Please explain what you are doing exactly.
Here are the screenshots of what I am doing.
1. I want to remove the brown from the background. The mom was hiding under a sheet to hold up baby so he wouldn't fall back.
2. I used quick selection tool to select this section of the brown sheet. If I try to use content aware it doesnt get the correct background. So I tried using the patch tool to specify where I want it to replace from (the white brick above the sheet). I drag the selection up to the white brick and it previews the correct brick replacement, but when I let go of the mouse I get a reflection as in the 3rd photo.
I am not very fluent with photoshop, I primarily use Lightroom so I could very well have something turned on that I don't realize. But I have no idea what that would be! Help!
I used quick selection tool to select this section of the brown sheet. If I try to use content aware it doesnt get the correct background.
And how should the function be aware that the wall is the content you want instead of the content that actually borders the selection (the sweaters for example)?
In my opinion you are not using the tools best fitted to the task.
• lifting part of the wall on a Layer of its own
• putting that in a Group with a Layer Mask that combines the brown textile and the white wall
• moving the Layer into position to cover the textile and more or less match up with the wall
• applying a Layer Mask to the Layer, too, and painting it in in the lower part with white
• if necessary using a Clipping Masked Curves Layer to adjust the brightness
Another option would be to lift the content you want onto a Layer of its own and then use Content-Aware Fill.