15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2013 11:35 AM by the_wine_snob

Problems with Premiere EL 10

SAngeli

Hi,

I run a homemade PC with an old Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo, AMD Radeon™ HD 6570 gpu, an AMD Opteron Dual-core CPU and 4 GB or RAM all under windows 7 pro x64.

I run Adobe Premiere Elements 10 x64 version installed and I have few complaints about the software. I wish to ask for advice to those who have much more experience than I have.

I wish to understand if the newer version available (rel. 11) address and resolve some of these questions; if some come from my hardware rather than from the software; if Adobe Premiere Pro would solve all these issues. Please let me kindly know and if possible to all my questions.

1. I do not like the fact that that the preview area is not fully representative of what I see on the final project when I watch it on the TV. Is this fixed with rel. 11 or still the same?
      2. When working with menu again the preview is not representative of what I will see on the final project. Rather I see it all blurry. Is this fixed with rel. 11 or still the same?
      3. When I move left/right in the timeline an object that needs to go elsewhere, the software references always to where the Red Line is positioned.
      4. I have real problems exporting pictures.
        First of all the only extension it exports it is “bmp”. This software should export in different formats.
        Second the picture exported is not exactly as the one displayed on the preview area but because of this “Aspect Ration” and Square/round pixel I get all pictures distorted. My native movie is 720x576 but it behaves differently. I was told that I have to later on adjust it with Photoshop elements but do not know even how to. Using other simpler and inexpensive software when I export a picture it is perfectly exported. Why does this program behaves so differently what should I do to reach my goal? Has anything changed with rel. 11 or still the same?
        Third, I do not like the fact that when I insert a picture, in the preview area is not reproduced with same quality and if the picture is much bigger it distorts it. How to approach this?
        Lastly, this software lucks of a useful feature that creates picture gallery all preformatted like with “Windows Live Movie Maker” does. I had to use this alternative to create an EXCELLENT presentation when I should have used Premiere EL.
      5. I do not like the fact that when using a menu I am unable to play a background sound for longer than a fixed amount of seconds. I wish to let a background sound play until the end user will start seeing the movie.
      6. I do not have a very fluid software when operating with it. Sometimes, I have a ½ sec of interruption between when I do something and when the software responds. This specifically when I hit play / stop on the preview area. I do not know if this has to do with my PC or not.
      7. I do not like the fact that I have two monitors but I am unable to use both of them. I wish to use them together so I can have more area where to work and look.

Thank you for taking your time to answer all my questions.

• 1. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's start with a few questions, to get everyone up to speed on why you might be seeing what you are.

It appears that you have SD PAL Source Footage, but is it Widescreen 16:9, or Standard 4:3 Footage? This will determine the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio). Also, what is the format, and the CODEC used in that format?

What did you choose at New Project? That Preset should match your Source Footage 100%.

It seems that you are outputting to a DVD-Video (as you mention Menus). Is that correct?

With that info, we can then address each of your questions better.

For # 5, you are limited to an ~ 30 sec. Audio on a Menu. The way around that is to do the authoring to DVD-Video, in another program, like Sony's DVD Architect. Being a full-featured authoring app., you will have much more control, than in the limited, and linear authoring section of PrE.

For # 6, you are likely stressing your computer's RAM allotment. With a 64-bit OS, that 4GB RAM is just about enough to run the OS, with almost nothing left over for programs. It would be much, much better to bump the RAM up to at least 12 - 16GB, depending on what your Asus MoBo can take.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

For # 4, use Publish & Share/Computer/Still Image.

Although I can't really tell if you're looking for help or you just want to rant.

• 3. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
              SAngeli Level 1

Hi Steve,

your suggestion would let Premiere Elements export either the entire movie or a section of the working area. But this is not what I want.

Rather, what I am looking for is while moving through the timeline and wish to export a specific frame I would click on the camera symbol and this is where I export it. This is what I need.

cam.pngThis is the symbol I refer to.

Spiro

• 4. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
                SAngeli Level 1

Hi Bill,

thank you for your quick reply.

The specs of the source recorded comes from a DVD (VOB) as you can see:

dvd.png

This is how the project is set to:

Propietà del progetto.png

As for the Codec I am unable to reply. Please tell me how to provide you this info and I will be glad to provided it to you.

Spiro

• 5. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

No. My method is the only way to output a still from your video that isn't a bmp file.

Though I still can't tell if you're looking for help or just looking for a fight. You really came out swinging.

• 6. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>comes from a DVD (VOB)

This link may help

Read Bill Hunt on editing a VOB/MPG file http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549

• 7. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
                      SAngeli Level 1

Where on earth do you come from with the idea I wish to swing or fight?

Man, I need help!

All I do is ask questions regarding what I find being difficult using this software.

I have been using this software since ver 9 and am deciding whether or not to purchase ver 11 (as I have ver 10).

I am also considering the remote possibility of purchasing the Pro version. Do I look like as a user who wish to waste your time or the forum time?

... ... ...

Regarding your answer, all I said is that if I wish to export specific frames (if I am properly stating my question) in a dynamic way meaning while moving through the timeline I see a specific shot I wish to convert in picture the only way I know is by following the step I indicated you. What you suggest is exporting either the entire movie or a section of a workspace. Is this correct? Can you please confirm? If so, there are plenty of free software that do this but most important I am not interested in exporting 3 hour movie for ending up with a huge amount of picture and just having to pick let's say 10 perhaps wasting 1 hour browsing throuth the many pictures being generated. Rather, while watching the movie via the timeline I find what I like and I just get it. This is what I can do with Microsoft Windows Live Movie Maker, with VLS and many other applications BUT I wish to do this with Premiere as I purchased it and do not find any reason why I should look around for other softwrae solution.

I hope I properly explained my question so that for this N.4 question we reach a correct reply and not a idea of if I am swinging or fighting.

Thank you Steve

Spiro

• 8. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
                        SAngeli Level 1

Hi John,

thank you for your link. I will be reading it with great interest hoping to find good material to learn from.

Spiro

• 9. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
                          SAngeli Level 1

Hi,

as I need to obtain answers to most of my question by the end of the day (because there is a special offer for purchasing rel 11 at discounted price by the end of the day), if possible I wish to ask for someone to please answer to my questions so that I know if rel 11 has resolved some of my issues and if perhaps the full Pro version does not have these kind of issues so I optimize my expensed.

Thank you to anyone who heps,

Spiro

• 10. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Spiro,

In general terms, PrE does not allow for the direct, and totally dynamic method for Exporting individual Frames, on the fly. Even PrPro cannot do that. BUT, and I hope that I am not confusing PrE and PrPro (I have and work in both, so sometimes I get confused - just bear with me on this, please), one CAN Export/Share an Image Sequence, where each Frame is basically a Still Image. Then, in Photoshop (at least in PS CS6), can Import that Image Sequence, and extract the desired Frames, as a Still Image. While I have not done that in Premiere, one could probably also Import the Image Sequence into another Project (or Sequence in PrPro), and then just Delete all unnecessary Frames, leaving just those desired. Before PS CS 6, one would need PS CS 4 - CS 5.5 - Extended, to have Video capabilities. However, even in other versions of PS, one should still be able to Open the Image Sequence, as individual Images. That said, as one has ~30 Images per second, that can be a lot of Images to have open, so one does need a stout computer, if the Image Sequence's Duration is very long.

Now, let's explore another workflow. In Premiere (Elements, or Pro), one can dynamically add Markers to the Timeline dynamically, by tapping the * key on the numeric keypad, as the Video plays. This is often used for manual beat-detection. Then, when the Markers are in place on the Timeline, one can step through those, and do the Export to Still, as Steve has outlined - not all in one step, but should get you what you want in two steps - Markers, then step through the Timeline, Marker to Marker, Exporting at each (or very close by, if needed).

Good luck, and I have tried to use my memory, to think of any NLE (Non Linear Editor), that I have ever used, that allows true dynamic Frame to Still Image, and cannot think of a single one. Pinnacle and AVID Liquid could not (in the versions, that I have used), Magix MovieEdit Pro and CyberLink's PowerDirector could not (in the versions that I have used), but do not know about the Mac products, like FCPx, iMovie, etc., and I have not used either Sony's programs, or AVID's Composer. Maybe someone else knows of one, that can do exactly what you want, without that two-passes on the Timeline.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I am probably too late for this, but in regards to PrPro, let me address your questions, as I understand them:

1. I do not like the fact that that the preview area is not fully representative of what I see on the final project when I watch it on the TV. Is this fixed with rel. 11 or still the same?

The Program Monitor will show 100% of your Video Frame, if set to 100%, and the Program Monitor is expanded to allow it show the full raster of the Frame.

2. When working with menu again the preview is not representative of what I will see on the final project. Rather I see it all blurry. Is this fixed with rel. 11 or still the same?

With PrPro, one gets Adobe Encore, a full-featured DVD/BD authoring program. It can do some Menu editing, but most users do that in Adobe Photoshop, where they have much more control.

3. When I move left/right in the timeline an object that needs to go elsewhere, the software references always to where the Red Line is positioned.

In all versions of Premiere, the editing is tied directly to the CTI/Playhead. I do not understand why one would want to edit separately FROM the CTI/Playhead, as it shows the Frame, at its location. Maybe you can explain this question to me.

4. I have real problems exporting pictures.
                              First of all the only extension it exports it is “bmp”. This software should export in different formats.
                              Second the picture exported is not exactly as the one displayed on the preview area but because of this “Aspect Ration” and Square/round pixel I get all pictures distorted. My native movie is 720x576 but it behaves differently. I was told that I have to later on adjust it with Photoshop elements but do not know even how to. Using other simpler and inexpensive software when I export a picture it is perfectly exported. Why does this program behaves so differently what should I do to reach my goal? Has anything changed with rel. 11 or still the same?
                              Third, I do not like the fact that when I insert a picture, in the preview area is not reproduced with same quality and if the picture is much bigger it distorts it. How to approach this?
                              Lastly, this software lucks of a useful feature that creates picture gallery all preformatted like with “Windows Live Movie Maker” does. I had to use this alternative to create an EXCELLENT presentation when I should have used Premiere EL.

PrPro does not offer a direct, dynamic Export to Still Frame, but I listed one workflow, that should get you close.

5. I do not like the fact that when using a menu I am unable to play a background sound for longer than a fixed amount of seconds. I wish to let a background sound play until the end user will start seeing the movie.

As mentioned above, Adobe Encore (included with PrPro) will allow you to expand the Duration of Menu Audio to well-beyond the ~ 30 sec. limit with PrE.

6. I do not have a very fluid software when operating with it. Sometimes, I have a ½ sec of interruption between when I do something and when the software responds. This specifically when I hit play / stop on the preview area. I do not know if this has to do with my PC or not.

Slow response will be a factor of the footage being edited, the Project/Sequence Preset, and the power of one's computer will determine how fluidly the program operates. This is for any version of Premiere.

7. I do not like the fact that I have two monitors but I am unable to use both of them. I wish to use them together so I can have more area where to work and look.

Which "two monitors" are you referring to? PrPro will allow one to have several "monitors" open, from ganged Program Monitors, to Waveform displays, etc. It also offers more editing capabilities in the Source Monitor, than does PrE, including a full Trim Monitor with keystrokes for most 4-point editing commands. PrE's Source Monitor offers simple Trimming (different from the Trim Monitor in PrPro).

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
                                SAngeli Level 1

Hi Bill,

thank you indeed for your reply. I truty thank you!

I belive my best option would be to upgrade to ver 11 of PrE for the time being and be happy with what it offers. I do like Premiere product a lot. I believe some of my issues are tied to my luck of proper hardware. Moreover, I believe I would be happier if I would opt for PrPro but I am unable to afford it now and mostly I should first upgrade my hardware.

I will open specific Forum question for few tecnical issue I still have to sort out.

One quick question (I will ask tech support too):

Currently I have installed (on Windows 7 Pro) and several Adobe software. How to properly and completely uninstall Photoshop EL and Premiere EL 10 for installing than ver 11? I wish that my PC is clean.

I usually run RevoUninstaller but considering that I have other Adobe software installed it would be very difficult to precisely know what to remove and what to leave; obviously I refer to potential leftover on System Registry and HD.

Thank you,

Spiro

• 13. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Spiro,

The Add/Remove Programs, should do a fine job of uninstalling your earlier version of PrE, but that is not really necessary, unless you need the HDD space, as two versions can coexist happily on the same machine. Some users have 3, or more, versions installed, to test for people in this forum. As most Adobe programs do NOT overwrite earlier versions (Acrobat Reader is one exception, that comes to mind), PrE 11 will be installed totally separately from earlier versions.

I do not know your uninstaller program, so cannot comment on it. I had an earlier utility of that type (name eludes me now), that was bought out by Symantec/Norton, but have not used it, since about NT 4, as the Windows uninstaller function got much, much better.

When doing a complete uninstall, I usually run CCleaner (a free utility), to just clean up the Registry, as some Registry Keys are often left over. However, and even though it has never bitten me (like some other Registry cleaners have), I always do a backup of my Registry (default with CCleaner), before I do anything, and also do a System Restore Point, just for safety.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
                                    SAngeli Level 1

Thanks Bill.

I will post back once I have the new version installed. In the mean time, would it be possible to confirm me if I did correctly set the project according to the VOB specs posted? I am learning about this which is the most important step to start with.

The shooting was done with a professional Sony HXR-NX5E handycam; it was set to letterbox. The recording was done with a Panasonic device and the end result is a DVD with 720x576 resolution 25 frames/s. Now I wanted to set the projetc as 16:9 but PrEl was than changing it to 4:3

I have to learn a bit abotu this. Please let me know if this is correct and also if you can share some good references where to learn this important step; when acquiring external data like from Internet or from a recording device.

Thanks,

Spiro

• 15. Re: Problems with Premiere EL 10
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

For the 16:9 vs 4:3 situation, it is probably that PrE is missing the 16:9 "flag." With SD material, which can have different PAR's (Pixel Aspect Ratio), to determine whether things are Widescreen 16:9, or Standard 4:3, there are "instructions," written to the file's header. Normally, Premiere will correctly read these instructions/flags, but depending on the device/program used to write the file, they might not be apparent, and picked up by Premiere. When that happens, one can usually "force" Premiere to properly handle the files. In the Project Panel, one can Rt-click on the Clip(s), and then use Interpret Footage. There, one can force Premiere to see the Clip(s) as Widescreen 16:9. If the Project is set up for DV Widescreen 16:9, that should get Premiere to use the correct PAR to attain Widescreen.

Now, some cameras do not shoot true Widescreen 16:9, but instead crop 4:3 footage to simulate Widescreen. I do not know your camera, or how it handles Widescreen. That could be an issue. Most newer cameras DO produce true Widescreen 16:9 for SD footage, and now, most shoot HD, where there is not a PAR issue (only one HD standard, Anamorphic, uses a non-square pixel).

Good luck, and let us know if Interpret Footage straightens things out for you.

Also, if your Panasonic device was a DVR (I have one with both VHS and DVD), then it likely does not write the first VOB with 100% DVD-compliance. Few units, including pro units, do that part properly. The DVR's add a rudimentary Menu and navigation, that is NOT 100% DVD-compliant, and that messes things up for Premiere, or most other NLE programs. Why the decision was made to deviate from 100% DVD-compliance is a question, that I have never seen answered.

In my case, I use my Panasonic (model number eludes me right now) to Capture VHS tapes through a Canopus A-D unit, attached by FireWire, and ONLY use its capability to write a DVD, for archiving purposes, and NOT for any editing.

Good luck,

Hunt