8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2013 6:13 PM by Steve Grisetti

Premerie Elements 11 and  NEX 6 Video: Bad aliasing with imported footage

Nex Hardi

Hi,

with all my Sony NEX 6 AVCHD settings iam unsuccessfull to get good quality video in Premiere Elements 11. Only exception is 1080 50p, that is working with good quality but seams to be an overkill as it eats up SD space and is exhausting the MAC. Interlaced modes are yielding bad aliasing and the 25p mode is missing in the PAL AVCHD section.  The Nex can take full hd 1080 25p but in Adobe settings in the AVCHD section there is no 25p at full hd. That does exist in the DSLR section though, but also this gives aliasing (?).

Iam also puzzled about the setting that reads 1080 25i in APE11 (PAL) and 1080 50i in the Sony NEX. I just assume both are just the same (Sony does count every half frame and Adobe every full frame made of two halfs). 

Iam using an iMAC with AMD Radeon HD 6770M

Anybody is using films from Sony NEX6 in APE11 or has a way out?

Thnks

Hardi

• 1. Re: Premerie Elements 11 and  NEX 6 Video: Bad aliasing with imported footage
          Nex Hardi Level 1

I tested a little more with AVCHD clips done in 1080 50i; 1080 25p and 1080 50p of my Sony NEX 6:

In Adobe Organizer none of above will be imported, always a note shows up that its either wrong format or already existing file (this sure is not).

Premiere import via drag and drop directly from the SD does give a warning (codex not available or something, different from Organizer) but does the import anyway. Imported film does look "aliased" with 50i and 25p footage. Project settings in both cases read 1080 25i. Film does look good with 50p.

Premiere import via "add media, AVCHD camera" does not produce warnings with either setting. Nevertheless, imported film does look "aliased" with 50i and 25p footage. Settings in both cases again are for 1080 25i. Film does look good with 50p and setting is for 50p.

This is driving me crazy. Anyway, seams that I need to do my films in full HD 50p. Not the worst thing that could happen.

• 2. Re: Premerie Elements 11 and  NEX 6 Video: Bad aliasing with imported footage
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

According to the specs for your camera, it can shoot in 1920x1080 60p, 60i and 24p NTSC and, in PAL, 50p, 50i and 24p, all of which are supported in Premiere Elements 11.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=101 51&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666488065&XID=O:sony%20nex6:dg_nex_gglsrch:p&k_id=46cffbb 0-51d6-0a29-43cf-000036d606df#specifications

It's not clear, though, from your post what you're trying to do.

Which format, resolution and frame rate are you shooting at?

And what are you trying to output video for? A DVD or BluRay? YouTube or Vimeo? An iPad or other portable device?

It almost sounds like you're try to create video to put INTO your camcorder! And that's not something Premiere Elements can do.

• 3. Re: Premerie Elements 11 and  NEX 6 Video: Bad aliasing with imported footage
              Nex Hardi Level 1

Steve,

thanks for your reply. Iam preparing for a Safari trip next month. Iam undecided in whtat format to output the video, DVD or MPEG most likely and best quality for watching on the Mac. For now Iam just importing mini clips to see how it works and what the quality is. This is to decide in what format, resulution and frame rate I should take the safari video. Iam particular checking for "jumps" in fast movements, i.e. how smooth the video looks and those "steps" in straight lines that I call (perhaps falsly) aliasing. For this I check the Premiere preview of the imported clips. Perhaps its my bad English, so I try to give my workflow:

1) I do short films (20s) with my NEX6 in those 3 settings 1920x1080 PAL, 50p, 50i and 24p. I make sure there is lot of movement and sharp lines do show up. I do one clip at a time.

2) I take out the SD card (64GB 45Mbits/s) after each individual setting and put it into the iMacs SD slot. Also tried to hook up the NEX via USB cable but no difference noticed.

3) I open finder and go to the private folder of the SD card. In each try there is just one AVCHD clip in.

4) In Organizer I choose import from files and folders and click on that private folder. None of the formats will be imported, always a note shows up that its either wrong format or already existing file (I made sure this is not).

5) In Premiere I can import the privat folder via drag and drop directly from the SD in a new project. This way I let premiere decide what project settings to choose. All formats give a warning (codex not available or something, warning is different from the Organizer one) but it does the import anyway in each case. Imported film does look "aliased" with 50i and 25p footage. Project settings for the two read 1080 25i. The imported film does look good with 50p, correct project setting in this case: 1080 50p.

6) In Premiere I can also import via "add media, AVCHD camera".  Again I do this in new projects for each of the clips. Also here Premiere decides what setting the clip gets. Import does not produce warnings with either clip format. Nevertheless, imported film does look "aliased" with 50i and also 25p clip. Settings in both cases again are 1080 25i (thus Premiere thinks the 25p clips is a 25i). Also here the clip does look very good with 50p and the project setting is for 50p.

Hope this describes it somewhat better.

brgds

Hardi

• 4. Re: Premerie Elements 11 and  NEX 6 Video: Bad aliasing with imported footage

I recommend you shoot in 1920x1080 50i. It's the most efficient way to shoot, in terms of quality and file size.

I'd also recommend you think about what format you're going to ultimately "deliver" your finished movie in. You say "whatever looks best on my Mac" -- but that doesn't tell us much. Are you really only planning to watch the video on your computer? No plans at all to share it with anyone or watch it on a TV? If that's really what ou want, I can make a recommendation. But do think carefully about what you ultimately plan to do with your finished video. Do you really only plan to sit at your computer and watch it?

Finally, I still recommend you do NOT use Finder or the Organizer to get your media from your SD card. I highly recommend you use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Flip or Camera to get the video from your camcorder or card to your computer. There are a number of advantages to doing this.

• 5. Re: Premerie Elements 11 and  NEX 6 Video: Bad aliasing with imported footage
                  Nex Hardi Level 1

Steve again thank you for that advise.

Regarding the video export format for the full film (usually 45 min) I was hoping for something like this:

As I own no BlueRay burner/ player and know they can not handle 1080 p50,  I will export to DVD or perhaps some mpeg format to put on on CD. For this I was hoping I could render a better quality film down to this format to play on TV and other computers. On my Mac I hope I can keep a best quality version for the times, when BlueRay can handle 1080 p50. Iam not sure if this sounds like a plan or is more of a no go (due to rendering times, file size?)....

I would love to follow your advice (found that recommendation before) and use the NEX6 setting for 1080/50i. In the NEX 6 manual it reads correctly MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 high profile 1920 × 1080/50i. However the video does look sufficient in the Premiere preview window. I correct myself: the preview runs smooth but it does have heavily steps in straight lines that I would describe as interline flickers or alaiasing (and Iam not sure if I use the terms correctly). These steps do not show up in pause but do so in both films with panning and fixed to an opject.

I suspect the reason behind is a different codec used. In premiere elements I can open a new project, go to settings then PAL then AVCHD. It has a setting there that reads Full HD 1080i 25. That is the setting Premiere is choosing automatically on imported 1080/50i clips. The two may be just the same -or may differ in high profile or main profile - I have no clue.

Anyway, good to know I should import via Import Media - AVCHD Camera. That is what I did and what at least did not produce an import error. Just the quality is no good with 1080/50i (both 24Mbps and 17Mbps). But it is really good with 1080/50p. Thats why Iam struggeling.

Nevertheless, your posts have helped a lot - thanks for your time.

Hardi

For Google search machine I add these data that I find ineresting to decide what size SD card to buy. I hope customers of the NEX 6 can find it here:

Sony NEX6 Video Minutes that would fill a 64 GB SD card given for each setting:

AVCHD 50i 24M (FX): 375 Min (display comment: would not fit DVD, use blue ray for storage)

AVCHD 50i 17M (FH): 514 Min

AVCHD 50p 28M (PS): 319 Min (display comment: would not fit DVD, use blue ray for storage)

AVCHD 25p 24M (FX): 375 Min (display comment: would not fit DVD, use blue ray for storage)

AVCHD 25p 17M (FH): 514 Min

MP4 1440x1080 12M: 689 Min

M means bit rate in Mbps.

• 6. Re: Premerie Elements 11 and  NEX 6 Video: Bad aliasing with imported footage

My advice: Shoot in FX mode AVCHD 50i.

Ignore the "steps" you see in the Premiere Elements Monitor. They will not be on your computer output.

For video to watch on your computer, use Share/Computer/AVCHD with the MP4 H264 1920x1080 50fps preset. This is a format that is designed to be viewed on a computer.

Since you do not have a BluRay burner, your output to disc will be to DVD, which you can do by using Share/Disc/DVD. Note, however, that DVDs are made to be viewed on a television and may not look so great on your computer (depending on the software you're playing it with). DVD also is less than one-fourth the resolution of high-definition video, so your video will not be nearlty as detailed on your DVD as it is on your computer. It should, nonetheless, look very good on your TV.

• 7. Re: Premerie Elements 11 and  NEX 6 Video: Bad aliasing with imported footage
                      Nex Hardi Level 1

Did it, and it works. Perfect quality. So the preview window does not do the full job.

One more thing. Under Share/Computer/AVCHD a  MP4 H264 1920x1080 50fps preset does not show up. Under Mp4 only p types show up with 24, 25 and 30 fps. So instead I tried MP4 H264 1920x1080p25 and it worked great. I would never have tried to rendering a i50 film in rendered in p25. Also tried M2T H264 1920x1080i25 but could not open this file.

So I hope Iam settled, thank you very much Steve....

• 8. Re: Premerie Elements 11 and  NEX 6 Video: Bad aliasing with imported footage

Sorry. You're right. It is the 25 fps option that you should use.

Glad we could get you up and running!