8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2013 10:09 PM by Chris Cox

Faint grey border when printing on roll paper in Photoshop CS5

vendezle

When I print in Photoshop CS5 on roll paper, there is a faint grey border that prints all around my image.  I haven't created a grey border in my files.  Does anyone know what setting is creating this or what's going on?  And how i can stop it?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Faint grey border when printing on roll paper in Photoshop CS5
          kendallplant Adobe Employee

Hi there! Because the forum you originally posted in is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop, I moved your question to the Photoshop General Discussion forum, where you'll get more specialized help.

To help others help you, please read through this article and provide any additional relevant details.

• 2. Re: Faint grey border when printing on roll paper in Photoshop CS5
            Level 7

Which OS version?

Which printer model?

There was a MacOS bug that would cause color or gray in the background due to a mistake in ColorSync. (that one was fixed in an OS update)

And we've seen some printer drivers that accidentally leave a single pixel border around the print in some cases.

• 3. Re: Faint grey border when printing on roll paper in Photoshop CS5
              vendezle Level 1

Sorry I forgot the details.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.7.5

And the printer is a Stylus Pro 4800

I'm printing Tiff files and psd files.

This is a problem i started noticing in the past few months. It didn't used to happen. But I don't remember any major change that I made or exactly when it happened.

I did recently start using a new paper, Illford Prestige.  And i downloaded the latest profile to use with the paper.

Before that, I was using gallerie smooth pearl with the appropriate profile.  The grey border happened with that paper too.  But it seemed to go away when I selected "Roll Borderless (Retain Size)" in the printer dialog. 

But now that I look back at those prints, I kind of see an even fainter border.  Not as dark, but I think it's still there.  Hard to tell, it's so light.

Hope that helps!

• 4. Re: Faint grey border when printing on roll paper in Photoshop CS5
                Level 7

You shouldn't have the ColorSync bug (which I think was fixed in 10.7.3 or 10.7.4).

But the profile could cause some confusion for the Epson drivers (and honestly, their 38x0/48x0 drivers seem to have a lot of problems).

You probably need to talk to Epson, and don't let them insist that it's an application problem.  Photoshop doesn't print outside the image area, and Epson has some history of problems like this.

• 5. Re: Faint grey border when printing on roll paper in Photoshop CS5
                  vendezle Level 1

I called Epson yesterday.   They felt pretty certain it was a photoshop issue.  Keep in mind that the grey border is on the paper, but doesn't reach all the way to the edge of the print. There is about a 1/8'' white border around the grey border. It looks to me like it is printing a light grey wash over the entire printable area.

• 6. Re: Faint grey border when printing on roll paper in Photoshop CS5
                    vendezle Level 1

Also, just did this test:

I used all of my old settings:
                    Roll Paper selected
                    Ultra Prem. Photo paper luster
                    Super 2880 dpi
                    no high speed
                    And then I used the old paper profile for ilford gallerie smooth pearl. (I used this even though I'm currently printing on Ilford Prestige paper.)
                    And it came out with NO faint grey Border!

Then I tried it with all of those same settings, except I used the older profile for Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl for the ROLL paper (IGSPP11Roll_EPP4800_PSPPn.icc)
                    Then I got the grey border.

And finally just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I tried one more time:
                    All settings as above except I chose the GPSPP12_EPSpro4800_PSPPn
                    Which is the profile I downloaded to match the prestige paper.

And GREY BORDER!

So It seems like using the prestige profile was giving me the wash of grey. And also the roll paper version of the old gallerie smooth pearl also gave me a grey border.

But what should I do now? I want to use the proper paper profile so my colors and tones come out right. I don't feel comfortable just using the wrong paper profile just to stop the border.

On another note, I researched the Highlight Point shift (based on advice I heard from a friend) and that really sounded like what was causing it. However, I am not even seeing that on my printing options. I must be using a different driver or something. When I'm in photoshop, i just select "File - Print" and then go through that normal dialog. Is there some other way to print that gives me many more options?

Thanks to you all for your help so far.

• 7. Re: Faint grey border when printing on roll paper in Photoshop CS5
                      Level 7

First line Epson support always thinks the problem is with the application (despite all evidence).

You'll have to escalate the issue to get decent answers from Epson.

• 8. Re: Faint grey border when printing on roll paper in Photoshop CS5
                        Level 7

OK, so this is some variation of the old ColorSync V4 profile bug.

That is something you should point out to Epson once you've escalated the support call.