8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2013 1:31 PM by Fuzzy Barsik

Are you still experiencing AVCHD Issues in Premiere CS6

jetreport

Hi,

I am moving to the Creative Cloud and out from Final Cut Pro if February. I shoot with a Sony HXRNX5U. AVCHD. Works great in FCP am worried about workflow when I switch to premiere. Is Premiere still having difficulties with this format?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Are you still experiencing AVCHD Issues in Premiere CS6
          josephs51576386 Level 3

I constantly work with AVCHD footage from the NX5U and I experience 0 issues. However a lot of people who edit with AVCHD footage do indeed experience problems when dealing with spanned AVCHD media (so generally people only have issues when dealing with longer clips "spanned"). It really seems to vary from person to person and camera to camera. However on the PC side there are free programs that will join all your clips extremely quickly and this will solve the problem. (At least from people I know that have actually tried it) However it will lose your metadata info but if you don't care about that then it's not a big deal. Also as you're most likely aware the Sony content management utility software also joins your media for you without any quality loss and extremely quickly. (It comes with the nx5u)

• 2. Re: Are you still experiencing AVCHD Issues in Premiere CS6
            Jim_Simon Level 8

If you're not having any issues with media from that camera, then it's likely jetreport won't either.  Not all cameras are affected, but those that are seem to be for everyone.  The corollary is those that aren't also don't give anyone issues.

• 3. Re: Are you still experiencing AVCHD Issues in Premiere CS6
              jasonvp Level 3

jetreport wrote:

Is Premiere still having difficulties with this format?

I still can't use CS6 because of its spanned AVCHD issue.  Editing longer AVCHD clips from my 2 Sony cameras is impossible with CS6 at the moment.  Perhaps they'll fix it some day, but I've kinda given up hope on it and have pretty much considered that purchase a waste of money.

jas

• 4. Re: Are you still experiencing AVCHD Issues in Premiere CS6
                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Since you're on SONY cameras, have you tried PMH utility to transfer your MTS files to HDD? As ComputerNovice25 mentioned, it's free (comes with a camera and downloadable from SONY website as well), performs true rewrapping (i.e. you don't lose quality over re-encoding, 'cos it doesn't do re-encoding, and all the metadata should remain preserved) and fast (time spent on converting MTS files from camera to M2TS ones on HDD is similar to time spent on simple copying AVCHD folder from camera to disk).

• 5. Re: Are you still experiencing AVCHD Issues in Premiere CS6
                  jasonvp Level 3

Fuzzy Barsik wrote:

Since you're on SONY cameras, have you tried PMH utility to transfer your MTS files to HDD?

No, and I'm not going to.  The AVCHD issue doesn't exist in CS5.5, and I can edit my clips fine in that version.  I transfer my clips to disk by popping the SD card out of the camera and connecting it to my computer.  It takes no CPU time to do so, and is reasonably quick (USB2 speeds).

Adobe has already acknowledged the problem, and they've said they have absolutely no ETA on the fix.  Personally, I find that somewhat pathetic, and I'm done purchasing new versions of the software.

jas

• 6. Re: Are you still experiencing AVCHD Issues in Premiere CS6
                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

You claim that CS6 is a waste of money just because of this spanned AVCHD clips bug, while not even going to try quite efficient workaround...

I'm afraid people, who just blame the wheather whereas never bother to take an umbrella, are beyond of my understanding... Sorry...

That's not to say the bug mustn't be fixed.

• 7. Re: Are you still experiencing AVCHD Issues in Premiere CS6
                      jasonvp Level 3

Fuzzy Barsik wrote:

You claim that CS6 is a waste of money just because of this spanned AVCHD clips bug, while not even going to try quite efficient workaround...

PMH is a Windows-only thing (as ComputerNovice25 was careful in pointing out).  Since I'm on a Mac like the original poster of this thread, it doesn't apply to me.

• 8. Re: Are you still experiencing AVCHD Issues in Premiere CS6
                        Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Sorry, I didn't notice you're on a Mac.