6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2013 4:53 PM by Alex - DV411

New Computer needed for Premiere Pro

RickP33 Level 1

I am not too tech-savvy when it comes to some computer specs, but over the years of using Adobe Premiere Pro, I have used many computers with this program, and while all of them met the system requirements, I have had problems in each instance.

I am currently using CS4 on a Dell Precision T3500, which has been pretty good so far, but now I am editing much larger projects that have extensive data and files, and now my system has slowed down to the point where I can no longer render my media without Adobe freezing up and crashing. For reference, the size of the .prproj file is 15M, and is using over 10G of media, and is freezing up on me.

A simple solution would be some sort of add-on to my system to make it work faster with preview files and can render & export quickly, but realistically I will need a better computer overall to accomplish this. Would a specific graphics card solve this problem?

If I were to start from scratch with a brand new computer from Dell.com, what would be the best OS, Processor, Memory (any noticable difference between 4G and 6G?), and anything else needed to allow Premiere Pro to function smoothly with large projects? I would like it to be cost-effective, but what's most importand is getting PPRO to work the way it is meant to for professional, high-end projects.

I don't need to dissect & learn the interworkings of my car in order to drive it. I wish the same could be said about Adobe Premiere Pro and the computer specs needed for it...

Thanks for your time and effort to help me out. Much appreciated!!

-Rick

• 1. Re: New Computer needed for Premiere Pro
          Jeff Bellune Level 5

[moved to hardware forum]

• 2. Re: New Computer needed for Premiere Pro
            wb_martin Level 1

Rick,

I don't have any specific suggestions to address your question but wanted to share a perspective that you might consider going forward.  (I am sure others in this forum that are more well-versed with CS_X/Adobe Premiere Pro andrelated hardware requirements for higher-end processing will jump in anyway). 

You might consider a new system which is designed/built/tested specifically for use with CS_X/Adobe Premiere Pro and not just a high-end commercial (Dell) product that maybe "should work" for your needs.  The analogy is that if you're looking to drive a racecar off the showroom floor without worrying about what's under the hood, them maybe consider the option of buying it from an experienced (and reputable) builder/company that does it all the time.    I suspect costs may be comparable in the final analysis anyway, and you should check that out, but you may drive it off with a better sense that it will actually perform.

Just sayin... good luck!

• 3. Re: New Computer needed for Premiere Pro
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rick, there is at least one forum member that builds video editing systems that I would trust if I were not building my own.  Take a look at ADKvideoeditng and talk to Eric they will ask you the right questions to design a system that works for you and their support is excellent.

Look at our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) to see what hardware makes for a good fast editing system.

• 4. Re: New Computer needed for Premiere Pro
                Alex - DV411 Level 2

A simple solution would be some sort of add-on to my system to make it work faster with preview files and can render & export quickly, but realistically I will need a better computer overall to accomplish this. Would a specific graphics card solve this problem?

It might help; the 1st step is analysis of the system to see where the bottlenecks are.  Resource Monitor in Windows may give you an idea of what is happening when Pr freezes - getting close to memory limits, storage bottlenecks, etc.

Most often it's memory; then storage; after that - CPUs and GPUs (graphics cards).

If I were to start from scratch with a brand new computer from Dell.com, what would be the best OS, Processor, Memory (any noticable difference between 4G and 6G?), and anything else needed to allow Premiere Pro to function smoothly with large projects? I would like it to be cost-effective, but what's most importand is getting PPRO to work the way it is meant to for professional, high-end projects.

T3600, T7600, depending on the budget.  Windows 8 Pro or 7 Pro 64-bit. 32GB RAM.  A decent GPU (GeForce GTX-670).  Or you can simply model the configuration after one of the systems here (those are HPs: Z420 is roughly equivalent to Dell T3600, Z820 - T7600).  Nothing against Dell by the way - great systems.

• 5. Re: New Computer needed for Premiere Pro
                  JEShort01 Level 4

Rick,

You may not need to know all the inner workings of your car to drive it, but buying a new (or used) car these days involves quite of bit of research just to understand all of the various option packages!

Let me start by completely agreeing with both wb_martin and Bill Gehrke comments, although neither is suggesting you buy a stock Dell! I know enough to build and support my own systems, but ADK indeed rocks for anyone who wants a cost effective turnkey system customized for their specific video (or audio) editing needs.

I also agree with Alex's comments and his "hybrid" recommendation regarding a Dell or HP workstation with a nVidia gamer's series GTX video card. You cannot however order those from Dell's or HP's web sites though since they normally only offer the Quadro nVidia cards on their workstation series offerings.

I will assume that you are editing DV and/or HD and not RED 4k or larger media.

Dell has systems in both their gamers line and workstation line that would work pretty well for large projects assuming you jump up to Adobe's CS5/5.5/6 software which supports use of both cpu and gpu (video card) processing to really speed up editing and renders:

Workstation - Dell T3600

Xeon E5-1650, 6-core, 3.2GHz (3.8 GHz turbo), Win7 Pro 64-bit, $1629 base price

635 watt p/s $35

32GB 1600 MHz ECC RAM $819

Quadro 5000 2.5 GB $1309

4TB RAID 0 $252

Blu-ray burner $222

TOTAL = $4266

Gamer's Alienware Aurora

i7-3930k factory oc'd to 4.1GHz, Win7 Pro 64-bit, $2119 base price

32GB, 1600 MHz RAM $450

GTX 680 2GB video card $450

4TB RAID 0 $250

Blu-ray burner $125

TOTAL = $3394

The workstation option is a really solid system (like your T3500) and Dell's workstation support is pretty good.

The gamer's option is significantly less expensive and faster. I personally think that its also pretty UGLY!

IMHO Dell and HP provide very nice workstation base systems but then charge really inflated prices for memory, hard drives, optical drive upgrades, etc. So, that brings you back to a "hybrid" option if you would be up to it. That is, buy a base Dell (or HP) workstation and then add 3rd party RAM, graphics card, and hard drive(s). That will not void your warranty, but will not be a completely turnkey solution either.

BTW, HP makes a killer workstation pre-configured powerful enough to edit Red 4k. Unfortunately it costs almost $10k!

Good luck with this adventure!

Jim

• 6. Re: New Computer needed for Premiere Pro
                    Alex - DV411 Level 2

The gamer's option is significantly less expensive and faster. I personally think that its also pretty UGLY!

Amen. Finally, someone said it.

That will not void your warranty, but will not be a completely turnkey solution either.

Unless you buy one from... you guessed it.

It's not outside of their business model, in fact HP and Dell's business models are built on VARs and channel partners.  It may not be immediately visible to the naked eye when you visit hp.com or call them, yet in fact there were times you couldn't buy a Compaq workstation other than through a VAR.  Dell and HP both are a little too big to have app-specific pages on their web sites.  Should have done it years ago, though, so that people seeking, say, Adobe CS qualified configurations, knew where to go rather than hear inside sales pitches to order something from them right now.  I ask my clients to never agree to whatever HP salespeople pitch them on the phone (like overpiced memory upgrades).  Put your credit card down! - yet they still do it.  That same HP memory can be purchased for half-the-price if you know where to look.

My company had a quarter of Compaq / HP booth at one of the NABs years ago, showing off turnkey hybrid systems based on Compaq Evos.  Promax is HP's favorite video VAR now, and they're actually doing a decent job.

So it's always a surprise to me seeing people write, "you can't order a good video editing turnkey from HP". To me, it's like, duh, you're not supposed to order it direct - just through a VAR or SI - but then I come from a different experience - when you couldn't order it direct and had to go through a channel partner.

(Off my soap box now - does any of the above make sense?)