25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 11:29 PM by reachist

How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?

reachist

I have read title "Full screen playing of video from camera on laptop" and all answers.

I think I have same problem. However, user said he solved problem by installating program MyScreenCam.

I did same actually, I mean, I installed same program and its workin full screen by using my laptops camera fine.

However, thats not I want, what I want to do is, using my camcorder as webcam.

That program does not see my camcorder. My Laptop has firewire 4pin and I have suitable cable.

Camcorder itself also have firewire connection but when I connect to laptop, nothings happen.

My camcorder is Sony trv310 and As known, old program DV Gate plus does not work with win7.

Sony customer service could not help me since I called them 2 times.

I have bunch of hi-8 tapes and I want to record those tapes into computer.

Can anybody help me best way to get same or best quality from camcorder tape to computer?

I see there are some cables online fireware (1394) to usb which I dont think I can get clear video with that.

Is there any other cable like a/v cables (yellow-red-white) cable to fireware?

Please some help. Thanks

• 1. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Connect the camera to the machine using FireWire.  Open Premiere Pro and capture using it's Capture window (F5).

• 2. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
            reachist Level 1

Thank you for your help.

When I try it, program says, capture device is offline.

Cable connected to camcorder and computer correctly.

Both inputs are 4 pin fireware and its new cable.

I tried camcorder both in playback and recorder position.

:Laptop does not recognize my camcorder.

I have another laptop with fireware connection, still laptop does not recognize camcorder.

I really want to know why.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
              reachist Level 1

I really want to know why. I have two different laptop with fireware connection but both does not recognize this camcorder.

Do I need to install special program before connection fireware cable from camcorder to laptop?

• 4. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                Stephen_Spider Level 3

Broken firewire port on camera? It happens.

If you can find another DV camera, you can test the cables and laptop ports.

• 5. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                  reachist Level 1

Thank you for this usefull answer. Yes that could be the reason.

Because laptop does not do anything when I plug.

So, its good to try it in another camcorder.

Or, good to try new cable with this camcorder so cable could be broken as well.

I will update information soon.

Regards.

• 6. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Hi-8 material is analog. You need to output from the camera to a Grass Valley ADVC or similar and from the ADVC over firewire to the computer to capture digital material.

• 7. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Or a Digital 8 camera that can play Hi-8 tapes.

• 8. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

:Laptop does not recognize my camcorder.

There's your issue.  You need to solve that first.

• 9. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          Hi-8 material is analog.

True, but that model camera is actually Digital 8.

• 10. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                            reachist Level 1

Thank you for your answer.

I have tried it in 2 different laptop and both does not recognize.

I dont think I have problem on the laptop.

So I have ordered new i-link (fireware cable).

When I have it, I will try to see if problem is about cable.

Then, if its still does not work, I will purchase another digital8 camcorder.

• 11. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                              reachist Level 1

Previous message analog hi-8 etc confused me.

But yes, my camcorder is TRV-310 and its Digital8 already.

Problem could be on the camcorder's fireware port.

That could be broken. I ordered new cable and will check it when I receive.

If still does not work, as I said, I will purchase new digital8

• 12. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                                reachist Level 1

I have been trying to solve this problem since long time.

Yesterday night, I found DVD recorder from craiglist which had 1394 port (FireWire).

I was thinking, if my laptop has broken FireWire connection, I can connect camcorder to the DVD Recorder.

Then I could record my old hi-8 tapes to DVD and transfer them to my computer finally.

However, I connected DVD Recorder to tv and hooked camcorder to it, no luck. System did not see camcorder either.

Then I decided to recored all tapes through rca cables. However, DVD Recorder was not recording DVD at all.

It was first humbug of the year 2013 to me. Thanks to seller he also did not respong when I tried to reach him.

And today, before buying this Genuine Sony FireWire cable, I ordered another (better but not best) FireWire cable and waiting for it.

When I receive, I will try it with same camcorder to see if problem is on the cable or camcorder.

I also will order order Genuine FireWire cable just in case if these camcorders really does not work without Genuine cable.

ALONG WITH THESE, thinking problem could be on the FireWire port on camcorder, I also ordered new Digital8 camcorder today (TRV330)

If FireWire connection is broken on the item that I have, new item could help me. I will inform about updated news.

Thanks to all who tried to help me.

• 13. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                                  cvid01 Level 4

Instead of buying another camera, you might want to get a converter like the Grass Valley ADVC110 (http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc110). I have an earlier version of it and use it to capture Hi-8 tapes, VHS, V8 tapes, etc. by hooking up through RCA cables, then connecting the 110 via Firewire to the computer. I have done over a 100 analogue tapes via this method. Part of the advantage, is that the converter digitizes and stabilizes the analogue picture before it is sent to the computer via the Firewire. Of course, your computer requires a Firewore port as well.

• 14. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                                    reachist Level 1

Thank you for help.

I actually did not know there was way to convert analog videos through rca cables. Does this gives good result?

When you compare with the actualy quality in the tape, how is the quality scale from 1 to 10?

Can you give me any idea please. Since you have experience that will help me.

My second question, instead of ADVC110 will the model ADVC100 works as well which is cheaper?

Thank you.

• 15. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                                      cvid01 Level 4

I actually use an older v ersion - Canopus ADVC 300 - and results are quite good. The newer comparable, I expect, is the Grass Valley ADVC 110. Quality is as good as copying a video tape to another tape, if not better. It is quite stable, because of a built-in time base corrector, or something like it. You might be able to obtain the Canopus ADVC 300 over e-bay, but the GV ADVC 110 looks like the old ADVC 300. The ADVC 100 you talk about is probably the old Canopus ADVC 100, which is not as good as the 300. I would opt for the new ADVC 110, or the older ADVC 300 that may be available on e-bay.

• 16. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                                        dtwo@centurylink.net

I have a device made by ADS called pyro A/V link.  It has red, white, and yellow RCA plug input and a firewire output.    I used it for copying about 80 Hi-8 tapes into my desktop.   I used PP in the capture mode.   I have an older unit, however I see the new unit listed on Amazon for about $35.   I paid $100 for mine.  It was worth every penny for the time it saved in in capturing those tapes.   Before you buy it, check out the specs to make sure the firewire output on the back is compatable with your laptop.   You will have to go to the ADS website to verify everything.  

Simple to set up.   Just plug in all the wires, Press F5 after you set up PP.   When you see the captured picture, press F5.  Depending upon the features of your Hi-8 camera, you may not have the time recorded.   If not, you will have to stop so often and re-start so you can have a new clip.   If you have a recent camera, and the time is recorded, this will not be a problem as PP will generate new clips for you.    I had both kinds of cameras to deal with.  

Duane

• 17. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?

I suggest you get a second hand Sony dcr trv 310 like you have now or a similar D8 camera that can play Hi-8 tapes.

Your camera connect straight to the pc. The camera is the converter. Imo no need to go for a GrassValley if its just for the Hi-8 tapes

RCA cable give you less quality then over firewire.

• 18. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                                            cvid01 Level 4

I used to use a Sony TRV 330 with connections to PPro via Firewire. While the analogue tapes captured, the stability of the capture leaved something to desire. Hence, I purchased the Grass Valley converter, the cost of which is about the same as a new camera. I found the converter able to provide a more stable digital video for PrPro. Just one person's experience.

• 19. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?

I still have a 210 and never experienced faulty captures.

• 20. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                                                reachist Level 1

Lots of people having this problem, I dont know why they dont produce simple device to make people convert their old tapes in digital form.

Anyway, as I said, I am tired of this problem.

I purchased new fireware cable just thinking if my cable is broken.

I also purchased original sony fireware cable.

Because someone said sony digital8 does not work without original cable.

Along with these, I also purchased new digital8 trv330 which is higher model then what I have.

Now, I am waiting to have all these stuff. I will try them one by one.

Then I will inform you how thing goes. If I still can not do it?

Yes, I definately will purchase Grass Valley.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help with their opinion.

• 21. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                                                  SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

The 1394 driver installed for Windows 7 doesn't recognize all devices. I don't have the exact steps available, but if you know your way around "Device Manager" at all, go to "1394" and "Update Driver" and choose the option to "Select from list" and you should see 3 options available. Try "Legacy" and see what happens. Try all 3, you can always switch back and forth, nothing lost.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 22. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                                                    reachist Level 1

Finally Finally Finally. Happy Ennding. I started record my tapes to my laptop.

I will write details tomorrow.

By the way, my son born on January 9th

See you.

• 23. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                                                      h2ofun Level 1

I have used this same type of camera and could not get the firewire to work. Had to go into the menu setup and enable firewire output from analog input.  I also use windv to capture all my HI 8 tapes

onto my computer.

• 24. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                                                        Stephen_Spider Level 3

To his health.... and the mum's recovery. Bravo!

• 25. Re: How to record my hi-8 tapes from camcorder to laptop?
                                                          reachist Level 1

Thank you all.

First of all, I ordered new camcaorder, new regular firewire cable and new original genuine sony firewire cable just in case.

All of my ordered was arrived when we discharged from hospital on Friday.

I first tried regular firewire cable with my CURRENT CAMCORDER. My laptop recognized it.

Its mean, firewire port of my laptop was ok (I was going to order laptop as well but I have 6pin Dell, will try soon)

Firewire port of the camcorder was also ok since the new cable worked.

Then I tried genuine sony firewire cable, that also worked in second.

I tried both cables with the new purchased camcorder (actually old) which is 1 step higher model.

Both cable worked on that camcorder and camcorder worked as well.

So, now I have two recording set and I will keep them for sure.

Next step was recording my 9 hi-8 tapes. I tried about 5-6 different programs.

All worked but some of them was not perfect. I used AMCap and My Screen Cam to record.

They both recorded my taped to computer. But the sound was bad and I did not like video quality.

Then I used Windows Movie maker which also was recognizing my camcorder.

Quality was better but it was not enough. I recorded these tapes 5 years ago to the VCD (anyone familiar name)

VCD was a movie format before DVDs, so movie maker's recording quality seemed as VCD to me.

Or, if you connect your camcorder to TV with RCA cables (red, white, yellow) quality is like that.

What I know is that, quality on the tapes is digital and it should be better on tv if you can connect directly right?

I mean, instead of RCA cables, if I were be able to connect camcorder to tv with firewire, I could see better quality?

By the way, my new tv channel box is DCX700-M (Motorola) This box has firewire port behind it.

However, its not 4 pin but its 6 pin. My new cable 4to6 is on the way and I will try it when I receive.

Then I tried Ulead Video Studio, Pinnacle Studio, OnLocation and Premiere Pro. (Trial)

They were better. But quality seemed to me still weak. First of all, they all records with 720X480

I do not have space problem but I still could not find way to save them in hd like 1920x1080

I recorded all 9 tapes to my externel hdd (2TB) longest tape has 4 hours video and shortest has 29 minutes.

They all took about 170GB space which Im ok. I first recorded shortest one to laptop hdd directly

My laptop is specifications: HP Elitebook 2760P i5 - 4GB Ram, i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs)

(For Expert I stated my detailed system information below)

Then I recorded that shortest video directly to the External HDD (Uses USB 3.0)

I checked video quality and there was no difference, so I setup camcorder to my laptop.

And recorded all taped to External HDD through usb 3.0 . All video seems as vcd or like I connect to tv through rca.

I have two other Dell laptop system which has 6pin firewire (My 4to6pin cable is on the way)

XPS L501X and L502X i7-2720QM 8GB GT540M 640GB 7200 Rpm 1080p 2GB NVIDIA Blu-ray

My questions are

1. If I record these tapes through below better Dell System, quality will chance?

2. What is best program that I can record tapes in hdv format instead of dv. (I want 1920x1080 if possible)

3. What is real quality of the video in these hi-8 tapes. Will it looks better on my lcd if I can connect with firewire?

4. My latest recording (even through usb 3.0) seems fair. Like VCD quality. Like you connect to tv with rca cables.

So, is this best thing I could do with these tapes?

Thanks in advance for your patient.

Regards.

System Information

-----------------

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 4006MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4006MB RAM

Page File: 2649MB used, 5361MB available

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0126&SUBSYS_162A103C&REV_09

Display Memory: 1696 MB

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

Shared Memory: 1632 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (40Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: SEC5741

Native Mode: 1280 x 800(p) (59.976Hz)

Output Type: Internal