27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2013 5:30 PM by A.T. Romano
      • 1. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
        stacynmanolo

I imported videos to my elements organizer and want to start building an integrated video on my premiere elements 11, but when I hit editor, the video imported is just a teal or black screen.  What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

• 2. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
          the_wine_snob Level 9

With that teal, or black screen, the first thing that I would check is the video driver. As PrE interfaces with it more, than PSE does, it will reveal problems, that are not seen otherwise.

What is the make and model of your video card?

What is the version number and date, of the installed driver?

See this article for more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4943624#4943624

Hunt

• 3. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
            msnexplorer

Upgraded pc, and lost the original Photoshop elements slideshow file somehow.  Still have the Premiere elements .wmv file and .prel file.  What is the extension of the photoshop slideshow file so I can search that way to see if the file is still out there somewhere.  Also, is there a way to convert the .prel file back to the photoshop slideshow file?  I would like to edit this slideshow to add additional photos onto the end.  I currently have version 8 of both products, and can upgrade to version 10 of photoshop.  Holding off on the upgrade till I figure out how to get this missing file back.  Thanks.

• 4. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
              A.T. Romano Level 7

msnexplorer

The Photoshop Elements Organizer Create Slideshow Editor project that you saved to the Organizer has a .psess file extension.

It is a creation of the Organizer and is a property of the catelog not the hard drive as would be the case if you save the slideshow as a wmv.

1. I see no reason why you cannot stay within Premiere Elements with the .psess file, use the Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow command, and then add photos.

there in Premiere Elements without revisiting Photoshop Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor

but...

2. If you have the Premiere Elemens 8.0/8.0.1 project.prel file that received the the slideshow from Photoshop Elements 8, look to the Project Media area for two assets there. One will be a folder with the slideshow's individual assets and the other will be the .video (non wmv) file.(copy of which was automatically placed on the Timeline of the Premiere Elements project that opened to receive it.

Go to the copy of the video (non wmv) in Project Media, right click the video (non wmv) there, and select Edit Original. If all goes well, the Photoshop Elements 8 Elements Organizer should open to the Slideshow Editor to display the .psess slideshow. Lots of should's in there.

Please check it out and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                msnexplorer Level 1

1. Right clicking in the sceneline on the slideshow has the Break Apart Elements option low-lighted, I can't select.

2. From the windows menu I selected Available Media, only the .wmv is listed.  Edit Original on this file, just starts playing the movie.

Am I trying to implement your two suggestions correctly?

Any other ideas on how to restore the .prel or .wmv or I also have a .dvd; to a format that I can edit?

Thank You.

• 6. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

msnexplorer

Please try to implement my suggestion working from the Timeline view, not the Sceneline view of your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

If you do not have a damaged project.prel and both Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and Photoshop Elements 8 are in the equation, my plan "should" work.

If what I have suggested does not work from the Timeline view, please detail why not so that I can gauge what might be happening. That information will allow me to try to think of another possible route to success.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                    msnexplorer Level 1

Same results with timeline view.  It’s possible the slideshow that I made was made in version 4.0 (.psess) of Photoshop and 2.0 of premiere (.prel).  What I upgraded to sometime ago is version 8 of both products.

Do the versions make any difference?

• 8. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

msnexplorer

I suspect that this latest set of details is clouding the way to success.

Typically we would be looking at integrated Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements set. I thought that we were working with Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 which would considered an integrated set.

Let approach this from a different angle.

Have you any idea what version of Premiere Elements your project.prel came from? Reflecting back, the concept of integrated combos of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements did not appear until the combo of Photoshop Elements 5 and Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2. Along with that came the perk of the Premiere Elements' Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow to do just that for the slideshow that it received from the Photoshop Elements side.

Unless you have additional details that would support us getting to the goal, I think that the path of least resistance might be:

a. if you can open the project.prel in question in Premiere Elements 10, then do so.

b. After you have the slideshow on the Timeline, then use the Split Clip (Scissors Tool) to cut the slideshow at the spots where you want to insert additional pictures. You may have to add back transitions and such.

The Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow would have been perfect for you to make your edits of the slideshow in Premiere Elements. But that command is only available in Premiere Elements under certain condition:

a. You must be dealing with integrated combos of the programs, example, 5/3, 6/4, 7/7, 8/8, 9/9, 10/10, 11/11. There are a few loopholes in all that but I do not see them helping us at this time.

b. You would have had to Output the Photoshop Elements to Premiere Elements with the Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor "Send to Premiere Elements or Edit with Premiere Elements Editor".

Bottom line: if your task is going to involve more than the version 8 combo, then I think it best to try to open the project.prel that you have and break it apart yourself with the Split Clip Tool of Premiere Elements.

And, did you say if this project.prel does open in Premiere Elements 10 without any missing media (Media Offline) messages?

We will be watching for further information and developments. Please let me know if I have misinterpreted any of your information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                        msnexplorer Level 1

The version the prel was built with was the photoshop 4.0/premiere 2.0 that was purchased and installed as a combo at the same time.  I built the slideshow in photoshop 4.0 and then output it to premiere elements 2.0 just to create a .wmv file that my roxio software could then create a .dvd from.  I currently have 8.0 installed for both.  I have not upgraded to 10.0 for photoshop yet, am trying to fix the lost slideshow issue first.  Can I use the .dvd to convert back to a slideshow?

• 10. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

msnexplorer

1. Do you still have the Premiere Elements 2.0 project.prel file? If so, if you right click the Premiere Elements 2.0 project.prel file, select Open With, and then Premiere Elements 8.0, will it open? If it opens, does the open project then display your intact project? Unless you have the media that went into that still in the same place as at import, you will be hit with a lot of Media Offline messages.

2. To recover your media and move forward, you could consider that DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc as the source of media lost. What was the format of that, standard 4:3 or widescreen 16:9.

a. Put the DVD in the DVD burner tray.

b. Open Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, set the project preset, either NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen or its PAL counterpart if you are working in PAL.

c. Then Get Media/DVD (Camcorder or PC DVD Drive)/Adobe Premiere Elements - Media Downloader and its Advanced Interface. Set "Get Media From" to the drive (see top of Media Downloader)

d. All you want is the VTS_01_1.VOB, so check mark next to it only. Then hit the Get Media button in the dialog.

e. It is going to be the whole video stream. So unless you want to made your additions at the beginning or the end, you will need to cut the video. You can do that with the Split Clip Tool (Scissors Tool) or you can double click your file in the Organize section to open the Preview Window and trim the video into clips from there with the Preview Window's Set In and Set Out points. Have you used the Preview Window before if any of your projects?

See how all that goes. Have you seen the following on catalog upgrade issues?

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/common-catalog-issues-upgrade-elements.html

Did you ever upgrade the Photoshop Elements 4 Catelog to Photoshop Elements 8?

Please let us know how you are progressing.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                            msnexplorer Level 1

Yep, the 2.0 prel opens in 8.0 without any Media offline messages.

I did not select to upgrade the 4.0 catelog when I upgraded to 8 because I didn’t think I was storing anything there.

However, I went to the catalog link below and discovered that the 4.0 catalog has a .psa extension.  I do have a file called My Catalog.psa.  Can I retrieve the .psess from there?

• 12. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

msnexplorer

I am suspecting that you are going to run into the Media Offline problem down the line, but let us give this a try.

Open Photoshop Elements 8 Organizer. Go To File Menu/Catalog/ and on to the Catalog Manager Dialog.

Click on Convert. Go through the list of catelogs and see if you can find your Photoshop Elements 4 catalog. If you do find it, click on it to highlight it, and click on Convert and then Done.

Let us see what happens.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                msnexplorer Level 1

I think we’re closer!

I tried the steps below in Elements 8 organizer to Convert the catalog… but it says my file is the wrong file type.  It is “My Catalog.psa”.

So I loaded Photoshop 4.0 onto an old laptop (running XP), along with a copy of the old My Catalog.psa. I did the Open Catalog option and pointed to the copy of My Catalog.psa.  I now have access to the photoshop slide show that I created.  The transitions, panning, timing of the slide, etc is all there.  The actual photos are missing as well as the music, I’m guessing because the photos and corresponding music were removed from the old laptop and moved to my new one.  So I should be able to restore them at some point.  The question is… How do I get the slide show that seems to be hidden in the old My Catalog.psa file now on my old laptop upgraded to the photoshop 8.0 that I have on my new laptop?  Then, how to I take that older slideshow that was upgraded to 8.0 + any other slide shows I created in 8.0 (windows 7) and upgrade to the 10.0 version of photoshop and not loose anything?

Thanks!

• 14. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

msnexplorer

I am not sure this will work but...

Do you have the original files that are missing from the slideshow that you now partially recovered in Photoshop Elements 4 Slideshow Editor? If the missisng files are all on Photoshop Elements 8 hard drive by now, then make copies, put the copies in one folder and transfer that folder to the desktop of the computer where Photoshop Elements 4 is.

With the Missing Media messages, reconnect your media to the Photoshop Elements 4 Slideshow in Photoshop Elements 4. Then save the slideshow with the Save Project button to save the slideshow as your updated Slide Show Project (.psess).

Make sure you know the name of the catalog that you are using in Photoshop Elements 4. Close out of there.

Open Photoshop Elements 8 and then convert the Photoshop Elements 4 catalog as described in the prior post (#12).

Please review and let us know if any of it sounds or is promising of trying to recover a slideshow .pseuss.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                    msnexplorer Level 1

How do you tell Photoshop that the slideshow pictures are in a new folder.  For instance the folder was on drive C on old PC but on drive G in the new one.  The option to reconnect files, seems to only work on .jpg’s in the catalogue, but has no effect on the pictures that are in the slideshow.

• 16. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

msnexplorer

Can you see the thumbnail for the slideshow in the Elements Organizer, including the Slide Show Project label at its top right corner of the thumbnail when you place your mouse cursor over it?

If yes, double click it to open it.

If all is going well, it should not open. Instead you should be seeing a missing media dialog trying to find your media on its own.

Hit browse, to open the two sided dialog. The right portion is where you will do the reconnecting. There is a field right above for you to designate where you want to browse to. Under Computer, locate your G drive and the folder with your media. Start reconnecting.

I will try to get you some screenshots of the dialogs involved if you can get into that phase based on what I have just described.

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 17. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                        msnexplorer Level 1

I have the thumbnail, when I double click on the top right (which just indicates that it’s a ‘creation’), it opens the slideshow for editing.  The missing pictures show a black slide (no errors occur).  If you play the slideshow, those slides just play through as black.

• 18. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

msnexplorer

Let us try this approach.

Are the photos for the slideshow currently in the Elements Organizer?

If yes and you get black thumbnails in the Slideshow Editor, then, in the Slideshow Editor, go to Add Media/Photos and Videos from Elements Organizer. Do you end up with just the photos or photos plus black scenes from before.

ATR

• 19. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                            msnexplorer Level 1

No, they are all stored in the Window’s file structure.  I made folders for all of my photo’s based on date and event.  To add to slide show, I used the Add Media Photos and Videos from Folder option.  Also, I do not see an option to display for a given slide, the file name or location for the photo on that slide.  I was hoping to right click on a given slide and find a properties option, but there is none. So I’m having to view the DVD created from the original slide show, to identify which picture goes with which black slide in the photoshop slide show.

Side note, the only items I store in the Organizer are the projects that Adobe will not allow me to store outside of the catalog, like the slide show.

• 20. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

msnexplorer

At this point, how many photos are involved that need to get back into the slideshow?

ATR

• 21. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                                msnexplorer Level 1

About 100, but the main issue to do it manually, is that I don’t know how to ‘change’ the slide photo, so I have to add/insert a new slide with the photo containing the correct file link, then edit the slide to set the correct display time, transition,  and panning again.  Then delete the black slide I needed to replace.  Very labor intensive.

• 22. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                                  msnexplorer Level 1

Also, somehow I managed to clean the old 4.0 My Catalog.psa file up enough to ‘Convert’ it into 8.0.  But I did not see any option to ‘merge’ it with the existing 8.0 Catalog.  So now I have 2 different 8.0 Catalogs that I can access from Photoshop elements organizer.  Progress, certainly, but I would like to just have one 8.0 Catalog that I access in the photoshop/premier elements 8.0 organizer.  Is there an option to do this?

• 23. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

msnexplorer

If you go to Elements Organizer 8, File Menu/Catalog/Catalog Manager, in the Catalog Manager dialog, do you see the Catalog that you want? If so, is it listed as "current". If it is, then you should see the .psess in the Elements Organizer 8 Organizer (Show All). If it is not listed as "current", can you select it and then click Open?

ATR

• 24. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                                      msnexplorer Level 1

Not sure which question you are replying to.  I have 2 catalogs now with all of my slideshows (4.0 & 8.0 ), all converted and in the 8.0 organizer.  Can I combine these 2 now fully functioning catalogs so that I only have one catalog with all the ‘creations/projects’ in it, rather than having to switch between 2 catalogs to work on the different creations/projects?

The other outstanding issue, is how do I direct the pictures in an existing slideshow, so that it looks for the picture files in a new file structure on drive G?

Thanks.

• 25. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

msnexplorer

I have heard of converting catalog but never merging catalogs. So, until proven otherwise, I think one catalog or the other.

As for

The other outstanding issue, is how do I direct the pictures in an existing slideshow, so that it looks for the picture files in a new file structure on drive G?

I am trying to work through some scenario on that to get the catalog that has the slideshow to recognize the photos for the slideshow on your G drive.

Recap...making sure we are in sync

1. The photos are on the G drive and are not represented in any way in the Elements Organizer 8.

2. The catalog in which the slideshow exists can now be found via File Menu/Catalog/Catalog Manager and the Catalog Manager dialog.

Are those two items correct? If so, I will see what I can do.

ATR

• 26. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                                          msnexplorer Level 1

Yes, those two recap’s are correct. Thanks.

• 27. Re:  Sharing files between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

msnexplorer

I have tried every trick that I can think of to unite your media with that .psess file under the conditions and scenarios discussed. No luck. A list to be supplied on request.

Until proven otherwise, the ideal situation would have been to convert the Photoshop Elements 4 catalog in Photoshop Elements 8. I think that what you would like to do is beyond the point of no return. Ripping the VOBs from the DVD seems to be the leader in what next.

The experts for the Advanced Elements Organizer are over in the Photoshop Elements User to User Forum here. Have you sought an opinion there? Barbara Brundage is an excellent resource. Perhaps you might catch her attention in that forum. The removal of the source media from the Elements Organizer was the major block to any success for me in what followed in trying to get the .psess to recognize the same source media on the G drive which was no longer part of the Elements Organizer. As you probably have found out, importing the media into the Elements Organizer did not get it recognized by the Elements Organizer slideshow with all those black scenes.

ATR