10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 1:48 PM by TYPE A RSS

Deleting Column Break Changes Formatting

TYPE A Community Member

When I do a search and replace of a Column break and replace it with a Frame break, the paragraph and character formatting of the line on the next page clear any formatting applied to it.

I'm using CS6

Any ideas on how to do this without effecting the formatting?

Thanks,

Peter

• 1. Re: Deleting Column Break Changes Formatting
          Richard Groff Community Member

You'd be better off controlling this in the paragraph style itself (Keep Options: Start Paragraph in Next Frame).

But if you're already far into the layout and don't want to change that, try doing a search and replace where Column Break is replaced with both a paragraph return and a Frame Break (if there is currently no return before the Column Break).

• 2. Re: Deleting Column Break Changes Formatting
            TYPE A Community Member

Thanks Richard, but that doesn't work either. When I add the Paragraph return and Frame Break it forces the Frame Break to the next card (see attached file) and after I search to replace the Paragraph Return and Frame Break to just a Frame Break the attached file shows what happens to the type.

Some how the Frame Break overrides the formatting of the line before it. Unfortunately I've already spent hours editing and formatting these cards (2,000 of them) and its more work to go back and do this in the original Word file.Card Layout.png

Thanks for any help you may have.

Peter

• 3. Re: Deleting Column Break Changes Formatting
              peter at knowhowpro Community Member

Showing text threads might help understand it better.

Also, if this content originated as Word, there may be gremlins in the converted/imported/placed text. You might try, on a copy of the file, exporting as IDML and opening the IDML as an InDesign file.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 4. Re: Deleting Column Break Changes Formatting
                TYPE A Community Member

Thanks for the reply Peter, the text thread is from the left card to the right card, the Frame/Column Break in question is right before the Card number on the right hand card. That line is setup using auto numbering with a paragraph style and 2 character styles. The Word file is fairly clean as I clear overrides to it after I place it into InDesign then apply the same font, point size and leading to the entire file. Then do search and replaces to apply the other styles.

And Exporting to a IMDL file didn't change anything.

Thanks,

Peter

• 5. Re: Deleting Column Break Changes Formatting

It's still a little vague to me... If the frame break is in the midst of a line of text, then:

* Is there a reason the end of the current card's content doesn't end with a paragraph return?

* Is there a reason the start of the next card's paragraph style doesn't have the start in new frame/colum/page property?

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 6. Re: Deleting Column Break Changes Formatting
                    TYPE A Community Member

Yes, because the cards are done in a single format, for proofing and viewing and before going to the printer they are put into a file that's setup 100-up. And without the Frame Breaks the cards won't show up in all 100 boxes.

Unless there's a way to take the single cards and imposition them to 100-up in the proper orientation. 100-up Fronts and 100-up Backs.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Deleting Column Break Changes Formatting

I'm not sure why each frame/card's content won't be controlled properly with the start in new frame/column/page property, rather than needing a break character.

As to imposition issues, there are folks on this forum far more experienced than I am, in strategies for this.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

TYPE A wrote:

Yes, because the cards are done in a single format, for proofing and viewing and before going to the printer they are put into a file that's setup 100-up. And without the Frame Breaks the cards won't show up in all 100 boxes.

Unless there's a way to take the single cards and imposition them to 100-up in the proper orientation. 100-up Fronts and 100-up Backs.

Thanks!

• 8. Re: Deleting Column Break Changes Formatting
                        TYPE A Community Member

Due to having 100 separate text boxes on one large page, unless its a Frame Break the next card will always try and look for a text box on the next page. Not sure why this is, a Page Break I can understand, but not a Column Break.

• 9. Re: Deleting Column Break Changes Formatting

I'm out of ideas.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 10. Re: Deleting Column Break Changes Formatting
                            TYPE A Community Member

I am too and I appreciate the help. Its only about 400 Column Breaks that need to be replaced and I'm about half way through doing so.

Thanks again for trying!!

Peter