2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 7:38 AM by edknightphoto.com RSS

Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop

edknightphoto.com Community Member

I'm getting the "Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop" error on a .psd file in CS6.

System:  2-week old clean install of Windows 8 (x64) & clean install of an updated CS6 (13.01) on a new PC.

The file in question is flat 17,000+ x 5,000+ pixel, 16 bit, 540mb file.  The source, layered file (Same pixel dimensions, but created with CS5) saves as a .psd and loads OK.  However, when I flatten & save the file in CS6, this error appears when I attempt to reload.  Bridge also refuses to produce a thumbnail.  I've saved under different file names before & after a reboot with no resolution.  When saved as a compressed .tif, it loads OK.

Fortunately I have the layered source file, so no work is lost in this instance. I've used PS for several years without a problem with .psd/.psb files, but I'm questioning whether it's smart to save important CS6 work using this format.

Is there some setting or other fix that will improve the reliability of .psd files?

Thanks for any hints.

• 1. Re: Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop
          c.pfaffenbichler Community Member

Are you saving locally or across a network?

Can you reproduce the issue with the layered file on another machine?

What have you done for general trouble-shooting so far (trashing prefs by keeping command-alt-shift/ctrl-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed, 3rd party plug-ins deactivation, system maintenance, cleaning caches, verifying the disks, font validation, etc.)?

What is the Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling > Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility-setting?

I've used PS for several years without a problem with .psd/.psb files, but I'm questioning whether it's smart to save important CS6 work using this format.

So far I see no reason to question the validity of the file formats.

• 2. Re: Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop
            edknightphoto.com Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply, CP

FYI, the file is a photographic panorama based on several .CR2 photos taken in July, 2012 and processed in CS5's camera RAW/Photoshop.  Beyond the metadata, here are no fonts or text in the file.

1.  I changed Maximize ...File Capability from "Never" to "Always" and the flattened file saved and loaded OK, though I can't figure why given Adobe's description of this option. "If you work with PSD and PSB files in older versions of Photoshop or applications that don’t support layers, you can add a flattened version of the image to the saved file...".  The file saved in this manner is ~8% larger and is not my preference as a routine since I've TB's of photo files.  By the way, out of thousands of .psd/.psb files, the one being discussed is the first to give me the error.

2.  I've tried saving/reloading the file on another computer with Win XP Sp3/CS5...again with Maximize Capability OFF.  Same problem.  Turn ON Maximize Capability and it works.  As with the Win 8 machine, Bridge could neither create a thumbnail or read Metadata.

3.  I've purged the Bridge Cache, made sure there were no old PS page files, reset PS preferences, and disabled my 2 plugins with no change in the problem.  Windows and Adobe progs are all updated.  Saving to a different HDD has no effect.

The problem occurs on 2 computers (Win XP/Win 8), two versioins of Photoshop (CS5/CS6), and "Maximize" On/Off togles the problem.  My guess it is a bug in PSD processing routines.

If I can't find a fix, will keep with Maximize ON and deal with the larger files that result...the cost of insurance, I suppose.

Thanks again