16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 12:30 PM by 99jon

How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2

Panthercules

Well, I thought I had solved this problem by re-installing PSE 8, since it worked again for a while.  However, now inexplicably it has started having the same problem again (i.e., refusing to get past the license agreement screen even though I click "accept") - see this thread for the first part of this problem/discussion:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4823143#4823143

This time, after trying all the suggested solutions without success, I again tried to just go ahead and re-install PSE8 to solve the problem.  HOWEVER, this time I keep getting an error message during the attempted installation (actually, during the beginning part where it makes you uninstall PSE8 before it will install it again) that prevents the installation from completing.  The error is shown below:

So, I'm stuck and unable to use my copy of PSE8.
      Anybody know how I get past this mess and get it working again?
        • 1. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2
          andaleebfatima1 Adobe Employee

Please try manual uninstall as directed on the page : http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/manually-remove-photoshop-elements-9.html

After this restart your system and try installing again.

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 2. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2
            Panthercules Level 1

Thanks for the response.  However, I ran into a problem while trying to follow the instructions when I got to the following step:

"Back up any personal files you want to save from the following folders, and then delete the folders and files for your edition of Windows: ..."

I don't know where PS8 stores all my personal info about the catalog/collection I've already scanned in (and all the custom tags I created and stuff), so I don't know how to back them up and make sure I don't lose them when I delete all those folders listed in that instruction.

How do I make sure I get it manually uninstalled without losing all the work I've done so far on my several hundred scanned photos and documents?

• 3. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2

I guess I would have saved the catalog file only. Other than that, all PSE related files can be deleted.

If you know where your catalog is (By default it is present in C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs), you can copy your catalog folder to some other lcoation and go ahead with the next steps.

<Sorry for a late follow up, just lost track of this thread>

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 4. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2
                Panthercules Level 1

Hmm - I do not have a Catalogs folder in that location (or anywhere else I can find).  However, I did find where I had made a backup copy of my PS8 catalog back in November before I started having all these problems, so hopefully I'll be able to restore from that somehow once I get PS8 uninstalled and reinstalledagain.

• 5. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2

In that case, I think you can go ahead with the manual uninstall.

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 6. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2
                    Panthercules Level 1

Well, that didn't work

Is there a corresponding manual uninstall explanation/direction for PSE Version 8?  There were a lot of files/folders/registry keys listed in that version 9 document that I could find no corresponding version 8 counterpart for, and even after I deleted everything I could find that seemed to be even remotely PSE 8-related, there must have still been some traces left somewhere because the installation routine on the disk still tried to uninstall and still crashed out as unable to do so.

So, I'm still stuck and unable to install or use PSE 8.

• 7. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2

Please try contacting Adobe chat service. They might help cleaning up the leftovers of previous installations.

http://www.adobe.com/support/download-install/supportinfo/

In the US you can call:

1-800-642-3623 or 800-833-6687

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 8. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2
                        Panthercules Level 1

Is there some reason that the chat service is not available when they say it is?  It says it should be available M-F until 7PM PST (which should be 10PM ET), but I've checked for two days now before 10 PM ET and it's said that the chat service in unavailable.

• 9. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2
                          Panthercules Level 1
                          Well, I finally got through to the chat folks tonight, only to be told that they refused to help me because PSE8 was too old a version
                          So, it looks like I'm just hosed.  I'm taking another stab at installing the trial version of PSE 11, just in case it can get past the problem, but I gotta say at this point I'm not getting good vibes about PSE being a viable alternative here if it's just gonna break for no reason and Adobe isn't going to support it when it does.
                          Too bad, since the PSE Organizer in Version 8 was doing just about everything I was looking for a program to do as far as scanning in and organizing my photos and documents, but I guess I'll have to start looking again and see if someone else has a solution that might actually work long term.
                          • 10. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2
                            mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

Well, i can suggest one solution that will work.  The solution involves removing Adobe product(s) completely AFTER you have de-activated them as the tool I am going to recommend will remove all traces of Adobe products from your system so that you can start all over again.  The tool in question is here:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html>

Read the entire page first and then download and run the tool on your system.  You should be successful.

Good luck.

• 11. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2
                              Panthercules Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion.  However, so far at least my copy of PhotoShop (not Elements) is still working just fine, so I don't want to do anything that's going to remove that or screw it up, since I may never be able to get that working again and I'm sure it's older than Adobe will want to support as well.

I will keep that in mind though, in case this PSE 11 screws up my real PhotoShop installation and I have to start all over again.

BTW - how would I go about "deactivating" my old PSE Version 8 that I can't get to any more - is that done on some Adobe web site or do you have to have the program running to be able to "deactivate" it?

• 12. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2
                                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to be in the Editor application. Click the top menu:

Help >> Deactivate

• 13. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2
                                  Panthercules Level 1

Then that wouldn't work, since I can't get the program to start/open, so I can't get to that screen any more.

• 14. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2

Each version of PSE is a self contained application and there is no need to uninstall earlier versions if PSE11 is working OK. You would only need to deactivate if you wished to sell PSE8 to a third party. But in those circumstances you can get Adobe to transfer the license.

• 15. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2
                                      Panthercules Level 1

OK - thanks for trying to help, but I'm outta here.  After telling me last night that the Adobe Chat service won't support or help me with my PSE 8 problem because it's too old, I D/L'ed and installed the trial version of PSE 11 last night.  It fired up OK last night, but today it said it had some updates to do, so I let it install them.  Now, PSE 11 fails to open.  I tried to chat with Adobe support, explained the problem and gave them a copy of the error message details.

They then said that the Adobe Chat service will not support or help me solve the problem with their latest version of PSE, because it's the trial version and they only help with the very first launch, and they only support the full version.  I guess they expect me to buy the full version when I can't get the trial version to start and they won't help.  Gotta say, that won't be happening.

Just for grins, the relevant portion of the chat log is set forth below.

======================

General Info

Chat start time

Jan 17, 2013 2:29:49 PM EST

Chat end time

Jan 17, 2013 2:49:58 PM EST

Duration (actual chatting time)

00:20:09

Operator

Basavakumar

Chat Transcript

Thank you for your patience.
                                      info: You are now chatting with 'Basavakumar '
                                      Basavakumar : Hello. Welcome to Adobe Technical Support.
                                      Basavakumar : I have received your query. Please allow me a moment to verify your account and to review the details of your request.
                                      Panthercules: Hello again - I think we chatted last night
                                      Basavakumar : As I understand that you are unable to work with Photoshop Elements 11.0, am I correct?
                                      Panthercules: That's correct now - since you couldn't help with my PSE8 problem last night, I decided to try the PSE 11 trial version again to see if I could get that working
                                      Basavakumar : Thank you for confirming.
                                      Basavakumar : I will be glad to check and help you with this issue.
                                      Panthercules: Thanks - here is the error details on the message I'm getting when it stopped working today (after working OK last night):
                                      Panthercules: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: Photoshop Elements 11.0.exe Application Version: 11.0.0.0 Application Timestamp: 505e85c3 Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 00000000 OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Information 1: 0a9e Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789 Additional Information 3: 0a9e Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789 Read our privacy statement online: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409 If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline: C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
                                      Basavakumar : May I know what is the exact error message you are getting when you try to launch Photoshop Elements 11.0 application?
                                      Panthercules: see above
                                      Panthercules: It starts with the popup saying "Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 has stopped working"
                                      Panthercules: and then gives the above info as "problem details"
                                      Basavakumar : Just to confirm before you were able to launch Photoshop Elements 11 application?
                                      Panthercules: Yes - it installed last night (without choking on the failed PSE8 uninstall as I thought it might), and it launched and imported the PSE8 catalog just fine. I launched it a couple of times last night, just to see if it was working. But when I tried to launch it today to do some scanning, it popped up a message about updates being available. It installed those, but now fails to launch
                                      Basavakumar : Thank you for confirming.
                                      Basavakumar : In this case you need to refer the Adobe forums.
                                      Basavakumar : Please click here Adobe Forums.
                                      Basavakumar : Please click on the above link to visit Adobe Forums
                                      Basavakumar :
                                      Basavakumar :
                                      Basavakumar : Is there anything else I can help you with?
                                      Panthercules: So, again you're saying that the Adobe Chat support doesn't support even the latest version of PSE 11 and you can't help me with this?
                                      Basavakumar : Yes chat support is available for Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 fullversion.
                                      Panthercules: So, somehow you expect me to buy the full version when the trial version stops working and you can't help me get it working?
                                      Basavakumar : For trial version support is available only for first launch.
                                      Basavakumar : So please visit the forums for further assistance.
                                      Basavakumar : Is there anything else I can help you with?
                                      Panthercules: No - no point - looks like I won't be needing any support from Adobe as I never plan to buy anything from an outfit with this lousy support - thanks anyway.
                                      Basavakumar : Thank you for contacting Adobe. Good Bye.

=======================

For those of you stuck with troublesome Adobe software, I'm glad you have a helpful Forum here, but I can't see it making any sense to buy any more software from a company that has such crummy official support, so unless my copy of PhotoShop goes belly-up sometime I guess I'm gone.

Thanks for trying to help folks - too bad Adobe doesn't have the same attitude.

• 16. Re: How to get past License Acceptance Screen? (PSE8) - Part 2

Sorry to her about your experience. I can empathies with that and have had similar on-line chats. It’s as if the guys in India have a fixed script from which they can’t deviate and with no room to use judgment. I mean, it’s as if you’re not an existing creative suite customer with other projects registered. Why they can’t look at the whole relationship with Adobe, I shall never know?