs5 if I had a shape layer, I could click on the color part to turn off the selection(border box) of the shape but still keep that layer selected. Now i can only have it selected and have the border around.

One can deselect the Vector Mask in the Paths Panel or simply switch to a non-vector Tool.

genoism, some of your complaints seems pretty much unjustified.