8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 11:48 AM by Joel Cherney

Right to left/left to right text in the same para?

Harv123

...is this possible using the ME version... I have words of Hebrew within English paragraphs...is it possible to apply this right to left style to the Hebrew, but maintain right to left English?

Many thanks

• 2. Re: Right to left/left to right text in the same para?
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's totally do-able. You do need to decide what direction the paragraph flows in - you can apply a character style, or a local override, that reverses the direction for some of the content. Since you say that you have words of RTL content embedded within an LTR paragraph, a "Hebrew" character style in which you specify the minimum necessary characteristics for correct Hebrew would be easy to set up. (Or you could do it by hand, which I personally find to be annoying and time-consuming.)

Depending on how you get the text into ID in the first place (placed Word/RTF file, manually keyed in, copied and pasted [don't do that ], etc.) you may experience text flow behaviors that are not exactly what you would expect.

• 3. Re: Right to left/left to right text in the same para?
            Harv123 Level 1

Cheers, however I tried this today, and just can't get the Hebrew to change...when imported in comes in the wrong way (back to front)...and then although we create and then apply a 'Hebrew' character style to it, which specifies right to left, nothing happens...the hebrew remains the same rtl direction.

Can sombody please give me a step by step guide to doing this...I feel I am doing it correctly, but it may be a very simple step I am missing.

Many thanks

• 4. Re: Right to left/left to right text in the same para?
              Michael Gianino Level 4

Hey Joel (and Harv123), I hope you don't mind me butting in, but are you saying that in the ME version, a Hebrew word that reads right-to-left can be placed within an (ex.) English paragraph that reads left-to-right, and you don't have to key it in backwards? I don't ever do this kind of work, so it's just for my own info, but you can change the order of a selected string of characters by applying a character style? If that's true, it's pretty cool.

• 5. Re: Right to left/left to right text in the same para?
                TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Harv:

Make sure the paragraph has the "Adobe World-ready Paragraph Composer"

applied. The regular paragraph composer won't work.

@Michael Gianino:

Yes, but you don't need to apply a character style. You can just apply a

right-to-left character direction (which setting can also be part of a

character style if you like).

Ariel

• 6. Re: Right to left/left to right text in the same para?
                  Harv123 Level 1

Thanks Ariel...I just can't get that to work though. If I apply the Adobe World-ready Paragraph Composer to the para, all of the text (including the English) goes right to left...not just the Hebrew.

The only way I can get around this at the moment it to cut and paste the Hebrew into a new text box, then apply the world composer...then place the hebrew back into the text flow...in an anchored box! A lot of hassle for something so simple...hence why I'm looking for the simple solution whcih I am sure is possible.

Also, if I try to 'just apply a right to left character direction' to the Hebrew, it doesn't change...nothing happens.

mmmmmmhhh???

• 7. Re: Right to left/left to right text in the same para?
                    TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure that the entire paragraph...

1. is a left-to-right paragraph

2. has LTR character direction applied

3. (ideally) has LTR keyboard direction applied

4. Has some form of "English" applied as the language.

Now apply a right-to-left direction to the text you want.

If it still doesn't work, that's truly weird.

Ariel

• 8. Re: Right to left/left to right text in the same para?
                      Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If it still doesn't work, that's truly weird.

This. There are a bunch of ways for this kind of thing to break - weirdness abounds in multilingual complex-script workflows! - but what Arïel describes should work.

If the text started as RTL in Word, and you import it without paying attention to paragraph styles, or to what language it is marked as, then ID's default directionality can be wrong. Also, if the text features characters that InDesign likes to perform automatic contextual direction changes (e.g. parentheses) then the directionality applied to characters marked for "default" direction can render in the wrong way. There are a bunch of other potential hitches. Harv, why don't you describe your workflow, and/or take a few screenshots for us? If the above doesn't work for you, I mean. Do you key text directly into ID? Or do you place some kind of text file? Or copy/paste? (Don't do that.) Is the Basic Paragraph style applied? Are there character styles or nested styles applied? Is there maybe a paragraph style being applied to your text frames by an object style? Et cetera.