5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2013 9:43 AM by emil emil

sorting duplicates via colour profiles

ghostanime2001 Level 1

Hi there I am a new photoshop user, I have lots of pictures around 3000+ and I need to remove the duplicates. There has to be a better way than just eye balling through them all and removing them manually. Can I sort of pictures by colour profiles so that if photoshop scans an image and recognizes the colour trend or whatever and tries to find another picture in the same folder with the same or similar colour profile and group them so I can see if they match or not ? Thanks !

• 1. Re: sorting duplicates via colour profiles
          emil emil Level 4

What kind of duplicates are you talking about? If it is a copy of the same file with another name you can sort them by file size or date picture taken.

• 2. Re: sorting duplicates via colour profiles
            ghostanime2001 Level 1

Suppose you have two pictures created say 2 months apart but they are duplicates. If I were to sort pictures by file size I would still need to eye-ball through all 3000 pics to see any duplicates. If there was a way to sort pictures by colour scanning or colour profiles, and group pictures that have the same colour profile one can easily spot duplicates. Or maybe technology like that hasn't been developed yet ?

• 3. Re: sorting duplicates via colour profiles
              emil emil Level 4

Well there are image recognition software already but only you can tell if it would work for you. To try how this technology works make a Google image search by dropping an image from your computer to the search field and see if the resulted images are duplicates as you expect.

• 4. Re: sorting duplicates via colour profiles
                ghostanime2001 Level 1

I already know google can do that. I do not have internet images but I have images of vacations, family, facebook, and more pictures from the past that were transferred betwen different devices and just recently I have made the decision to put them all in one flash drive. However i know there are many duplicates and I am estimating that deleting those duplicates would bring the number of pics down to atleast 2000 - 2500. Do you know any image recognition sorting pictures that fits my intention ?

• 5. Re: sorting duplicates via colour profiles
                  emil emil Level 4

My point was if the Google image recognition is good enough for you. Drop one of your family pictures in the search filed and see if the search result is what you would consider similar pictures. If you are happy then you should be able to find a software solution, just search Google for image recognition program / software and see what's available. Other than Google which won't work for most of my needs in that respect, I haven't used or tried other solutions but I would assume that they won't be that much different than Google's