10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2013 9:15 AM by ECBowen

Disk setup for Laptop on Premiere Pro CS6

derekins

So, I have read the guidlines on disk setup but I feel that it is geared towards a desktop setup. I would like to know how do I setup a laptop that has the three (3) HDD bays. I only have two drives on it and I am looking forward to buy a new one depending on how you guys reccomend it is set up. My OS disk is 128gb Crucial M4 and the second drive is a 7200 750GB seagate momentus xt. Which will eventually become:

OS - 128gb SSD

Source - 750gb drive

Render - ?????

External - cache/export/storage

Should I go for another 7200 drive of the same kind or should I remove it and go for SSD for both source and render? Thank you very much for any help.

• 1. Re: Disk setup for Laptop on Premiere Pro CS6
          JEShort01 Level 4

What you have already is really a pretty good laptop configuration. Do you have either built in eSATA or USB 3.0 to use for an external drive or array?

You would likely be well served with at least one additional external drive or external RAID but it does somewhat depend on what you are editing (DV, AVCHD, # layers, effects, etc.) and also what cpu, gpu, and RAM amount you have in your laptop - what do you have?

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: Disk setup for Laptop on Premiere Pro CS6
            derekins Level 1

It has an esata and usb 3.0 ports. Most of the time I'll be editing DSLR footages. So these are H.264 in quicktime wrapper.

the laptop has a

i7-3740qm processor

gtx 660m 2gb

16gb ram

just trying to gauge if I will benefit from standalone ssds or would 2 7200 drives would do. we do on site editing on corporate and personal events some time and our challenge is to export and render at the fastest/quickest time possible.

tia for the help Jim.

• 3. Re: Disk setup for Laptop on Premiere Pro CS6
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The best and least costly method is to rewrap the MOV files into a MPG wrapper, since that avoids using the 32 bit QuiRcktime server and allows you to use the 64 bit nature of PR. The next step is to add an eSATA disk for exports. The difference between SSD and conventional HDD for export is marginal and may not be worth the price difference.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Disk setup for Laptop on Premiere Pro CS6
                JEShort01 Level 4

Good, that is a strong laptop spec.

I'd vote to go with a second matching Momentus in bay 3 for sure.

Suggest you buy it, configure it, and test it out to see if you have the drive speed with your workflow to max out your cores (monitor w/ task mgr) with just the two internal drives and nothing external. I don't have much personal experience with your particular codec (sounds like Canon DSLR?), but I suspect that you will be CPU bound more than disk I/O with this setup.

Your eSATA extrernal drive or array may only be needed for backups. If it does turn out you are want or need even more drive performance, configure the two 7200 rpm drives as a RAID 0 in the laptop and bundle with something (single 7200 or G-RAID mini) coupled externally.

Jim

• 5. Re: Disk setup for Laptop on Premiere Pro CS6
                  derekins Level 1

That is true Harm. But most of the time when editing on site, we do not have the luxury of added workflow transcoding the video. Time is our greatest enemy but rewrapping/transcoding definitely helps.

• 6. Re: Disk setup for Laptop on Premiere Pro CS6
                    derekins Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion Jim. I'll try adding another momentus and see how it works. Then later I'll go buy a pair of SSDs and see how it fares. Which will then make the 2 momentus drives converted into an external storage when the time comes. Yes, we are working with a Canon DSLR and if memory serves right it is a H.264/MPEG-4 AVC in a MOV file.

If I had the 2 momentus drives in raid 0? wouldn't that affect my workflow drastically for not having a separate source and render drives? Sorry, but the logic of the generic disk setup guideline comes to mind.

• 7. Re: Disk setup for Laptop on Premiere Pro CS6
                      JEShort01 Level 4

Adobe's ability to tap CPU + GPU + RAM + drive speed all simultaneusly is fantastic for us as users, but can also make exact predictions of what will work best for a particular hardware configuration, codec, and workflow difficult.

When I suggested populate bays 2/3 with Momentus 750GB's and seeing how that works without any external drives connected at all, I was intending for you to start out with them as separate drives. Then, if you determine that you have are being limited by I/O (which I still kinda doubt), RAID 0 the pair and move media cache, cache DB, and exports to the external drive.

Jim

• 8. Re: Disk setup for Laptop on Premiere Pro CS6
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

http://cineform.com/products/gopro-cineform-studio-premium

Cineform is extremely fast in converting the files to Cineform's codec and is far easier to edit. Cineform will also subsample the color on the DSLR material. I would atleast take a look at the trial.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: Disk setup for Laptop on Premiere Pro CS6
                          derekins Level 1

Alright, thanks Jim. Your help is very much appreciated. I'll go for that 2 drives first.

Oh and thank you very much for the suggestion Eric. I will definitely buy a cineform product soon. I have already tried it before but never had the opportunity to purchase it. Perhaps this is a good time to buy a copy. Will Neoscene be good enough for a start?

• 10. Re: Disk setup for Laptop on Premiere Pro CS6
                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Well Neoscene would work with the DSLR but has limited options compared to Studio Premium. I would suggest the Studio Premium at this point.

Eric

ADK