5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2013 6:17 AM by Royi A

Adobe Standard Profile for D800 vs D700

b2martin_a Level 2

Adobe Standard profile for the D800 appears to be a better color match to the Camera profiles for the D800 than Adobe Standard for the D700 color match to it's Camera profiles.  I notice that the D800 Adobe Standard Profile is a larger files (118KB) than the D700 Adobe Standard Profile (55KB), so it apparently uses an updated profile.  I have not used the  Adobe Standard profile for the D700 because it's colors appear to be wrong, but the D800 Adobe Standard profile does not appear to have this issue.

Any comments?

• 1. Re: Adobe Standard Profile for D800 vs D700
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is my understanding that the Adobe attempts to create camera matching profiles that are as accurate as possible based on some standardized settings or requirements. Individual cameras may very, shooting styles may vary, so it's not always feasible to rely 100% on a stock camera profile. Sometimes it's necessary to make modifications and even save new camera defaults in order to get the results you are looking for. I'm using older cameras, the D40 and the D90. I use the profiles provided, but I have also created my own default settings for both cameras in order to expedite my postprocessing.

• 2. Re: Adobe Standard Profile for D800 vs D700
            b2martin_a Level 2

Jim, I have generated many profiles for both my D200 and now D700 using both Adobe's DNG Profile Editor and X-Rite Passport software.  I have also evaluated the match between Adobe's Camera profiles and what you get using Nikon Capture NX2 by processing the same NEF files with both.  Adobe's Camera profiles (v4) for the D700 are an excellent match to Nikon profiles, but the Adobe Standard for the D700 is not even close to the Nikon colors.  I downloaded several D800 NEF files and converted these using Photoshop CS6 ACR7.3 and found the Adobe Standard Profile for the   D800 was much closer to the Nikon Profiles color wise than with the D700.  That's what prompted my question. 

• 3. Re: Adobe Standard Profile for D800 vs D700
              Vit Novak Level 3

Ther are following differences:

- D700 profile has the same forward matrix for both tungsten and daylight. D800 profile has different matrices, which means it is true dual-illuminant

- D700 profile has different lookup table which does some rendering (so actually this one is more similar to camera profiles), while lookup table in D800 has minimal impact to colors

- D800 profile has additional HueSatVal lookup tables for both illuminants, helping to calibrate colors more preceisely. That's why the size difference

However, Adobe didn't aim to get Nikon colors, they are calibrating their profiles to give similar output for various cameras.

• 4. Re: Adobe Standard Profile for D800 vs D700
                b2martin_a Level 2

Vit, thanks for the input.  I consider the colors for the D700 Adobe Standard Profile are just wrong, so I don't use it - maybe it would be better if it were a dual -illuminant profile.  I don't understand what Adobe's criteria is for the Adobe Standard profile.  I am using the Camera Neutral profile (v4) with a custom tone curve as my default profile. 

• 5. Re: Adobe Standard Profile for D800 vs D700
                  Royi A Level 1

Vit,

What would be the best way getting Nikon's colors on different camera (Let's Say Olympus)?

Thanks.