9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2013 8:12 PM by jmichae1 RSS

unable to install master collection CS5's Pr cs4

jmichae1 Community Member

it just errors out. I had mostly deleted the previouis install of adobe master collection cs5 on C: and most of windows there to save space - thsat os would not boot anymore.

now there are hidden files left over on c: from previous install of adobe. my new windows install is on E:, to spare my data.

I finally got cs to install on E: successfully. but unlike my precious install of adobe,now the 32-bit edition of Premiere pro and ae (cs4) on the content disc won't install.

I have some video to unshake, would liketo get it done with AE - forgot what that was called,(am sure it's in help somewhere, so will dig).

[I just noticed my recent install of cs5 installed to BOTH C: and E:. ]

• 1. Re: unable to install master collection CS5's Pr cs4
          shooternz Community Member

You obviously have a system /hardware mess that needs sorting before trying to install anything.

What advice are you after?

• 2. Re: unable to install master collection CS5's Pr cs4
            Harm Millaard Community Member

Reformat your boot disk and install OS & programs completely from scratch.

• 3. Re: unable to install master collection CS5's Pr cs4

I have a fresh installation of windows I am working with on E:, I think I submitted an adobe bug report about this when I discovered the problem. is there a later version of the discs which do not have this problem of hard-coding the install drive to C: in some but not all areas of the installer? if so,what version of the boxed discs set replacement should I order from a reseller that has the fix?  are there some sort of label markings I should tell the reseller that I need? I write installers all the time and my own programs, so I know how todo this kind of thiing right (took me a while too), although I probably use a different installer than adobe does, so the code is completely different.

the CS5 installer I have has a bug. unless I can get a replacement disc set, it appears my only recourse with this broken product is to hope that an upgrade to cs6 or cs7 fixes it. - to the tune of $800-$2800. I have some videos I need to fix.

Either Adobe software does something to some of its files so they can't be deleted as long as the OS is up - although, this could have simply been due to filesystem corruption, C:\windows was in bad shape and so was adobe on that drive. sometimes not even booting a linux livecd to delete so windows isn't running would not delete some files. even reinstalling windows on another drive and booting that would not allow the fies to be deleted. I had a tough time with cs5 reinstallation, but I got it done. only thing that would not reinstall was 32-bit pr and ae on the content disc.

those installed before, but not now, and the content disc installer simply gives a fatal error, and I don't know why this is, nor do I know where the log file is to see what exactly went wrong.

I have since switched from mcafee to norton, as I heard this can be a firewall issue with the adobe license thingy. maybe I will have better luck now, may just try again. :-)

I have started recommending that anyone who has hard disks and wants to keep their data should get http://grc.com 's spinrite and run it every 3 months. they use it on servers, so why not on desktops? $89 for peace of mind and hopefully no more windows reinstalls... steve gibson says it fixes most pc problems. most of them are caused by growing bad hard disk areas. this program does not apply to SSD's.

this problems I was having with C: were probably due to growing bad blocks... system was running for 2 years.

any tips appreciated.

• 4. Re: unable to install master collection CS5's Pr cs4

please let me help explain what the installer did. some files installed to e:\program files\adobe\ where they should be.

some  files installed to c:\program files\common files\adobe\ where they should NOT be. this was done by the installer. not me. I checked this after installation to be sure the installer was doing its job right. it wasn't.

seems like my life is spend finding and fixing bugs in other people's programs (and in my own too), and submitting bug reports for same.

maybe it will mean one less problem for a lot of other people if it gets fixed... got started as a software beta tester 20 years ago in order to get free product.

some nice predevined environment variables are available which are available to the installer to use in filepaths are:

%ProgramFiles%

%CommonProgramFiles%

and usually these are available as internal constants of some sort.

• 5. Re: unable to install master collection CS5's Pr cs4

Heres a tip

Installing as Adobe designed never caused me any issues in any iteration of Premiere or the suite and I have had all of them.....and as far as I know from this forum...never caused issues to anyone else.

Bad blocks drive c: ...get a new drive.

it appears my only recourse with this broken product is to hope that an upgrade to cs6 or cs7 fixes it. - to the tune of $800-$2800. I have some videos I need to fix.

Its not broken.  You have broken your system

• 6. Re: unable to install master collection CS5's Pr cs4
                    Harm Millaard Community Member

The Adobe Installer is the prodigal child in the suite. It is definitely from a previous era and has not kept up with other developments, it is just outdated and ill suited for the task.

That is just a fact of life. You can complain about it, as I did many times, but there is a sheer reluctance on Adobe's side to do anything about it. Have you noticed in how many languages EULA's in how many different locations are installed? If amounts to far over 2000 files replicated all over the place...

The only suggestion I have is to use the C: drive to install the OS and the programs, using the defaults that the silly installer wants to use.

• 7. Re: unable to install master collection CS5's Pr cs4

one of the things I have learned as a software developer is if you install windows on anything other than C:, software tends to break. I was cautious about this. or maybe a bit fuzzy because I haven't done it for years (because of that very reason). in either case, I remember now... :-(  yeah, it's up to the software developer to figure out how to code it right, and the learning process can be difficult,and he's pretty much on his own when it comes to help (maybe some forums if he thinks of it)...

been there, done that. it's hard. but once you get it, it's great, you can make even better and more flexible software.

I might try a little more to see if some later versions of the disc set are avaiilable - I could use the built-in updates if I can get it - never thought before of even asking. found out the discs are discontinued, might still be sitting in a shop somewhere...

• 8. Re: unable to install master collection CS5's Pr cs4

Why do you think there is a difference between discs and download versions?

What discs of what Premiere version(s) do you own?

• 9. Re: unable to install master collection CS5's Pr cs4

because support (india) said so. maybe I shouldn't believe them?

I have master collection cs5.