9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2013 12:49 PM by farazzakirhusain

facing issue with concurrent use of session

Day cq5 developer Level 1

Hi All,

We are facing concurrent use of session.save call in our LDAP sycn up process. Issue we got while performing performance test for multiple user and issue is at com.day.crx.security.ldap.LDAPUserSync.performUpdate api. Please guide me what could be wrong missing in code due to this Out of box service is showing error.

Below are logs:

02.01.2013 14:32:07 WARN SessionState: Attempt to perform session.save() while another thread is concurrently writing to session-system-1. Blocking until the other thread is finished using this session. Please review your code to avoid concurrent use of a session. (SessionState.java, line 149)

java.lang.Exception: Stack trace of concurrent access to session-system-1

at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.session.SessionState.perform(SessionState.java:147)

at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.SessionImpl.perform(SessionImpl.java:355)

at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.SessionImpl.save(SessionImpl.java:758)

at com.day.crx.security.ldap.LDAPUserSync.performUpdate(LDAPUserSync.java:230)

at com.day.crx.security.ldap.LDAPUserSync.syncUser(LDAPUserSync.java:178)

at com.day.crx.security.ldap.LDAPLoginModule.commit(LDAPLoginModule.java:266)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor36.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.invoke(LoginContext.java:769)

at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.access$000(LoginContext.java:186)

Regards,

Yogesh

• 1. Re: facing issue with concurrent use of session
          Ove Lindström Level 4

Are you using the same user to do all tasks in the performance-test or do you have one user per performance-thread?

If you are using one and only one user that logs in from all performance-threads, then it would be like the same user had a lot of browser windows opened at the same time and clicking like crazy. It is not a likely scenario, but it could happen so the session handler guards some of the events in the session, such as save.

• 2. Re: facing issue with concurrent use of session

Hi Ove ,

We are not using one user for all tasks. There will different user per task.  So we are using one user per performance-thread.

Regards,

Yogesh

• 3. Re: facing issue with concurrent use of session
              Ove Lindström Level 4

Good, that is the first thing to look at.

Do you know what you are trying to do?

When I handle sessions, I tend to guard the session as much as possible. If I need to send something from the session to another class/worker, I strive to only send the data needed. If I send the session, then I never manipulate on the session itself if I can avoid it and if I have a fork somewhere in the code, I collect all the data that is needed from the separare legs and then assemble, set and commit them at one point in the code. I don't think this is such a case, rather some sort of multiple calls that tries to do the same thing.

• 4. Re: facing issue with concurrent use of session

We are trying to achieve how many user can be served at peak time and how many open session CQ can support. We are also checking open session should not cross 100 after all request serverd. We have minimized to below 100 and still minimizing to make it 0. As you said we are  handling session commit at the end of process and logout either in exception case and there is finally block call to close if any other session still alive. Will check are there any multiple calls for doing same thing.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: facing issue with concurrent use of session
                  Jörg Hoh Adobe Employee

Which version of CQ5/CRX are you using? What hotfix level?

Anyway: This is a warning about a potential problem, which is avoided by delaying some other operations. So not an issue in the first place.

Secondly, for me it seems, that you import lot of users concurrently from the LDAP. This means, that you either have thousands of users, which just do a single request to CQ5, and are therefor for every request the respective user is imported. Or the lifetime of cached principals ("cache.expiration" in your JAAS config) is set to a very low value.

And as a last tip: Please report this to Daycare.

Thanks,

Jörg

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: facing issue with concurrent use of session

We are using CQ 5.4 and  crx-hotfixpack-2.2.0.75-2.3.24 on our prod environment.

Could you please suggest what is standard value or proportion for cache.maxsize and cache.expiration in terms of number of hits?

Thanks

Yogesh

• 7. Re: facing issue with concurrent use of session
                      Jörg Hoh Adobe Employee

defaults:

* cache.maxsize = 1000

* cache.expiration = 600 (= 10 minutes)

These values should be sufficient for 99% of all authoring usecases. Sadly there are no statistics available about the usage of this cache.

Jörg

1 person found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: facing issue with concurrent use of session
                        farazzakirhusain

Hey Jorg,

Your comments are much appreicated!

question about the statement "it seems, that you import lot of users concurrently from the LDAP".  for us yes we are but the question is should that me problamatic?  We do see that it is causing issues for us  in CQ5.5 with CRX 2.3.15:

com.day.crx.security.ldap.LDAPLoginModule commit: could not commit: javax.jcr.InvalidItemStateException: property /some/LDAP/group/rep:lastsynced: the property cannot be saved because it has been modified externally.

However we had no such issue with CQ5.3 with CRX2.0

-Faraz