6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2007 1:19 AM by Newsgroup_User

Director + Microsoft Excel

Sam43054
      I had Director MX 2004 for Mac... It does not work to well on Intel Macs ... so I can't really try this out

Question--

Once Director 11 comes out (assume that it will work with Intel Macs) Can I ask Director to pull text out of a cell (A2) and put it into a director 'field' ?

• 1. Re: Director + Microsoft Excel
          Level 7
          I wouldn't think so, not on a Mac. On Windows there is at least one xtra
          that should allow this, but it won't work on a Macintosh.
          • 2. Re: Director + Microsoft Excel
            McFazstp Level 1
            Just out of interest what problems did you have with MX 2004 on an Intel Mac? I haven't had any issues running Director or published projectors.

• 3. Re: Director + Microsoft Excel
              Sam43054 Level 1
              "Just out of interest what problems did you have with MX 2004 on an Intel Mac? I haven't had any issues running Director or published projectors. "

I have a MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Due. With 2 GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

The 'problem' is that the fans kick on at *(what I am guessing is Max speed) Have not tried a projector... but the Program does for sure cause the fans to spin full blast ** From the time you start the program. ,

Don't know if its a CPU or GPU problem

But can't be good for the laptop? yes? no?

• 4. Re: Director + Microsoft Excel
                Sam43054 Level 1
                Sorry, I should have stated that I was going to develop using a Mac and test and use under Windows XP

I own a Mac

The project would be used in a XP work place

The projector and XML would be Windows platform :-)
                • 5. Re: Director + Microsoft Excel
                  Level 7
                  > The projector and XML would be Windows platform :-)

Did I miss something? Where and when did XML enter the equation?
                  Either way, I think you'd be more sensible to develop and test on
                  Windows than try to work up a file on a Mac. Perhaps with Parallels
                  running XP or Vista, but ...
                  • 6. Re: Director + Microsoft Excel
                    Level 7
                    Sam43054 wrote:
                    > I had Director MX 2004 for Mac... It does not work to well on Intel
                    > Macs ... so I can't really try this out
                    >
                    > Question--
                    >
                    > Once Director 11 comes out (assume that it will work with Intel Macs)
                    > Can I ask Director to pull text out of a cell (A2) and put it into a
                    > director 'field' ?

You /might/ be able to do it with AppleScript. You could try recording the
                    actions of opening the xls file, copying the content of cell A2, then
                    opening whatever the default text editor is on a Mac, pasting the content,
                    telling the editor it's a plain text file, then saving it somewhere. I
                    suspect you'd have to edit the resulting script to make it save somewhere
                    the user will have permission to save - the user's home folder is normally
                    designated by ~ on unix.

Unless you can find an xtra which interacts with Excel docs on a Mac - have
                    a look at
                    http://www.updatestage.com/MileHighTableOfProducts/products.shtml

Andrew