16 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2013 3:14 PM by BobLevine RSS

Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2

SuOCar Community Member

I am running Win 7

I was pointed at a link for a free version of CS2.

I assume it is a valid free offer. There is no indication at the Adobe site link.

There is a PDF that describes how to install and, although, the file names mentioned are not exactly the same as those that are downloaded they appear to correspond and everything downloaded correctly (there is a slight problem with the disk 3 link, with a superfluous backslash at the end but that is easy to get over).

I did as specified, i.e. run the disk 2,3 and extras files to expand the content then I ran the disk 1 file and everything appears to be ok until it gets to the stage of requiring disk 2 and doesn't find it.

Unfortunately, there is no opportunity to point it at the (correct location on the) hard drive (whether it is looking there or at the CD drive I don't know). So, essentially, I am stuck at a message saying "Please insert CD 2 to continue installation". Any ideas?

• 2. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
          SuOCar Community Member

Oh, thanks for that. I'm not one for using software illegally.

On the other hand I thought CS2 might be a bit more advanced than my current software and it offered an opportunity to become familiar with PS (at least) rather than shelling out a usurious amount for software that probably doesn't offer any more functionality than a lot of free stuff on the market. I had already downloaded the time-limited CS6 and it didn't help me any more than my Illustrator 9 and CorelDraw 9 do.

Thanks for the response anyway.

• 3. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
            Adobe Employee

Effective December 13, Adobe disabled the activation server for CS2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers.  The software is not free, and is only being made available for those who already purchased a valid license.

• 4. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
              neckcarfan Community Member

I was drawn into this offer also, same situation as SuOCar and I wish to uninstall and when I go to control panel to uninstall  I get message "Missing or Invalid Personalization Information  Missing Resources  Library  I am running Windows prof 7 - How can I uninstall?

• 5. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
                PILOU75 Community Member

Hello. I have CS since yesterday but i need the key licence.

I don't find it on internet or else.

On my adobe account, nothing on the download screen.

What can i do ? Can you help me. Thanks

• 6. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
                  bkwater Community Member

i am having the same "insert cd 2..." problem - my download was legally provided by adobe as a replacement for my earlier version of cs which does not run on windows 7. please provide instructions for dealing with this - thanks....

• 7. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
                    alex-ccs Community Member

Double click on the CD2.exe file when prompt for extraction folder, use the same folder as CD1.

• 8. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
                      SuOCar Community Member

Well, except that isn't the instruction in the accompanying pdf. As in my original post, it says to extract cd 2,3 and extras prior to extracting 1. Of course, you can specify the same folder when extracting 1 as you specified for 2 but it still doesn't work.

• 9. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
                        secretagentmole Community Member

First run an unistaller like Revo Uninstaller it is free, select everything Adobe it drags up and then follow this procedure!

1. Right-click each file (.exe file)
                        2. Select Properties then go to the Compatibility tab.
                        3. Put a check on the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” then select the previous OS which do you think it worked. For your case select Windows XP with Service Pack 3
                        4. Then under Privilege Level, place a check on “Run this program as administrator”
                        5. Click Apply then OK.
                        ignore disk 1 (we will come back to this)
                        Click disk 2 - but change the Save Files in folder destination to
                        C:\Creative Suite CS2\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\
                        be default it goes to the wrong folder of C:\Creative Suite\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\ - This later brings up an error of insert disk 2.
                        If it says Unable to create the specified output folder! - just click OK
                        Click Next
                        Click Disk 3 - making sure the address is C:\Creative Suite CS2
                        Click Next
                        Install the Extra Files if you want to
                        Now Click Disk 1 - Destionation folder - C:\Creative Suite CS2
                        Ignore Quicktime 6 message
                        Accept Agreement
                        Enter Serial - 1130-1414-7569-4457-6613-5551
                        Now you need to change the location as C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe is not valid
                        change it to C:\Progra~2\Adobe
                        If the next button stays greyed out, click back then go forward with the next button. All should now be good
                        Install the entire suite or just the components you require.
                        Select Do not Register on drop down on the registration page

It works, I have done it and it works fine on Windows 7

• 10. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
                          Garwynn01 Community Member

Dear Adobe Staff & Community Admin,

While you may have intended this for only customers who had purchased this before... removing the license check and replacing with a version using a fixed serial number in the HTML fully available - without login - I really wonder how this can legally be enforced at this point.  Sure, you could shut down the serial with a patch, but the versions are far beyond their SDLC and probably would cost far more to do that than it is now worth.

For example: After the info was passed on to me by another I downloaded it and installed it.  No notice on the link I was given or the page that this required previous purchase or license... just download links and serials.  Not even randomized - fixed in HTML.  Whoever did this must have had approval to do so - you guys are a HUGE corporation!  Now what - we now all have to uninstall or face legal action?  Logistically how could you even prove the difference of someone who has the CD in a box and wanted a digital download copy or a person thinking they just got something awesome from you guys?  What about for us "measly" folks that only need a few things for which CS2 will still go above and beyond our needs?

Respectfully I hope that you guys review what's going on and come out with a public statement... and soon.  Not a forum response, a press release - something that will be seen by more than just people lurking the forums.  What is the story with CS2?  Are you going to enforce the threat that Don said and now put thousands or more at risk of legal action?  PR wise that would be a nightmare... just letting CS2 go at this point not only looks good for you but will probably generate even more interest by users where you may end up with new sales of current products after people get familiar with this one!  Why let this be a lose-lose when it could be a great win-win for both the public and Adobe - and generate great buzz for you in 2013?

Thank you for your time.

Garwynn (@XDAGarwynn on Twitter)

• 11. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
                            elfdude0 Community Member

As alex-ccs posted, when it prompts you for "CD 2", extract the CD 2 files to the same location that CD 1 was extracted into.  In my case, this was:

C:\Creative Suite CS2\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\

Then click "OK" on the cd insert prompt, and the installer will continue with the process.

• 12. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
                              Quananana Community Member

If you're already at the 'insert CD2' stage just move the contents of C:\Creative Suite\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0 to C:\Creative Suite 2.0\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0 and then click OK - just worked for me after reading this thread - thanks everyone - I'd achieved swearing stage before this.

• 13. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
                                Cystar Community Member

Installing CS2 on a Windows 8 64bit systems worked for me using the instructions below, followed to a "T".

"Be aware, this won't be for everyone. These are old programs, intended for use on Windows 2000/ XP and Mac OS X v.10.2.8–v.10.3.8 (PowerPC® G4 or G5 processor). We've managed to install CS2 on a 64-bit Windows 7 system, but this is unsupported and there's no telling what issues might crop up.

If you'd like just to try, though, here's what to do. Follow the download link to open a page at the Adobe site, and at a minimum download CreativeSuiteCS2Disc1.exe, CreativeSuiteCS2Disc2.exe and CreativeSuiteCS2Disc3.exe from the links at the top of the page (that's a bulky 1.07GB in total, so choose a system with a fast internet connection).

Run CreativeSuiteCS2Disc3.exe, make a note of the default extraction folder (it was C:\Creative Suite CS2 for us), and click Next > Finish.

Run CreativeSuiteCS2Disc2.exe, change the default extraction folder name to whatever it was for the previous file, and click Next > Finish.

Run CreativeSuiteCS2Disc1.exe. The extraction folder should be the same as it was for the Disc3 file, but change it if not, and click Next. (The aim of all this being that all the CS2 content should end up in the same folder.)

The installer will appear. Click Next and accept the licence agreement.

The "Personalization" screen then asks for your registration details. Enter your name, (optionally) company, and the serial number 1130-0412-8377-1896-9751-5759 (you can paste this from the clipboard).

Next, the installer asks where to install Creative Suite 2. By default this was C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe on our Windows 7 x64 system, but it immediately complained that "The path your selected for installation contains unsupported characters". This is misleading; the real problem is just that the installer is using a long file name. Manually enter C:\Progra~1\Adobe as the folder name on 32-bit Windows, C:\Progra~2\Adobe on a 64-bit system, press Tab > Next and all should be well.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/downloads/3328873/adobe-creative-suite-2/#ixzz2TI45RP5Z

You then get to choose to install some, or all of the suite's components. Your options are Adobe Illustrator CS2 (600MB), Adobe InDesign CS2 (400MB), Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Adobe ImageReady CS2 (450MB), and Adobe Version Cue CS2 (300MB).

We opted for the "Entire Suite" option, and clicked Next.

A Summary screen appears listing all the choices you've made so far. If there's a mistake, click "Back" and change it, otherwise click Install.

If a message appears telling you to "Insert CD 2 to continue installation", open Explorer, and switch to the default extraction folder (we'll assume it's C:\Creative Suite CS2). Manually copy the C:\Creative Suite CS2\Adobe InDesign CS2 and C:\Creative Suite CS2\Adobe Version Cue CS2 folders and their contents to C:\Creative Suite CS2\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0. Switch back to the installer, click OK and it should now continue.

Once installation is complete (which should only take 3 or 4 minutes, not the "up to 20" suggested by the setup program) a Registration dialog will appear. There's no need to bother registering, really - these are free tools, you're not going to get any support running them on modern PCs anyway - so the best option is probably to choose the "Do not register" option, and click Next > Done.

And with any luck, you should now have installed CS2. The issues may not end there, but you should at least now be able to launch and try out its various applications.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/downloads/3328873/adobe-creative-suite-2/#ixzz2TI3v0aP3"

• 14. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
                                  valerieab Community Member

Danke beaucoup to secretagentmole! I had tried and failed three times to get this thing installed. Your instructions finally did the trick.

• 15. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
                                    peterbrzy Community Member

I am having fits with this.

I actually own a license to CS2 but it won't let me install my version; had to go through the download and install prodecures as shown -- very similar to what Adobe recommends but with some differences, such as the installation folder re-name.

I go through the whole process, get to the personalization screen, enter the serial number, select the programs I want to install...

And the install flashes very quickly, says finished but nothing is installed at all.

Would greatly appreciate assistance.  I follow these instructions exactly, uninstalling completely before trying again and again.

I'm on Windows 8, 64-bit.

• 16. Re: Free version of CS2 - unable to install - please insert CD 2
                                      BobLevine UGM

CS2 is totally unsupported on anything later than Windows XP. You're on your

own I'm afraid.