10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2013 3:12 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere 9 crash - video driver issue

Rocool82

Hi everyone,

I'm using PrE9 and everything was fine until afew days ago, the software would take longer than usual to render and finally crash at 97 -  98%. Yesterday the software displayed an error message when i open a project

Sans titre.png

I tried to update my display driver, remove and reinstall, still it always shows it, and causes PrE to crash during editing. Is it possible that the version 9 is no longer compatible with the lastest Nvidia drivers ?

• 1. Re: Premiere 9 crash - video driver issue
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What happened when you downloaded and installed the latest driver for your card and OS, from nVidia - error messages, failure to launch, etc. ?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere 9 crash - video driver issue
            Rocool82 Level 1

Well the install went perfectly well, when i try a manual update from the control panl, it says that the driver is up to date ...

Tried updates for PrE but it tells me the same thing ...  got no clue whatsoever on that one :/

Sans titre2.png

• 3. Re: Premiere 9 crash - video driver issue
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, that screen is saying that your Adobe programs are up to date, and it does not survey your system's drivers.

You have the nVidia GeForce GT 430. What is your OS, and what is the version of the installed driver - both version number and date?

Do you have a Dell, HP, Lenovo, or similar large corporation computer? Many will re-write the nVidia drivers to optimize them for their version of the OS, and hardware.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere 9 crash - video driver issue
                Rocool82 Level 1

I have windows 7, driver's version is 9.18.13.1090 from 29 dec. 2012.

It's a PC that I bought custom - built, oriented on video editing. I'm contemplating on reinstalling PrE, would it be of any help ?

• 5. Re: Premiere 9 crash - video driver issue
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for that info.

That looks like it would be the latest driver.

I cannot imagine why PrE would throw a video driver error with that.

I normally try to keep several older versions of my nVidia Quadro drivers around, in case a new one breaks something. Lately, the nVidia drivers seem to have all been good, but a couple of years ago, there were two in a row, that introduced some extreme-gaming modules for 3D viewing, and during that time, rolling back to a previous version was the fix. Recently, AMD/ATI has had a couple of their drivers that just did not work with Adobe products.

If you can try a roll-back, to perhaps the driver version right before that one, it might be worth testing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere 9 crash - video driver issue
                    Rocool82 Level 1

Managed to find ll the latest version developments on Nvidia's website, will try a roll back and see how it works ...

Sans titre.png

I'll keep you in the loop !

• 7. Re: Premiere 9 crash - video driver issue
                      JMJarrige Level 2

You could search in this forum on the text 'incompatible display driver', you will find discussions on the topic

and the recommandation of deleting a file named Baddrivers.txt

I had sometimes this message with PREL 9, the solution worked well.

JM

• 8. Re: Premiere 9 crash - video driver issue
                        Rocool82 Level 1

I rolled back up to 5 versions before this one, nothing changed.

Saved my projects and re-installed PrE9, nothing changed.

And then I removed that 1Ko file called "BadDrivers.txt" ... POOOF ... all is well ... If it wasn't for my current projects and hunger to be a better videomaker, I'd probably go hang myself now ...

So topic solved, thank you Bill for the time spent, and thanx JM (pour Jean-Marie je suppose ?) for the fresh insight.

• 9. Re: Premiere 9 crash - video driver issue
                          JMJarrige Level 2

Bien content de voir que cela a marche

For me, as I was faced to this incompatible driver message a few weeks after having installed PREL 9,

and located in the middle of rural France, this forum (and the baddrivers delete solution) gave me the

way to go on, thanks to the US members.

Jean-Marie

• 10. Re: Premiere 9 crash - video driver issue
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

JM,

Thanks for pointing out the BadDrivers.txt file. I had talked about video drivers, but somehow overlooked that important step. Because of your assistance on this thread, I have now added a link to the FAQ Entry, that covers BadDriver.txt, to the Tips & Tricks article on video drivers and display issues.

Greatly appreciated,

Hunt