6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2013 12:40 AM by Alistairscot

Saving dynamic forms in Acrobat Reader

Alistairscot Level 1

How do you create PDF dynamic forms and save them so that they can be completed and saved  in Acrobat Reader.

• 1. Re: Saving dynamic forms in Acrobat Reader
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Does this question have anything to do with FormsCentral? When you say dynamic forms, do you mean dynamic XFA forms created with LiveCycle Designer?

• 2. Re: Saving dynamic forms in Acrobat Reader
            Alistairscot Level 1

Created a dynamic form in Livecycle and tried to enable it in Acrobat XI Pro for Acrobat Reader. Does not save input file. Was wondering if dynamic Forms created in Adobe Forms Central could be enabled for saving in Acrobat Reader; never used this service.

• 3. Re: Saving dynamic forms in Acrobat Reader

FormsCentral doesn't create the same type of forms as LiveCycle Designer does. It can export as a PDF form, but this is an Acroform, the type that you can create in Acrobat. PDF forms that are created by FormsCentral are Reader-enabled.

I'm interested in why you couldn't get Acrobat 11 to enable a form since it is not a problem I've heard about before. What are the exact steps you took when you tried?

• 4. Re: Saving dynamic forms in Acrobat Reader
                Alistairscot Level 1

First time using Designer 10 (which is Livecycle ES3 - I believe). Saved the file as a dynamic form in Designer 10. Opened Acrobat XI Pro and then saved as other, enabling for Acrobat Reader. When open in Reader does not save changes.

Want to learn about Livecycle. Am finding it hard going in getting into it. Worried now that I cannot save dynamic forms for reader enabling without buying some other Adobe Livecycle add on product.

Do not know if the following has any relevance. Bought Livecycle ES3 as a Acrobat X Pro purchasable upgrade for £23, but received Designer 10. Then bought Arobat XI Pro and received Livecycle ES3 as a free upgrade. Still have Designer 10 installed. Not sure about any differences in these products.

• 5. Re: Saving dynamic forms in Acrobat Reader

Here is the specific Acrobat 11 menu item yo should use: File > Save as Other > Reader Extended PDF > Enable More Tools (includes form fill-in & save)...

I just tested with a dynamic form and it works for me. You do not need any other software and the version of LiveCycle Designer shouldn't make any difference. In any case, there's a forum here for LiveCycle Designer if you have more questions. If you're still having problems, it would be helpful to see one of the files you're having trouble with.

• 6. Re: Saving dynamic forms in Acrobat Reader
                    Alistairscot Level 1

Thank you very much for your help. As I said this was my first attempt with Livecyle. I had sold the concept of dynamic forms to a collegue and promised to do a dynamic form one for him before going on a winter holiday. Completed the form in a hurry only to find I could not enable users with Acrobat Reader. My worry was that I would not be able to save dynamic forms without additional software, but your helpful comments confirm its something I have done that is causing my issue.

I think Livecycle is a great product, but fragmented information is available for individual users. Bought the Book PDF Forms Using LifeCycle Designer (Acrobat 9) and joined PDFscripting web service which are both good in there own way. I get confused with Adobe's help, not being IT techie and the difference of Enterprise Editions of LifeCycle on how to get the best out of LiveCycle.

Many thanks George for you assistance, I will retry when I return from my winter break.