17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2013 9:58 AM by AutoApp_Jords

Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )

AutoApp_Jords

Hi friends, family, dudes, dudettes,

Simple question today that has got me all sorts of :/'d... is there a hotkey available for the zoom button? Please see the attached image:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 12.40.27 AM.png (Green button is zoom button)

I would go into a long ramble about how I have tried everything from scouring through the Keyboard Shortcuts lists to trying to make a Automator script to do this action, but alas, I have come to no avail.

Fried shrimp to whomever throws me a bone here.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f3fTVkavMVg/SXc0pkH-CQI/AAAAAAAAA2g/zofP4s_jQg0/s400/dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

• 1. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
          groove25 Level 4

My apologies if I'm misunderstanding the question. There are a number of zoom shortcuts available in the View menu, particularly under View > Magnification. Then there are the View modes at the bottom of the Toolbar: Standard Screen, Full Screen with Menus, and Full Screen—which can be toggled with the letter "F".

• 2. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
            AutoApp_Jords Level 1

Hey there Groove, (and congratulations on reaching 666 posts?)

Thanks for the quick reply, but unfortunately my question was a little more particular in scope. While I understand that we can toggle through three different "views" with the 'F' key, those being:

1) Standard:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 9.40.09 AM.png

2) Document Tabs Hidden:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 9.40.14 AM.png

3) Full Screen:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 9.40.16 AM.png

(Please forgive me if I am incorrect with any the above view layout nomenclature)

I am looking to "Zoom" the window in the standard view. This is done with the green button in the top left of the window:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 9.45.14 AM.png

This is my problem, laid out in detail:

I have a 15" MacBook and Fireworks opens to a size that is *just* smaller than what I need, working with screens that have a dimension of 1024x762. So any images I am opening are shown at either 95% or 97%. Easy enough to hit command-1 and bring them up to 100%; what is a pain though, and what I am looking for a hotkey command for, is to zoom my window. I will take you through the problem here:

1) Fireworks opens with a thin strip of available space at the bottom on the screen, seen in a dry-grass color:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 9.47.08 AM.png

2) I (manually) press the green zoom button, to take advantage of the strip of available screen:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 9.47.13 AM.png

3) I take my size of canvas up to 100% (from 95%):

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 9.47.21 AM.png

4) At this point everything is just as I want it... full screen with 100% scaling. Now if I open a new document...

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 9.48.13 AM.png

(Above) Without any concent on my behalf, Fireworks scales the window back down to have the strip at the bottom, and the scale is set to reflect this... at 95%. 

:/

So, again, I know this is a small thing, but it's the one I am seeking an answer to. If I could find the correspsonding hotkey to, in OSX terms, 'Zoom' the window, or toggle the green button, I would be set. Hotkey Zoom, Hotkey Scale to 100%, bingo. But, I can't find any corresponding Zoom hotkey in Fireworks. Here is what is looks like across all my other Mac Applications:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 9.58.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 9.59.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 9.59.30 AM.png

But Fireworks unfortunately does not respond to shift-command-P has this for Window options:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 9.59.53 AM.png

...and I fear I am out of luck: When I do a search for Zoom in Help while in Fireworks:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 10.00.10 AM.png

Which we know to be just zooming in and out of the image, not the OSX Zoom.

Unfortunately Adobe/Fireworks is not respecting a certain set of standards which are in place to keep a layer of consistancy across the platform with this one. I understand that there are A LOT of hotkeys in Adobe's suite of design apps, but not respecting the system is akin to putting oneself above the law; gansters are not good for society.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9jslbnwAw1qh1eaeo1_500.jpg

Here's our lovely lady GitHub respecting the game:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 10.14.06 AM.png

And Microsoft's Skype for some reason is hip to the standards:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 10.14.35 AM.png

Wait... what's this... even Quicken QuickBooks 2009 knows what's up?:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 10.14.55 AM.png

I'll end on that one. Quickbooks man.

• 3. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
              groove25 Level 4

Wow, thanks for this explanation.

I actually thought you were using Windows at first, because I didn't recognize the term "hotkey" or the green "zoom" button—mine's a steely blue-grey (an Appearance option that tries to minimize color in the interface, which I'd long since forgotten about). With that in mind, I was going to suggest that this might be a function of the operating system, and ask how is it handled in the other applications—but you've already answered that.

I can see where searching on "zoom" might lead to blind alleys. In my mind, that button's not a "zoom" button, but you're correct in your terminology. I did a Google search for "Mac document window buttons" and came up with some terms like "maximize" and "minimize", which is how I think of it.

Andy Clarke occasionally writes good posts on the subject of Fireworks; in one that I read not long ago, he mentioned that Fireworks is still written using the Carbon framework, not Cocoa—which I guess is the foundation of OSX. You can't offer a full breadth of contemporary features specifically related to an operating system, if you don't update to the framework used by the operating system. It'd be like an iOS developer steadfastly sticking to iOSv2 or something. Anyway, I can't be sure, but this could be why you don't see a command/shortcut for this. Take that speculation for what it's worth, I guess.

Would Window > Use Application Frame be any benefit to you?

• 4. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
                AutoApp_Jords Level 1

Hey Groove,

Glad we are getting a rhetoric going and that we are on the same page. I originally thought of the terms as maximize and minimize, but I believe that comes from a windows background as Mac OS seems to have replaced "Maximize" with 'Zoom'; the difference being that the Zoom feature is supposed to be smart and not necessarily take up the entire screen. For more on this please see this post: Here.

(Isn't it interesting how the Minimize button is included in Fireworks)

So Window > Use Application Frame was something I experimented with but rather takes up additional screen space. Great insight into Firework's origin on Carbon framework vs. Cocoa. It really does provide some massive insights and would answer many peoples questions certain Fireworks limitations. It does seem to address my question, to a degree.

Here's an interesting aside:

I have been trying to come up with Automator scripts to do this type of task for me. As there is no hotkey for it, I was experimenting with the 'Record' feature (where it watches your UI steps and reenacts them when the script is called)... but it seemed like it could not work inside Fireworks, although the same steps worked in other appcations.... I bet this is another Cocoa vs. Carbon point.

Thank you for your insight. If you come across anything additional please don't hesitate to post me up.

• 5. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
                  groove25 Level 4

Yeah, if you can create an Automator script, you could access it from Fireworks > Services. I have a script called Clear Clipboard, but it's been long enough that I don't remember how it was created, etc. I don't know if you can assign a shortcut or hotkey to a script in that location, though; if it were possible, I think it might have to happen at the operating system level.

You may also be able to find an AppleScript for it online, as it might be a simple command.

Do any of the Adobe apps offer this feature?

This was a good review for me, as I'd pretty much forgotton about Fireworks' View modes. In addition, I hadn't realized that one can use an Application Frame with a floating window to provide another way to toggle quickly between a document-window-with-panels view and a full-screen view via the "zoom" button. (Without the Application Frame, an extra step of hiding the panels is required.) Incidentally, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Fireworks screen without panels surrounding it in Standard view mode, as in your screenshots: Is that how you regularly work? (I suppose using a second monitor?)

• 6. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
                    groove25 Level 4

Hey, it is possible to add a keyboard shortcut to a Service on the Mac OS:

http://lifehacker.com/343328/create-a-keyboard-shortcut-for-any-menu-action-in-any-program

Also, I don't know if this works or not, but here's one person's AppleScript for triggering the "zoom" button:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20051227001809626

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
                      AutoApp_Jords Level 1

Hopping on this right meow to try it out!!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KbwSPQqkRF4/TsQ9qHzD5aI/AAAAAAAACzk/9X2GBaMRlLk/s1600/Super+Troopers+7.jpg

• 8. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
                        AutoApp_Jords Level 1

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20051227001809626

The AppleScript:

tell application "System Events"
                          if UI elements enabled then
                            set FrontApplication to (get name of every process whose frontmost is true) as string
                            tell process FrontApplication
                              click button 2 of window 1
                              --button 2 is the green "zoom" button for all applications
                              --window 1 is always the frontmost window.
                            end tell
                          else
                            tell application "System Preferences"
                              activate
                              set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.universalaccess"
                              display dialog "UI element scripting is not enabled. Check 'Enable access for assistive devices'"
                            end tell
                          end if
                        end tell

works like a charm. Can't thank you enough mate.

Here's a quick screen recap:

Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 2.45.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 2.45.21 AM.png

• 9. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
                          AutoApp_Jords Level 1

Incidentally, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Fireworks screen without panels surrounding it in Standard view mode, as in your screenshots: Is that how you regularly work? (I suppose using a second monitor?)

Well, kind of is the answer! I use a second monitor some of the time, but with the 15" display I like to take advantage of hiding and showing the panels by pressing Tab... here's a screen shot show:

Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 2.51.24 AM.png

Press Tab, Panels hide:

Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 2.51.26 AM.png

• 10. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
                            AutoApp_Jords Level 1

Well... sorry to say but it didn't work. I tried three different scripts and unfortuantely all failed, although they worked in other applications. One was even kind enough to report that it was sorry, but could not figure out to how to zoom/maximize the window!

Take a peek:

Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 3.42.48 AM.png

Here are the three scripts I used... some basic, some pretty exhaustive:

1:

if UI elements enabled then

set FrontApplication to (get name of every process whose frontmost is true) as string

tell process FrontApplication

--button 2 is the green "zoom" button for all applications

--window 1 is always the frontmost window.

end tell

else

activate

display dialog "UI element scripting is not enabled. Check 'Enable access for assistive devices'"

end tell

end if

end tell

2:

-- A script to automatically zoom the frontmost window.

-- © 2006 by Daniel Jalkut, Inspired by:

--

-- http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051227001809626&lsrc=osxh

--

set frontAppName to name of first application process whose frontmost is true

end tell

set tryZoomedAttribute to true

set tryMenuScripting to false

set tryButtonScripting to false

set allMethodsFailed to false

-- Special cases. For Applications whose behavior we know responds to one or the other

-- method, force that method here.

if (frontAppName is equal to "iTunes") then

set tryZoomedAttribute to false

set tryMenuScripting to true

end if

if (tryZoomedAttribute is equal to true) then

tell application frontAppName

try

set zoomed of window 1 to not (zoomed of window 1)

on error

set tryMenuScripting to true

end try

end tell

end if

-- Make sure the user has UI scripting enabled before we go on...

if ((tryMenuScripting is equal to true) or (tryButtonScripting is equal to true)) then

if UI elements enabled is false then

activate

end tell

end if

end tell

end if

if (tryMenuScripting is equal to true) then

tell process frontAppName

try

click menu item "Zoom" of menu of menu bar item "Window" of menu bar 1

on error

set tryButtonScripting to true

end try

end tell

end tell

end if

if (tryButtonScripting is equal to true) then

-- UI Scripting method:

try

tell process frontAppName

end tell

on error

set allMethodsFailed to true

end try

end tell

end if

if (allMethodsFailed is equal to true) then

display dialog "I'm sorry, I couldn't figure out how to zoom this window."

end if

3:

# get size of display

# see http://daringfireball.net/2006/12/display_size_applescript_the_lazy_way

# note: won't work with multiple monitors, so just remove & set manually, i.e.

#                     "set display_y_size to 756"

#                     "set display_x_size to 1280"

tell application "Finder"

set _b to bounds of window of desktop

set display_x_size to item 3 of _b

set display_y_size to item 4 of _b

set display_y_size to (display_y_size - 40)

end tell

set cur_app to (path to frontmost application as Unicode text)

if cur_app ends with ":Finder.app:" then

set Finder to true

tell application "Finder"

set tool_vis to toolbar visible of front window

end tell

else

set Finder to false

end if

tell application cur_app

tell front window

set {x1, y1, x2, y2} to (get bounds)

--                    set win_height to (y2 - y1)

--                    set win_width to (x2 - x1)

if Finder then

set y1 to 43

set y2 to display_y_size

set x2 to display_x_size

set x1 to 0

else

set y1 to 0

set y2 to display_y_size

set x2 to display_x_size

set x1 to 0

end if

set bounds to {x1, y1, x2, y2}

end tell

end tell

• 11. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
                              groove25 Level 4

I tried some of the same scripts (though not the one from DaringFireball.net) and a few shorter ones—and also tried substituting the actual name of the application, just to be very specific, but didn't have any better luck.

Incidentally, I knew about the use of the Tab key to hide panels, but have typically used it in a sequence like this: 1) Hide panels, 2) Zoom/maximize window. In other words, it's never occurred to me to use a maximized window as a "base" view, and then hide and show panels. But I like how it emphasizes the work and not the tools. In fact, I've decided to finally switch to Iconic Mode for my workspace; I'd been sticking with Expanded Mode as a holdover from CS2 days.

Something cool I just discovered about hidden panels and working in Full Screen views is that moving one's cursor to the edge of the screen will reveal the hidden panels temporarily. And, of course, you can use the Tab key in these views as well—in fact, I think the only thing you lose in Full Screen views is the title bar and document tabs.

Anyway, I was wondering if a saved Workspace might include the "zoom" state of the document window—but it doesn't seem to, unfortunately. Otherwise, if there were a way to tap into the document window size via the Fireworks DOM, then you could create a command to handle this and assign it a shortcut, but I'm not finding an option for that either.

• 12. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
                                groove25 Level 4

Actually, the AppleScript approach may be do-able after all: The key is in realizing that the document window isn't the only window in use within Fireworks, and isn't necessarily "window 1". Not as crucial, but very much worth noting, is that the "zoom" button seems to be button 1, not button 2 (on my operating system, anyway).

As a result, I was able to get the original script to work using "click button 1 of window 2" in place of the existing instructions. (Though it's not strictly necessary, I also removed the second half of the script, which involves System Preferences that I already have set appropriately.)

If you stick with the numbered window approach, the resulting script may not work in other applications—but might perhaps work in other Adobe applications (?). As such, you'd probably want to name the script accordingly, something like "FW toggleZoom" or "Adobe windowZoom".

Once you've got the script working, you can create a Service out of it—using Automator, I think—and place it in ~/Library/Services. Then you can use System Preferences > Keyboard to assign it a keyboard shortcut.

• 13. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
                                  AutoApp_Jords Level 1

What I find interesting is that I have to have my Tools hidden in order for it to work.

More to come.

• 14. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
                                    groove25 Level 4

At this point, I'm not sure about the Automator aspect of this, but apparently, you could instead opt to assign a keyboard shortcut directly to a script based on its location within the AppleScript menu:

http://macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2007/06/08/hit-and-run-launching-applescripts-with-keybo ard-shortcuts.html?page=2

(And if the AppleScript menu is not already visible within your Finder menu, you can enable it via the Preferences of the AppleScript Editor utility.)

• 15. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
                                      groove25 Level 4

Let me know if you succeed in getting this working to your satisfaction.

I find that the AppleScript works reliably, given the previously mentioned modification ("click button 1 of window 2"). Placing it in the ~/Library/Scripts folder makes it accessible from the AppleScript menu in the Finder, available within Fireworks. However, I've been unable to successfully assign a shortcut to the script—that is, I can assign it a shortcut, but the shortcut doesn't appear within the AppleScript menu and doesn't work.

I've also got a few other issues with its performance:

1) Running the script causes the entire Fireworks panel interface to be redrawn, an effect that I find disruptive and disquieting.

2) The zoom state of the document window seems to be recorded, and other FW panels affect resizing. These two factors combined make it challenging to return to a Standard view with panels—requiring multiple "clicks" or command firings.

In my limited experience, Services seem to integrate more smoothly with applications than do AppleScripts; therefore, converting the script to a Service would possibly take care of my first complaint. However, when I attempt this conversion (opening Automator, starting a new Service, choosing 'Run AppleScript' from the Library, pasting in the script contents, specifying 'no input' in 'any application', and then saving), the resulting Service fails in Fireworks, producing an error message.

When it comes to Automator, I'm an absolute beginner. I have a hard time understanding and navigating its interface, and I have no clue what's wrong with the Service.

All in all, I think it's neat to have an AppleScript that can toggle the Zoom button in Fireworks, but it's not particularly useful by itself.

• 16. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
                                        groove25 Level 4

BTW, I know I mentioned this option earlier, but I'm now convinced that Window > Use Application Frame may be the simplest and smoothest way to work with a full screen document window. Using the Tab key to hide/show panels, all it takes is a single keystroke to alernate between states.

• 17. Re: Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )
                                          AutoApp_Jords Level 1

Hey Groove, Sorry for the delay on a response here, has been a busy couple of weeks.

I have just continued to use the same method that I had prior. Not the end of the world for a couple extra clicks, but it's an area that I will definitely address in a feature request:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Feel free to add this if you feel it is silly that it's not part of the out-of-the-box / standard options.

Hope this finds you well, and thanks for cruising through some options with me.