1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 4, 2013 7:26 AM by c.pfaffenbichler

missing component-fatal error

MrsMMMMB

i just recently migrated all the info on one macbook to my new macbook. everything works fine except that when i try to open a file in CS4. a message pops up saying "missing component - fatal error". i have numerous message boards with no solution. uninstalling & reinstalling doesn't seem to fix it & so i am at loss as what to do. my lightroom 4 works just fine. help?

• 1. Re: missing component-fatal error
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

What is your OS version?

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated?

As with all unexplainable Photoshop-problems you might try trashing the prefs (after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed) by keeping command-alt-shift pressed on starting the program or starting from a new user-account.

System Maintenance (repairing permissions, purging PRAM, running cron-scripts, cleaning caches, etc.) might also be beneficial, Onyx has been recommended for such tasks.

Weeding out bad fonts never seems to be a bad idea, either. (Validate your fonts in Font Book and remove the bad ones.)

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.html

If 3rd party plug-ins are installed try disabling them to verify if one of those may be responsible for the problem.